Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 03:11 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Batteries in EVs deplete a lot faster in cold weather and take a lot longer to charge as well so there was a rush on the EV stations and cars would sit for hours charging.
The problem with lithium battery is they don't run well when it's cold so car makers have to keep the battery warm by using heaters which consumes a lot of energy. You lose a lot of range because the car has to keep the battery warm.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:25 PM

8,329 posts, read 2,959,252 times
And with extreme heat they have issues not as bad as extreme cold.

“On average, EVs lose 17% of their range when the temperature reaches 95 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s a smaller drop than you can expect in cold weather, but it’s still potentially disruptive. Plus, charging and storing your EV in extreme heat can shorten the battery’s life.”

https://www.chase.com/personal/auto/...ffect-ev-range

“Heat wave lowers driving range in some EVs by 31%” https://www.autonews.com/mobility-re...ge-some-evs-31

Last edited by Leona Valley; 01-18-2024 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-18-2024, 03:35 PM

9,833 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
And with extreme heat they have issues not as bad as extreme cold.

“On average, EVs lose 17% of their range when the temperature reaches 95 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s a smaller drop than you can expect in cold weather, but it’s still potentially disruptive. Plus, charging and storing your EV in extreme heat can shorten the battery’s life.”

https://www.chase.com/personal/auto/...ffect-ev-range
Makes sense. Some hacks saying when recharging any rechargeable battery and it gets warm they say let it cool for a little before continuing the recharge.

Also in summer alot use the a/c all the time just as many use the heat in withe winter.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:37 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They HAD work/life balance. People weren't working all hours in the old days, they were home for dinner and on weekends. Nothing was open 24 hours/7 days a week. My grandfather had an auto parts store in Philly, he worked hard, but he wasn't open till 9 pm, he was open till 5, then he came home and had dinner with his family. And most mothers didn't have to work at all, but could stay home and raise kids. It was nothing like today where you're getting texts from work even on weekends, and they want you to work Saturdays to make up for using a sick day, and work 5-6 hours a week off the clock (my job is all the above). It wasn't a rat race like it is today for most jobs.

Just look at bank jobs for an easy comparison. 50 years ago, if you worked at a bank, you were done shortly after the bank closed at 3pm. No weekends at all. Now if you work at a bank, you might be working till 8pm on Thursday and Friday nights, and 6pm on the others, and you might be working Saturday and Sunday, too. And your schedule might change week to week. For the same very low wages it was in the past, but without the perk of good hours and consistent schedule.

And COL was lower, so it was easier to make it on even a lower salary. My brother had a home and stay at home wife on a Goodyear beginning mechanic salary. While half our CNAs work double shifts several days a week just to pay their basic bills. How do you have work/life balance working 16 hour days?
Just a couple of points:

1. The citizens of Norway are happy in great part because they are rich because they won the natural resources lottery.
A. Norway extracts lots and lots of oil and natural gas and it has riches in commodity metals, fish etc.
B. Norway is a very small and overwhelming white ergo there is little racial strife.
C. Back to money Norway's Sovereign Wealth Fund holds roughly $270,000 per capita.

______

2. So far as working more or less according to US Dept. of Labor in the '40s the average worker logged ~42hrs. per week now it's around 35. Further those who earn more work more.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:55 PM

560 posts, read 335,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Their ability to be a successful welfare state (and that is a good term to them) is due to the government owning the oil and gas reserves.

What happens to them when the world moves to wind and solar ?

There will always be plenty of emerging economies and possibly backwards moving dumb 1st world economies reliant on oil for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:00 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Any new tech will have issues. Anyone remember computers in the early 1990s? Yikes.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:59 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Any new tech will have issues. Anyone remember computers in the early 1990s? Yikes.
LOL. Yes. Got my first desktop computer in 1992. 80mb hard drive. I thought I'd never be able to fill that drive up.

As for electric vehicles. I think of them kind of like the Betamax. Early technology, will be nuanced over time, prices will hopefully come down, infrastructure will grow, maybe new fuel cell tech. Until the product fits my particular needs, I'm staying with hybrid.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:36 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Yes its new technology and will improve but I'm 80 and couldn't wait, I have a bolt.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:40 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
My "Solyandra 2.0" was a reference back to Obama and his pitch for solar panels and all the money the government gave to them and they went belly up anyway.
Yes, you and I are talking about the same exact event.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:14 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
People have just now discovered this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies