Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2024, 10:56 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,596,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We currently have insurance company death panels. Every year, my cancer doctors have to spend hours arguing with the folks at EvilCore(actually Evicore) over whether I really need an MRI or not. I called EvilCore myself and asked them when they think an MRI is indicated, and they said "when you have symptoms of a recurrence". If I have symptoms, I will lose a large portion of my face, my salivary glands, and other pieces I would rather keep, and would keep if I have an MRI that catches the recurrence early. These are the same people that said I didn't need proton therapy for radiation when conventional would work fine. Of course they are not the people who would go blind in the future and have cognitive issues from radiation damage to the brain.

Don't talk to me about government death panels when the insurance companies already have them.
Sorry to hear about all your health issues. I know that sucks.

Get well.

Old 01-19-2024, 05:54 AM

59,214 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbee View Post
Unfortunately, the Republicans would NEVER allow it. A lot of their donations come from the rich who do not need to rely on UHC and the insurance companies. They would rather remove any form of subsidized HC and give the insurance companies a free for all. As long as they can retain THEIR healthcare in Congress and the Senate.
And the republicans actually told you all of this.

Right!

Old 01-19-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I have a co-worker who lives in Belgium. Not only does she pay 40% in taxes, she has to buy a separate health care plan to supplement her government healthcare. Seems pretty expensive to me.

But I digress, I support having some type of healthcare.
"I support having some type of healthcare"

The Veterans Administration is very small compared to the entire population and the government run VA does a TERRIBLE job.

So what makes you tink they can handle the entire country?

Old 01-19-2024, 05:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Sanders even admitted M4A would cost at least 5t annually.....

single payer would cost at least 7t annually

we only have about 80m tax payers....

so 5t / 80m = 62,500..............62.5k per taxpayer...... can you afford that, I certainly can not

and 7t / 80m = 87,500.......87.5k per taxpyer.....can you afford that, I certainly can not........ and thats YEARLY
According to your logic the current system already costs about $62.5K per person, because we spend about $5T already. That means M4A would not be any more expensive.

However, I'd like to see a comprehensive study on the matter as opposed to running with the opinon of one person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
How did you come up with the BS numbers above? Do you understand that everywhere the cost of HC per capita is much less? Do you understand that the cost of HC in freaking Switzerland is much less than here?
Sure looks like severly biased "math".

Old 01-19-2024, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What has the GOP done to "fix" the Affordable Care Act?
Some things CAN'T be fixed.

The dems control the White House and the Senate.

They created the Affordable Care Act. What have thy done "to "fix" the Affordable Care Act?

As usual dems create problems and NEVER fix them!

Old 01-19-2024, 06:04 AM

43,189 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Are you in favor of really sick people not being able to get health insurance?

We need to stop talking about health "insurance" and start calling it what it is, health care funding. And that only works if everyone pays into the system, probably as some percentage of income.
No it doesn't because the government only owns the insurance.
We have not nationalized the system so government cannot control the costs.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Obamacare was about "shoring up" health insurance companies, at a time where people were losing their work connected coverage.

The reason we don't have universal healthcare? My guess is lobbying and slipping money into the pockets of our politicians.

This should help you understand:

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-...summary?id=F09

There is always blame where it doesn't seem to belong, as these big companies, not political parties themselves are controlling things, well, either that or the criminal element (want illegal drugs pouring in, human trafficking, prostitution to remain illegal - all those things they make money off).

That website I link is a great source to see who is contributing money to politicians, etc., and can be very eye opening!
"at a time where people were losing their work connected coverage."

Funny, I know of NO ONE who had this happen to them.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I started working in healthcare before Obamacare and it was a crap show for most people. Constant denials of services from insurance, coverage that magically covered 1 preventative measure but not another and constant arguing with insurance providers.

After Obamacare:

It IS still a crap show for most people. Fewer denials of service from insurance but now we get to argue with layers of insurance personnel, the coverage that magically covered 1 preventative measure but not another is better but still is confusing to figure out because so many insurance policies are out there, and constantly arguing with insurance providers continues.

Insurance companies and Hospital systems own more of the healthcare systems now than ever before. SO many care decisions are filtered through what insurance wants and not what the physician orders or feels is best for the patient. The same "Death Panels" people scream about concerning government-run healthcare ALREADY exist, they are called insurance providers, they cut the funds and the healthcare facility pulls the plugs unless a lawsuit presents it.

When you look at all the complaints from Nurses, Physicians, Case Managers, and Public Health personnel on the ground about how Healthcare is delivered I have a hard time understanding why people think our current system functions well and is cost-effective. Neither is true so perhaps we should look at alternatives to what we are doing now.
"I started working in healthcare before Obamacare and it was a crap show for most people"

Oh, B.S.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:08 AM

89,090 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
How did you come up with the BS numbers above? Do you understand that everywhere the cost of HC per capita is much less? Do you understand that the cost of HC in freaking Switzerland is much less than here?
The Swiss are not as morbidly obese (with all its consequent health issues) as Americans. You can start there.

Switzerland obesity rate:

18.5% of adult (aged 18 years and over) women
24.9% of adult men

US obesity rate:

41.9% of adult women
43% of adult men

Old 01-19-2024, 06:38 AM

32,818 posts, read 19,511,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbee View Post
The problem with insurance companies being in charge, is they ONLY care about their bottom line PERIOD.
the problem with the governments being in charge, is they do not care about anyone, period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies