Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 06:36 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

this goes back to what forbes calls the biggest obstacle to growing wealth.

NOT SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY

people tend to be very closed minded in what they think .

so they tend to parrot, hi five and only read or use articles that support their view. .

by never really going in to the enemy camp and learning their view they can end up just parroting other misinformed people .

it’s only when you can equally argue both sides with equal authority and belief that you have a well enough understanding to make a decision

so the end result is people go phishing for sources no matter how poor they are at credibility to try to somehow reinforce what they believe

Old 02-19-2024, 06:48 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this goes back to what forbes calls the biggest obstacle to growing wealth.

NOT SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY

people tend to be very closed minded in what they think .

so they tend to parrot, hi five and only read or use articles that support their view. .

by never really going in to the enemy camp and learning their view they can end up just parroting other misinformed people .

it’s only when you can equally argue both sides with equal authority and belief that you have a well enough understanding to make a decision

so the end result is people go phishing for sources no matter how poor they are at credibility to try to somehow reinforce what they believe
I have followed zerohedge for a long time on Twitter, I'm not "phishing" for anything. I thought it was in interesting article, nothing more, nothing less. And I'm certainly not making a prediction and if the market does tank, I'm not coming back and saying "I told you so". But I think it is important to post alternate viewpoints other than, rah rah rah, the bull market will continue forever.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I have followed zerohedge for a long time on Twitter, I'm not "phishing" for anything. I thought it was in interesting article, nothing more, nothing less. And I'm certainly not making a prediction and if the market does tank, I'm not coming back and saying "I told you so". But I think it is important to post alternate viewpoints other than, rah rah rah, the bull market will continue forever.
no one here says the bull market will continue forever .

a bear market is and has always been part of the deal .

but what most here do say is trying to time your way in and out to avoid them ends up setting you behind simply doing nothing and just finding a comfortable allocation and stick with it

Old 02-19-2024, 07:07 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
I'd like to see one instance where anyone on this board claimed the markets will "go up forever". As has been stated ad nauseam, markets will appreciate and depreciate over time; however, over the long-term equity markets have gone up (8-11% depending on what indices you're following). Those who stay the course and don't get spooked by periodic downturns, political ramblings or shock-jock type clickbait articles who try and time markets will lose out over the long haul had they just stayed put and continued to dollar cost average.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
I have followed zerohedge for a long time ..... I thought it was in interesting article, ... I think it is important to post alternate viewpoints other than, rah rah rah, the bull market will continue forever.
Always Consider the source and their motivation/ message / benefit. And validate their data / credibility.

There is big business in deceit. (Especially finances and politics)

Retired neighbors are living in poverty, still waiting for the rebound of the Iraqi Dinar. (An interesting 'article' caught their investment interests over 20 yrs ago).

There were well educated, well read, professionals, doing quite well. Good thing they are getting pensions and have 'Tricare-for- life'. Each day they have been waiting for their ship to come in, as their investments have been spent on a failing Dinar.

1 Iraqi Dinar equals
0.00076 United States Dollar

Quite painful to watch, and they're very convinced, and still telling my spouse to invest similarly.

Not on my watch!

Old 02-19-2024, 07:10 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
Must be snowing in Pennsylvania again...

Old 02-19-2024, 07:12 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Always Consider the source and their motivation/ message / benefit. And validate their data / credibility.

There is big business in deceit. (Especially finances and politics)

Retired neighbors are living in poverty, still waiting for the rebound of the Iraqi Dinar. (An interesting 'article' caught their investment interests over 20 yrs ago).

There were well educated, well read, professionals, doing quite well. Good thing they are getting pensions and have 'Tricare-for- life'. Each day they have been waiting for their ship to come in, as their investments have been spent on a failing Dinar.

1 Iraqi Dinar equals
0.00076 United States Dollar

Quite painful to watch, and they're very convinced, and still telling my spouse to invest similarly.

Not on my watch!
Reminds me of these doomsday preppers who spend their lifetimes (and incomes) prepping for the end of civilization and, shockingly, that never happens. Makes one wonder if the last thought in their head before dying is "Man what a horrible waste of my life", same premise here.......you can certainly hedge your bets with some international or fixed income holdings but to adjust an entire portfolio for some doomsday scenario that likely will never happen is a recipe for the poorhouse.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:16 AM

some just don’t mind the fact that they worked hard all their life for their money , yet when it’s time for their money to work for them , they give it a low wage job

Old 02-19-2024, 07:26 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some just don’t mind the fact that they worked hard all their life for their money , yet when it’s time for their money to work for them , they give it a low wage job
I'm chugging along, making money, just not 15% a year, but when the market corrects, I'll buy low.
At least that's the plan.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I'm chugging along, making money, just not 15% a year, but when the market corrects, I'll buy low.
At least that's the plan.
no you won’t .

when markets are plunging and it looks like there is no bottom you won’t buy in because the news is to bad . are you trying to tell us you will buy in a plunging market when you wouldn’t do it in the past

you will dip your toes with tiny trades and just like now ,markets will zoom right past you while you think it’s a suckers rally .

getting out is easy , investors blow it over and over getting in. you will be no different.

you wouldn’t buy in the lows we had , what makes you think you will next time.

what if you buy in thinking the lows are in and it looks like we may fall another 4-5000 points.

you will bail out and miss it again.

i doubt you will commit back what you pulled out even if we fall just because you have no history of doing it.

plus if you did buy in and we fell more you wouldn’t have the cushion you should have developed over all the years you played the same game getting in and out so your balance would be even lower…..

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-19-2024 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies