Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 10:46 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Using your own posted definition of entitlement, and reading the SSA's "Fleming v Nestor page, SS is NOT an entitlement, as none of us are owed or entitled to anything, if Congress decides we are not.

It is exactly a welfare program. It takes a specific tax from current taxpayers, and transfers that money directly to others who meet eligibility criteria. Congress can get rid of all of it anytime they want, for any reason, and you are entitled to exactly NOTHING.

I link the SSA's page because why take it from me when the government tells you exactly what you are NOT entitled to.
In Fleming v Nestor case his SS benefits were denied aka he was no longer entitled to them, because he was deported for being a commie.

So, we are entitled to the benefits unless Congress terminates the The Social Security Act of 1935.

Likewise, surviving spouses are entitled to their spouses benefits.

"Weinberger v. Wiesenfeld (1975) held that a male widower should be entitled to his deceased wife's benefit just as a female widow was entitled to a deceased husband's, under the equal protection and due process clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment. "

My point here is to show people say its not an entitlement program simply because they don't like the word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
It's a scam. My wife paid in for 40yrs.
She died, I received 250 bucks to bury her. I won't receive any of her money because I receive a pension.
Maybe you should look into it.

Survivors Benefits
Widow or widower, at full retirement age or older, generally gets 100% of the worker's basic benefit amount. Widow or widower, age 60 or older, but under full retirement age, gets between 71% and 99% of the worker's basic benefit amount.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10084.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 10:48 AM

506 posts, read 261,104 times
You can argue the definition and application of the word "entitlement" however you like, it won't change whatever it is.

I like it, though I don't need it ( I have a pension, IRA distributions, and interest income ).

My only two complaints are ( 1 ) the cap, really should not be one, and ( 2 ) the pyramidal basis. It needs to be placed on a more sensible footing.

So what is it? Among other things it is an income redistribution scheme and some sort of "insurance" ... You can look at it selfishly, how it impacts you alone, or you can look at the bigger picture, and how it impacts everyone else. Is it fair to everyone, no. But is it unreasonable ?

Old 01-17-2024, 10:49 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In Fleming v Nestor case his SS benefits were denied aka he was no longer entitled to them, because he was deported for being a commie.

So, we are entitled to the benefits unless Congress terminates the The Social Security Act of 1935.

Likewise, surviving spouses are entitled to their spouses benefits.

"Weinberger v. Wiesenfeld (1975) held that a male widower should be entitled to his deceased wife's benefit just as a female widow was entitled to a deceased husband's, under the equal protection and due process clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment. "

My point here is to show people say its not an entitlement program simply because they don't like the word,
The issue is that some entities lump SS/Medicare with all the welfare programs and call all of them "entitlement programs".

And they aren't all the same at all.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:53 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalconsequence View Post
DEMOCRAT candidates must be talking about cutting Social Security...the OP never mentioned any Republicans.

I know Trump has stated 10,000 times he likes SS just the way it is, and doesn't plan on making any changes.
Nikki Haley says the age should be raised for those people who are in their 20s tpoday, and younger generations. Its a way to save the program. Of course Trump, being a populist, would never suggest anything which might be unpopular, but we need fiscal responsibility if we want to be able to collect SS, let alone the younger generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The issue is that some entities lump SS/Medicare with all the welfare programs and call all of them "entitlement programs".

And they aren't all the same at all.
No, they are not "same", but SS is an example of an entitlement program. I know people don't like the words "entitlement program", because its can be associated to hand-outs, but SS is not a hand-out, - calling it a hand-out would be a mischaracterization.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:53 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresarose View Post
Candidates are now stating that Social Security is an entitlement. Want to introduce a means test -- how could that be fairly implemented?
Brand new poster types a sentence without links, context or facts and this thread is off and running.

Nicely done OP, mission accomplished.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:04 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Boomers are the first generation to have paid into SS their entire lives.
And as such, boomers will also be the first generation to have paid in more than they will get back in their lifetime.
And likely reducing for each succeeding generation with solvency problems forcing higher retirement ages and cuts.

Retirement generally looking to be much worse for every generation after boomers with pensions going extinct.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:08 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,363,837 times
Social Security started in 1935 when it was presumed that most working people would contribute while the previous generation that retired would get what they paid in. In theory it was a good idea except that 90 years later the balance has shifted to having more going out than coming in, for a variety of reasons.

The other problem is that the Government has borrowed $1.7 trillion From The Social Security Trust Fund to pay for other government spending. If it wasn't for the government using SS as a slush fund it probably wouldn't be in the shape it's in now.

There is a whole long list of how illegals can get Supplemental Security Income, including being admitted as a refugee and granted asylum, which no doubt is being taken advantage of and attracting these migrants like flies.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:09 AM

107 posts, read 51,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresarose View Post
Candidates are now stating that Social Security is an entitlement.
They are correct. People who paid for Social Security are entitled to it.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:26 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
And likely reducing for each succeeding generation with solvency problems forcing higher retirement ages and cuts.
When SS first started it was for workers and spouses.

Look at who qualifies today for SS benefits...it got greatly expanded beyond what FICA can handle.
Over 3 million children are receiving SS benefits every month.
Only 74% of people on SS are actually retired workers that paid FICA taxes.

When the SS program expanded they should have upped the FICA to cover the additional expenses.
But they didn't.

And people wonder why SS isn't sustainable.......

67 million people received SS each month.
49 million are retired workers who paid FICA

https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/facts...icfact-alt.pdf

Old 01-17-2024, 11:41 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Root problem was the presumption that we would keep reproducing like prior generations to keep the pyramid scheme going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies