Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2024, 11:28 AM

89,089 posts, read 44,917,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, in many cases, this is true, but in SOME cases, the parents can only be blamed for being too trusting of teachers and other "experts". How many parents of the 90's did not know what was going on and did not suspect anything being amiss because they had grown up trusting teachers and doctors and governments with having the best interests of their children in their minds and in their hearts?

Maybe some parents knew, but I was clueless until my kids were in junior high (it was about 2006 that I found out exactly how much had changed in educational attitudes due to an incident with my daughter), and I was appalled at how ignorant I was and how trusting I had been. You will note that this was during the Bush II years, but it has only become worse, imo, with each succeeding administration. And, btw, at that time, I was mostly a SAHM, although I had a weekend job.

And anyone who follows P&OC regularly knows that I am very far from being a "liberal" and I certainly was not a liberal parent, either! The only thing I feel guilty about was trusting "the experts" more than my own instincts based on how I was raised by my Depression-era parents. (Believe me, they did not subscribe to any theories of "modern child-raising" at all, lol.)
I found out how vastly things had changed when my oldest began 2nd grade in the mid-1990s. My kid, who was already reading and writing at the 7th grade level, was being given weekly vocabulary words like cat, bat, sat, etc., because that's where the vast majority of the class was... very beginning readers. There was no attempt whatsoever to gauge my child's reading/writing skill level and adjust the curriculum accordingly. My child was just supposed to be placed on hold for 5 school years until everyone else (hopefully) caught up because allowing anyone to excel beyond the group level "wasn't fair."

As such, it's no surprise now that each subsequent American generation is dumber than the one before it. Schools dumb everyone down to the lowest common denominator. The goal is equal educational outcomes (no matter HOW bad that is) in the name of "fairness" to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 11:30 AM

8,259 posts, read 3,510,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Right...at some point one has to think, maybe each generation was right, they are calling out the slow decline of society.

Which one do you think had more class ?

https://youtu.be/R69_WOwTGS0?si=ib8Xijy1Z5oXjhII&t=74

https://youtu.be/UnBZLFB7kLo?si=sjchNwo9Tg1zaj08&t=168

I'm far from a prude but singing about WAP at an awards show is just classless.
Awards shows have definitely gotten trashy.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:34 AM

8,259 posts, read 3,510,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I found out how vastly things had changed when my oldest began 2nd grade in the mid-1990s. My kid, who was already reading and writing at the 7th grade level, was being given weekly vocabulary words like cat, bat, sat, etc., because that's where the vast majority of the class was... very beginning readers. There was no attempt whatsoever to gauge my child's reading/writing skill level and adjust the curriculum accordingly. My child was just supposed to be placed on hold for 5 school years until everyone else (hopefully) caught up because allowing anyone to excel beyond the group level "wasn't fair."

As such, it's no surprise now that each subsequent American generation is dumber than the one before it. Schools dumb everyone down to the lowest common denominator. The goal is equal educational outcomes (no matter HOW bad that is) in the name of "fairness" to all.
My daughter was like that too. When she started first grade, she was already reading at an eighth grade level. She ended up regressing and it was like she had forgotten how to read after being there for the year. She had trouble with things for years while she was in that school system.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:35 AM

29,550 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Awards shows have definitely gotten trashy.
Which is a sign of how the population is.

Like the old band DEVO used to think, we are de-evolving.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:40 AM

19,833 posts, read 9,402,929 times
Quote:

Your post reminded me of something I had forgotten, and that was being told when my son was in the second grade that kids who could not keep up with the rest of the class must agree to being held back, and even then, it was not done unless the kids were small for their age and if they had at least normal intelligence. So even 20+ years ago, second-graders were being taught that they could do what they liked and not suffer any consequences.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:42 AM

13,817 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Slow decline of society - regarding sports

I've always felt it started when some kids began to copy the trash talking seen in the NBA and showboating in the NFL.

I recall the late, great Wilt Chamberlain being asked about trash talking when he was playing in the NBA. Wilt said it would have been foolish because players and teams would have retaliated immediately. Trash talking was unacceptable and not tolerated.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:48 AM

89,089 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
My daughter was like that too. When she started first grade, she was already reading at an eighth grade level. She ended up regressing and it was like she had forgotten how to read after being there for the year. She had trouble with things for years while she was in that school system.
Given how badly US students compare to their international peers, I'd be willing to bet that the US is the absolute worst at academic talent development and that all the other OECD countries are running circles around our country's K-12 educational system. We have a tragically but intentionally (to create more "equality") dumbed-down populace.

Old 01-20-2024, 12:03 PM

13,817 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Quote:
Given how badly US students compare to their international peers, I'd be willing to bet that the US is the absolute worst at academic talent development and that all the other OECD countries are running circles around our country's K-12 educational system. We have a tragically but intentionally (to create more "equality") dumbed-down populace.
Five reasons American decline appears irreversible

Quote:
2. Low student achievement: If our nation is to dig itself out of that harrowing debt trap, it will need successive generations of superstar students, armed with skills and creativity. Someday, they will invent and harness technologies to manufacture state-of-the-art products and related services, fueling an economic boom that boosts the GDP.

Unfortunately, the “Nation’s Report Card” does not hint at such an optimistic future. The National Assessment of Educational Progress, a congressionally mandated Education Department program that has assessed students since 1969, finds that the only 29 percent of fourth graders and 20 percent of eighth graders are even proficient in math. Only 8 percent and 7 percent, respectively, are “advanced” at those levels.

Overall achievement had decreased in both reading and math compared to the already-disappointing numbers of 2019. So both before and after COVID, our education system appears to be losing the fight against national decline.
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...-irreversible/

Old 01-20-2024, 12:27 PM

18,148 posts, read 15,725,963 times
I watched this segment from Bill Maher (I know, I know....y'all dislike him) and thought he made excellent points.

Speaking of standards in society -- he makes the case for a return to sanity.

Sanity is a good place to start, to help raise societal standards.

(Note: Maher occasionally uses 'colorful' language in his segments.)

Old 01-20-2024, 12:38 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,837,261 times
Sanity... sure, lets start with the most obvious insane social failing... gender fluidity. Boys in girls bathrooms, boys in girls sports, boys pretending to be girls raping girls at school and school boards covering it up. Men in women's sports and adding insult to injury... feminism supporting/defending men pretending to be women. Then for good measure lets have trans men idiots (Rachel Levine) in the Biden administration and the other trans criminal Sam Briton shop lifting.

Dear Lord...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies