Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2024, 01:22 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I got relatives who live in Canada and they say nothing but great things about the health care there. So I am not going to go by some obviously tainted magazine.
They may think their health care system is great, and that's fine- none of my business.

I don't have to deal with it or pay Canadian taxes.

One of the main problems I have with a proposed single-payer system in the US is the fact that my employer, a huge, greedy multinational corporation, already pays for my health insurance.

Why should I, of my own initiative, volunteer to take over that expense so as to benefit my huge, greedy multinational corporation employer.

I say **** them!

Old 01-22-2024, 06:19 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Democrats been controlling things and instead of giving the universal health care like Canada, Norway or Japan have, they have given us the BS Obamacare. This in turn has caused all the other insurance companies to sky rocket and they don't even cover dental. But we sure have no problems funding other country's wars which used to be a republican thing.
" So, How Come US Still Doesn't Have Universal Health Care?"

Because MOST of us don't want it!

"Canada, Norway or Japan have"

You are free to move to any of those you choose.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:26 AM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
A number of years ago I needed eye surgery. The doctor said how about next Thursday?

My snowbird neighbor from Canada said she went to her doctor in Canada and he told her "you need a cataract job. I will put you on the list, your turn will come up about in about a year."
That is one reason why US health care is more expensive - instant fix for issues that don't require an instant fix.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup, people don't understand that "free" healthcare means long wait times and low quality work.

I had a tooth filling fail and fall out a month ago, got an appointment in 2 days at a private dental clinic.

That same appointment would've been 2-4 months with free healthcare, meaning the tooth would've been rotted, infected, and required an expensive root canal or extraction by that time.

And if you want cosmetic work (veneers, rhinoplasty, etc), forget about it. The line for that would be multiple years if it was "free."
Insurance in the US doesn't cover veneers or cosmetic procedures not related to an actual medical issue.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
They may think their health care system is great, and that's fine- none of my business.

I don't have to deal with it or pay Canadian taxes.

One of the main problems I have with a proposed single-payer system in the US is the fact that my employer, a huge, greedy multinational corporation, already pays for my health insurance.

Why should I, of my own initiative, volunteer to take over that expense so as to benefit my huge, greedy multinational corporation employer.

I say **** them!
Why should your employer be responsible for your health care? Why should your employer be responsible for your health care after you retire? What if you want to change jobs, but the new employer doesn't provide health care?

In a single payer UHC world, your employer would pay a percentage of payroll to the health care single payer entity, and that would be it. No more having to choose plans for employees, no more worrying about what the actual cost will be, no more providing all of that to retired employees.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:46 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Why should your employer be responsible for your health care? Why should your employer be responsible for your health care after you retire? What if you want to change jobs, but the new employer doesn't provide health care?

In a single payer UHC world, your employer would pay a percentage of payroll to the health care single payer entity, and that would be it. No more having to choose plans for employees, no more worrying about what the actual cost will be, no more providing all of that to retired employees.
why is health care part of employment packages??? blame FDR, as with his new deal included wage freezes, so employers added things like (at that time) hospitalization to incentify hiring and keeping employees

Old 01-22-2024, 07:53 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Ukraine has cost 150B in less than 2 years. Annual defense budget is around 900B.
No, it costs 5% of the military budget.

Back to topic maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" So, How Come US Still Doesn't Have Universal Health Care?"

Because MOST of us don't want it!
Actually 57% of Americans want it, but its true that it would require strong public support.

Majority in U.S. Say Healthcare Is Government Responsibility
https://news.gallup.com/poll/468401/...20should%20not.
Gallup’s annual Health and Healthcare poll conducted Nov. 9-Dec. 2, 2022, show 57% think the government should be responsible to ensure coverage for all Americans, while 40% say it should not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup, people don't understand that "free" healthcare means long wait times and low quality work.

I had a tooth filling fail and fall out a month ago, got an appointment in 2 days at a private dental clinic.

That same appointment would've been 2-4 months with free healthcare, meaning the tooth would've been rotted, infected, and required an expensive root canal or extraction by that time.
Emergency care is always available in UHC, so your claim about 2-4 month wait for emergency care is made up. I make my dentist appointments 6 months in advance.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-22-2024 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-22-2024, 07:55 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the point is it takes multi-multi millions just to run a hospital.....it takes tons of money just to run a clinic... THEY HAVE TO MAKE MONEY TO SURVIVE.
Most hospitals are already non-profit...

Most hospitals survive just fine without making a profit

Old 01-22-2024, 07:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Most hospitals are already non-profit...

Most hospitals survive just fine without making a profit
exactly...most hospitals ARE non-profit.... yet you have the idiot liberals screaming that all health needs to be non-profit, and they site that hospitals CHARGE SO MUCH

liberals are the ones equating non-profit with free

Old 01-22-2024, 08:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
liberals are the ones equating non-profit with free
I've never heard anyone say that.

Most US hospitals are indeed non-profit, but it doesn't keep them from charging lot of money from the insurance companies. They have expenses, and any left over revenue is reinvested. Cleveland Clinic is a good example. Also, on average non-profits pay their doctors and nurses higher wages than a for-profit hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies