Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 01:51 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Did you just ASSume that we would assume it was because of poverty?

I'm a 50 year old guy, and I used to eat out all the time because I'm just lazy. The COVID shutdowns really changed that for me. I still eat out, but not nearly as much as I used to. I don't know if it's actually saved me any money though.
I have had several people make comments regarding my lifestyle and ASSume it was a byproduct of poverty. I figured I would save people like that the time in responding. Apparently, I need to add another disclaimer.....

Old 01-17-2024, 01:53 PM

6,107 posts, read 2,731,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Inflation happens, but is there a specific reason why fast food prices went up a few weeks ago??

My local McD's increased prices here in SoCal. Is it the whole nation - and is it all the fast food chains?

California passed some kind of law about fast food workers - I don't know if that would explain the whole thing.

I gave up on fast food. Besides the price, it's all greasy anyway.
My guess since it’s cali they raised the prices due to the $20 an hour wage that went in to affect. Download the app you can find good deals on there.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Why just McDonald's? Why does anyone go to any restaurant for that matter?

The thing is, not everyone is hurting for money. Some people go to McDonald's for convenience, nostalgia or any reason, really.

When they properly make the "made to order" QPC, I will probably go back occasionally if time and location present itself. I won't go out of my way for fast food, but I have no problem eating it on an occasional basis.
Yes, plenty of people can afford to eat out and still do. We went to our local café for dinner Sunday, a comfort food type place with a bar, and 3 of us was $68 plus tip. We had to wait about 5 minutes for a table and that was at 4:30pm.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:56 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Why just McDonald's? Why does anyone go to any restaurant for that matter?

The thing is, not everyone is hurting for money. Some people go to McDonald's for convenience, nostalgia or any reason, really.

When they properly make the "made to order" QPC, I will probably go back occasionally if time and location present itself. I won't go out of my way for fast food, but I have no problem eating it on an occasional basis.
Based on the claims here, you can have a real meal at Applebee's for far less than at Wendy's so its a good question to ask why anyone would still go to Wendy's, or any other drive-thru restaurants.

The truth is that those places have done enough damage to the health of the citizens, that the sooner they take themselves out of the equation by overpricing, the better off we are.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:57 PM

17,662 posts, read 6,928,439 times
Why? Biden and the Democrats. Fast food, and everything else, was inexpensive when Trump was President.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:59 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Like everything in this world, you pay through the nose for greater convenience.

Plain black coffee (20 oz) at Starbucks costs ~$2.75 per. My 1 lb bag of Starbucks costs $7 at the grocery store, and it makes twenty cups of coffee in my 20 oz mug, which brings my coffee cost to $0.35 per mug.

Online, the average nationwide price for just the Egg McMuffin sandwich is $4.12

Egg McMuffin parts at Kroger:
  • 12 eggs = $2
  • 12 english muffins = $3.78
  • 16 count Kraft american cheese slices = $3.99
  • 10 slices canadian bacon = $2.79
Just that purchase makes 10x Egg McMuffins for $1.26 each. Figure it with better round numbers, using 60x to make the above package quantities line up better, and the cost is actually $1.02 per Egg McMuffin, made at home.

So, cost for 2 Egg McMuffins + a Starbucks Venti black coffee, if someone else makes it, would be ~$10.99 (national average), or it can cost as low as $2.39...just make it at home. Convenience adds >350% upcharge. Add more convenience, like DoorDash or UberEats, and just crank that upcharge even higher.

Why would anyone go to McDonalds in 2023?
Yeah, last time I remember going to McD's it was 2 McMuffins for $4. I can't/couldn't do the coffee at McD's. I'll do gas station coffee but McD's has some of the nastiest coffee I've ever tasted whereas your typical gas station swill is dark roast and much more forgiving. In general coffee is just more of an inconvenience. If you're already on the road and didn't bring your thermos, you stop for coffee. If you want to sit around and chew the fat with a friend at a coffee shop, you stop for coffee. If you want convenience though you just get a coffee maker and make your Joe at home. It is way more convenient than stopping for coffee. Get yourself a 32-40 oz thermos and for most people that'll keep you good on coffee for the day on the road. It's way more convenient than stopping at Starbucks or Chevron for your cuppa.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:03 PM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, last time I remember going to McD's it was 2 McMuffins for $4. I can't/couldn't do the coffee at McD's. I'll do gas station coffee but McD's has some of the nastiest coffee I've ever tasted whereas your typical gas station swill is dark roast and much more forgiving. In general coffee is just more of an inconvenience. If you're already on the road and didn't bring your thermos, you stop for coffee. If you want to sit around and chew the fat with a friend at a coffee shop, you stop for coffee. If you want convenience though you just get a coffee maker and make your Joe at home. It is way more convenient than stopping for coffee. Get yourself a 32-40 oz thermos and for most people that'll keep you good on coffee for the day on the road. It's way more convenient than stopping at Starbucks or Chevron for your cuppa.
I have a rewards card through my local gas station, and their coffee (any roast and size) is $0.99. So I get the 24 oz xlarge jet fuel roast for 99 cents....but only for road trips and being lazy. I'll go to a dollar for someone else to make the coffee, but not much past that.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
The verdict is in

Average price of a Big Mac over the years

Chart. Annually, 2000 to 2022 (as of January 2022); In March 2022 dollars

Attachment 247906
Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-18-2024 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-17-2024, 02:33 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,221,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Based on the claims here, you can have a real meal at Applebee's for far less than at Wendy's so its a good question to ask why anyone would still go to Wendy's, or any other drive-thru restaurants.

The truth is that those places have done enough damage to the health of the citizens, that the sooner they take themselves out of the equation by overpricing, the better off we are.
It's the Politics and Other Controversies forum - there's claims everywhere here!

But you answered your own question about why would anyone go to "any other drive thru.." as opposed to Applebee's. You can't "drive thru" Applebee's. And I'd imagine the dine-in time at Applebee's is significantly longer as well. Then there's the tip for service.

It's the same reason milk costs x at the grocery store and 1.5x at the convenience store, you're paying for the convenience.

Not sticking up for fast food here, just saying everything has its place. And price.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:37 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Inflation happens, but is there a specific reason why fast food prices went up a few weeks ago??

My local McD's increased prices here in SoCal. Is it the whole nation - and is it all the fast food chains?

California passed some kind of law about fast food workers - I don't know if that would explain the whole thing.

I gave up on fast food. Besides the price, it's all greasy anyway.
Those flippers make good money these days. That's why YOU pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies