Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 10:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
And yes, many people go to the ER when they have the flu. That's not what the ER is for.
Ask yourself why in current system in US people go to ER when they have a cold, but it doesn't happen in other countries. Maybe a different kind of system would lessen this issue.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ask yourself why in current system in US people go to ER when they have a cold, but it doesn't happen in other countries. Maybe a different kind of system would lessen this issue.
or maybe a different mind set here in the US... where everyone thinks they are entitled to everything, for nothing

Old 01-19-2024, 11:17 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
That's what Obamacare was supposed to do. The reasoning was that expanding Medicaid and giving more people health "insurance" would decrease the use of the ER for trivial health issues (cough, sniffles, etc.).

Well, the exact OPPOSITE happened. More people were covered under Obamacare's Medicaid expansion and the use of ERs for basic health care skyrocketed.

Contrary to goals, ER visits rise under Obamacare

Old 01-19-2024, 11:21 AM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Saudi Arabia's health care systems is the best in the world, they pay for everything

Old 01-19-2024, 11:25 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
In both systems you pay for what you get, and get what they pay for.
I mentioned the other day I spent 30 years on Japan's national health care system which is considered by many as pretty good. One reason it works is because everyone contributes even those working part-time. If you work full-time your employer pays half of your monthly premium. I worked p/t at various schools and had to cover the cost myself. I paid $400-500 a month depending on my yearly income. The max monthly premium payment I believe was just under $800. The cost is affordable for most families and one card covers the spouse and kids.

Now, in my experience the quality of care esp. in neighborhood clinics was hit and miss. The clinics fill up the moment the doors open and stay busy until they close. When your name is called you see the doctor who spends a few minutes with you and then sends you on your way.

The last time I went I got upset. I explained to the doctor my ear felt clogged, but he didn’t look inside. He just gave me antibiotics. I ended up going to the Tokyo Medical Center which is a private hospital and doesn’t accept national health insurance. The doctor here discovered I had an ear infection and prescribed ear drops which solved the problem. However, I had to cover the cost myself which was $400. In fact, my last ten years in Japan I almost always went to the Tokyo Medical Center if I had something which wouldn’t go away.

My experience with national health care is it's a tradeoff. The quality (imo) isn't as good as in the States but everyone is covered. If I had been injured and ended up in a hospital bed my medical costs would be minimal. But I don’t see it working here because too many people won't contribute and without everyone kicking in something each month there is no way to keep premiums affordable.

I looked into the ACA when I returned to the States in 2019 but the deductible was something like 6k. I can't recall the monthly premium, but it was in the $300 range. I planned to see a gastrologist upon my return but none of the doctors I called accepted ACA.

In any case I’ve been on Medicare for the past year and very happy with it.

Last edited by john3232; 01-19-2024 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-19-2024, 11:56 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I know for a fact, that medicare will only cover the antiquated fusion in the back, they WILL NOT cover the artificial disc.... which has been done in europe for nearly 40 years
Medicare's reasoning for not covering artificial disks is here https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverag...ed=N&NCAId=170

That decision is no different than private insurance not covering the artificial disk. Aetna did not start covering them until February of 2023, and only for patients between 18 and 60. https://www.beckersspine.com/spine/5...nt-policy.html

Old 01-19-2024, 11:58 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So, How Come US Still Doesn't Have Universal Health Care?

Because there are still a lot of people in this country who believe in paying for what they get, and getting what they pay for... and deciding for themselves what they need.

So-called "Universal Health Care" offers none of those things.
There is no real difference between private insurance and universal health care.

Old 01-19-2024, 12:19 PM

18,722 posts, read 7,601,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There is no real difference between private insurance and universal health care.
Sure. That's why the people pushing Universal Health Care are trying so hard to eliminate private insurance and make UHC mandatory by law.

Right?

Old 01-19-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
or maybe a different mind set here in the US...
How do you plain on doing that?

Quote:
where everyone thinks they are entitled to everything, for nothing
What does that have to do with anything? People who pay for insurance go to ER. ER is not only for the uninsured.

People don't think they are entitled to everything (do you?), but if they get sick, they might feel they should at least try to survive a curable disease. So they seek medical help. Its a common sense to do. Should they just wait for death to come and collect them? Would you?

Old 01-19-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The obvious difference is funding. UHC forces everyone to pitch in, and yes, it includes the low income folks. The other difference is availability, where UCH, by definition, covers everyone.

With private insurance, only members pay (and their employers) and they are covered. The rest are covered by the taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies