Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 10:26 AM

6,275 posts, read 3,431,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
This is how Democrats treated Cuban immigrants during the Clinton Administration, and these were folks who actually had legitimate asylum claims. Can someone please explain the difference in policy today (other than blatant hypocrisy)?
Elian Gonzalez was a child at the time and his case had nothing to do with "asylum" it was a custody dispute. His family in Miami wanted to make it about asylum but the courts ruled against them...end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 10:33 AM

6,275 posts, read 3,431,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Apparently that was not true in Elian's case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Yes it was.
I watched a documentary on Elian Gonzalez a while back and the boy seemed to doing okay. He was playing sports and looked happy enough.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:58 AM

18,061 posts, read 27,513,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Do you want the dirty truth?, I'll tell you.

I grew up in south Miami and lived there at the time besides what you heard or saw regarding the political take on this, the truth is division among race showed it's ugly truth and people took sides based on it. I saw a protest one day during this on U.S HWY 1 in Cutler Ridge ( now called Cutler Bay). So I decided to walk it a bit and ask questions. There white and black people protesting together to send the kid back. Thing is they were waving American and Confederate flags.

Standing next to a white guy with a Confederate flag was a black guy, I asked him "why are you protesting in favor with Confederate flags waving around?" He replied "that is another issue for another day but today I am tired of these Cubans taking jobs away from black people". Of course the white people were protesting along the same racial lines.

On the other side Cubans were flying Cuban flags (and some American flags) to protest in favor of letting the kid stay. My company who's management were Cuban even closed the store for a day so people could protest which they never would have done for any other cause.

The kid was a pawn by everybody, when you interact everyday with people everybody gets along fine, but make no mistake hate festers in too many people and too many people take sides on race when certain things arise.

That is the ugly truth.

And now the border is in chaos with people coming over from all over the world who have nothing in common with each other and at any given time dislike each other.
Rubbish.

I had two brothers and have numerous other family living throughout Florida and we know some history that reads differently than your snapshot perspective.

Cubans that we know are Proud American Citizens and they came over here and got it done the right way. Americans I know, regardless of flags waved, race, creed, color, etc. believe in becoming United States of Americans doing it the right way, having done it the right way, and having planned to do it the right way.

Having some poor young child getting a shot at the American Dream didn't bounce the Richter Scale too high in my neck of the woods nor in the neck of my Floridian friends and family neither.

Did you know Cuban Americans are opposed to Illegal Immigration? I do, did and always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies