Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 PM

413 posts, read 782,729 times

Advertisements

There is also a similar controversy targeting a small group, no media outcry though.

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/v...10855?page=all

Quote:
What accounts for this remarkable record? A full answer must call on many characteristics of Jewish culture, but intelligence has to be at the center of the answer.
Ashkenazi intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So would you lynch scientists working on such controversial subjects? Would you fire Watson?

Yes or No?

Discuss!

Last edited by Frenchman; 06-03-2008 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
There is also a similar controversy targeting a small group, no media outcry though.

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/v...10855?page=all
Ashkenazi intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So would you lynch scientists working on such controversial subjects? Would you fire Watson?

Yes or No?

Discuss!
Hey Frenchman

This is a very touchy subject. The only conclusion that is acceptable without resulting in calls of racism is that there is parity. If Watson came out and said in his comments that there was parity, he would be facing another Nobel Prize.

In the end, what good is such a study?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:25 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
We are not geneticists like Watson, but we can argue about Political Correctness, which is source of public debate.

So when PC and science enter in conflict like religion and science, would you side with PC or science?

Who believes Watson must be censored and punished, or not, why, why not, etc?

Would you ban such scientist from your university? Would you stop funding Watson?

Please discuss.
PC or science? I'd side with the truth, and the truth is PC is a social value that is decidedly blind to some issues, and science can measure but it blind guesses explaining values of attributes. They can see a chalk outline and tend to fill in the blanks with guesstimates. Even academia can't measure all forms of intelligence- they fixate on a certain bandwith and ignore the rest as not valuable (because they find it irrelevant). Perfect environment for an idiot savant! lol

I read that whole article scouring the page looking for how on earth watson could have come to that conclusion- on what basis? Answer= there was no science involved. No wonder he resigned from the cold spring harbor lab. He let down science, really, for cheap applause? How sad.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I don't buy it. I know about the same stupid white people as I do blacks, and I know about as many deeply intelligent whites as I do blacks.

Sounds like someone positioning for a book deal. However, the nobel prize is just not going to happen. Sorry, James, crack pots don't get that award.

For the first time, we agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies