Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 08:35 AM

43,087 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The article didn't say, but is it the charges that aren't working in the cold, or is it the car or batteries that are the problem?

I have some experience working with electronics in the cold, and if they are not hardened for frigid temperatures they can fail
They have stories about what happened last winter with the "arctic blasts".
The EV's won't go as far, they need charging more often and it takes twice as long to charge.
They said EV's were good for short trips but not long trips in the cold.
This was Christmas time last year with plenty of articles on this if you look.

It should be no surprise..even batteries have "minimum optimal temperatures" to work correctly and take a charge.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:40 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Who is surprised by this?

My key fob has a hard time working when it's this cold in the Midwest ... what the hell did people think was going to happen to the actual EV?

Bunch of frickin' morons.
Probably someone who has never used a cordless/battery operated tool. Or paid attention to the actually battery life and charging times of their phones, computers etc. Can't put an ev/charger next to the night stand.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:43 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
just like banning incandescent bulbs, the market solved it by developing superior led lighting. i am confident Chinese EV makers will solve the issues plaguing EVs so that everyone can own an EV regardless of the temperature. also, if everyone had an EV the climate would stop changing and you no longer would have to worry about extreme hot or cold weather as the earth will reach a static temperature of 72 degrees and the north and south poles will be static at negative 500 degrees so the ice caps will always be frozen.
The problem was, government rushed ahead to ban incandescent bulbs before we had developed the LED bulbs that were acceptable.

We all suffered with these horrible fluorescent bulbs that failed often, were slow to turn on, slow to brighten and contained mercury. It was not until many years later that the private sector caught up to our needs.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
That's interesting, I wouldn't have figured that. I don't think he was referring to degradation over time though. I think he meant if it's cold it depletes faster then and there.
Heat is the enemy to EV batteries

Old 01-16-2024, 08:49 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Because gas vehicles always start in freezing cold temperatures? Uh-huh.

As a preface I'm an EV believer. The day Jeep or Ford offers a high torque low center of gravity/mass EV 4x4/offroader I'll be a buyer.

Gasoline freezes at around -99F.
A decently charged auto battery freezes at around -35/-40F.
Modern fuel injection systems yield many times easier/better cold starts than carb systems of yore - even modern diesels cold start well.....thank you ceramic glow-plugs.

Somewhere around Avon CO. we keep a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee turbo diesel 4x4 it cold starts just fine every time, Howes keeps the diesel from jelling. Full disclosure, it's usually garaged and I do keep it on a Marine style battery charger as we sometimes go months without being there. That said I've cold started the thing after motel stays and on hunting trips in temps well below zero. No problem ever.

So yea a good ICE with fuel injection is a 100X better bet in very cold climates than current EVs.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
exactly. buy 'em if you like 'em, but the government shouldn't be forcing ICEs off the market and EVs onto it
Exactly! But putting the horse before the cart is what the zealots in government do best.

Since we are talking about Chicago, many homeowners park in the street in front of their house. It's first come first served, so it's not a guarantee that your spot will not be taken. Someone on the pro-EV side needs to figure out how those people parking their ICE vehicles in the street, will be able to charge their EV, after the government bans ICE vehicles.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
And which component is the culprit? That would be the battery

Old 01-16-2024, 09:16 AM

18,459 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:

No, but the difficulties with ICE vehicles in cold weather are easier to mitigate and prevent.

Make sure you have a good battery.

Bring your battery indoors in really cold weather.

Get a jump if necessary.

Block heaters if necessary.

All these things are relatively easy ways to make sure your ICE vehicle functions in extreme cold.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:19 AM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's ok, a certain poster may soon arrive to post aggressively for the next 4 days straight about the joys and wonders of EVs.
That poster is too busy being “fly off the handle” angry and heavy-handed toward folks who spread EV “disinformation” in another sub-forum.

The pro-EV “I like my EV and because I like my EV, everyone else should be FORCED to buy one” crowd doesn’t care about any inconvenience related to cold weather. They’ll give you a number of reasons why diminished range in cold weather is nothing to worry about and if they can’t convince you why diminished range is a somehow a good thing, they’ll tell you that you shouldn’t really be on the road in bad weather anyway, so your EV is ‘saving’ you from the risk of having an accident.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:24 AM

45,224 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
OAK BROOK, Ill. - Electric vehicles may be the way of the future, but many EV owners are having trouble dealing with Chicago’s bitterly cold temperatures.

Public charging stations have turned into car graveyards over the past couple of days
https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/dead-teslas-oak-brook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.