Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 01:16 PM

4,380 posts, read 1,694,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Then explain the multitudes of unaccompanied minors crossing the border during Obama’s two terms. Obama was so concerned for their safety, his BP set up procedures that put them in wire cages. None of these kids had parents? Why weren’t they deported?
I don’t know, but it would be helpful if you point out which ones had parents who were fighting to take their children back to their country of origin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 02:42 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Elian is educated as an engineer, involved in politics and is suggested to become the member of a National Assembly - a lawmaker!.

Sounds like he has a decent and purpose filled life in Cuba.

Apologies for the source

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/ameri...tam/index.html

Old 02-10-2024, 04:50 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
His father wanted him back. Sending him back was the right thing to do.
I lived in south Florida during that time.
I wholeheartedly agree. It was a custody matter. Elián was not an orphan. He had a father. Governments of any political leanings shouldn’t interfere in family matters.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:08 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Yes, I remember him. Custody fight between his father in Cuba and his American cousins/family in FL. Elian was ultimately sent back to his father in Cuba, and Elian's all grown up now.

/the end.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:22 PM

17,994 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
But his father did and his father wanted him back.
Back in the day we figured "Father" went and got a Slip-n-fall Lawyer and was going for the buck, not giving a flip about sonny boy.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:45 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
Do you want the dirty truth?, I'll tell you.

I grew up in south Miami and lived there at the time besides what you heard or saw regarding the political take on this, the truth is division among race showed it's ugly truth and people took sides based on it. I saw a protest one day during this on U.S HWY 1 in Cutler Ridge ( now called Cutler Bay). So I decided to walk it a bit and ask questions. There white and black people protesting together to send the kid back. Thing is they were waving American and Confederate flags.

Standing next to a white guy with a Confederate flag was a black guy, I asked him "why are you protesting in favor with Confederate flags waving around?" He replied "that is another issue for another day but today I am tired of these Cubans taking jobs away from black people". Of course the white people were protesting along the same racial lines.

On the other side Cubans were flying Cuban flags (and some American flags) to protest in favor of letting the kid stay. My company who's management were Cuban even closed the store for a day so people could protest which they never would have done for any other cause.

The kid was a pawn by everybody, when you interact everyday with people everybody gets along fine, but make no mistake hate festers in too many people and too many people take sides on race when certain things arise.

That is the ugly truth.

And now the border is in chaos with people coming over from all over the world who have nothing in common with each other and at any given time dislike each other.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:52 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Back in the day we figured "Father" went and got a Slip-n-fall Lawyer and was going for the buck, not giving a flip about sonny boy.
It went through the court system...all legal and above board..unlike today.

AG statement on the day they removed him from the home
https://www.justice.gov/archive/opa/...pril/225ag.htm

Old 02-10-2024, 06:15 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Sure do. But usually Cuban immigrants are against fascist dictators so they vote Republican. Cubans are not the kind of immigrants they want.
True, and that is why they want to send certain white asylum seekers back, while keeping a bunch of 3rd illegal aliens hoping they can make them voting citizens some day and have one party rule.
The also do not want the whites in South Africa for the same reason, despite their lives actually being in danger by the government.

Old 02-10-2024, 06:45 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Sure do. But usually Cuban immigrants are against fascist dictators so they vote Republican. Cubans are not the kind of immigrants they want.
The Biden Administration has a double standard against illegal Cuban immigrants for this very reason.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opinio...-cuba-2405159/

Old 02-10-2024, 07:21 PM

728 posts, read 464,297 times
Quote:
His father wanted him back. Sending him back was the right thing to do.
I lived in south Florida during that time.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies