Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 02:53 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,186,086 times

Advertisements

How can I support Trump.....simple, he is far more likely NOT to get us involved in another useless war!

Old 02-12-2024, 03:05 PM

137 posts, read 65,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Just because you served, doesn't make you teflon from criticism.

More recently, the left relentlessly mocked Capt. Brett Crozier, the former commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt who was relieved of duty after raising the alarm about a Covid-19 outbreak on his ship in March. His crew loved him and said he saved many lives.

During McCain's POW time, he would also accuse two of his fellow POWs of being “collaborators” who were “actively aiding the enemy,” because of antiwar statements one of them had made while a POW, a charge that dogged the men for the rest of their lives. McCain had no evidence to support his claims.

Before he was shot down, he complained about the rules of engagement were too restrictive, not allowing McCain to kill more "gooks", his words.

Here is an interesting story by a Vietnam refugee, who was also a constituent of McCain.

https://www.unmargin.org/john-mccain-was-never-my-hero
The last bit is disturbing but not surprising. The way McStain talked about bombing Iran and innocent civilians was shocking, but people clapped this evil moron on.

He was always a war hawk who told tall tales to boost his ego and public standing. I voted Democrat and for Obama against McStain, he was a known charlatan before everyone brainwashed themselves and supported any anti-Trump individual. He was in cahoots with so many rebel groups in the Middle East and Eastern Europe, how people take him seriously is baffling.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:04 PM

14,011 posts, read 5,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
But also when you serve in the military people expect you to be a Joe Patriot, which as you've seen from my posts on here I am far from it. I still don't regret my service, and most of it was from when this country was a complete different place.
Yeah, when I was submarining, we weren't nearly the "heroes" every swinging d**k in the entire military is these days.

Anyone with military experience prior to 9-11 and also with any time on the pond or @ss in the grass knows exactly what I am saying.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:31 PM

14,238 posts, read 4,615,622 times
I earned a Purple Heart from serving in Iraq. Does that mean I am exempt from criticism if I get involved with political debates here on POC?

Yes, McCain was a war hero. But that does not give him immunity from criticism and **** talk if he decided to get involved with politics as a politician whose decisions are consequential to our lives

Old 02-13-2024, 04:28 AM

11,877 posts, read 5,851,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yeah, when I was submarining, we weren't nearly the "heroes" every swinging d**k in the entire military is these days.

Anyone with military experience prior to 9-11 and also with any time on the pond or @ss in the grass knows exactly what I am saying.
The thank you for your service didn't become a thing until the late 90's especially after 9/11. It's sad because we have so much to thank those who serve for - even in times of peace.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:55 AM

59,291 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
People always find reasons, excuses, and "well whatabout so&so and what they did," to justify support.
"People always find reasons, excuses, and"
With biden it doesn't take much effort.

It is all over the place.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:59 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,323,794 times
Only read the first page or so, but I don't think this thread went the way the OP though it would.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:00 AM

24,560 posts, read 17,308,779 times
Trump is a people person and he understands what it means to send our troops into danger and he avoided it when he was President.

Biden doesn't care and sees our military personal as disposable tools. Would we really be surprised to see in Biden's second term that he sends our troops to Ukraine and back in to the Middle East? How about Taiwan if China decides to move on it?

Biden would send them now because a new war would be a great distraction to his dementia.

Old 02-13-2024, 02:20 PM

14,011 posts, read 5,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
The thank you for your service didn't become a thing until the late 90's especially after 9/11. It's sad because we have so much to thank those who serve for - even in times of peace.
At no point before 9-11 did I ever get thanked for my service, not even by my family. They'd maybe say they were proud or something, but generally, all the thanks for serving didn't happen until a good bit after 9-11.

Plus, back when I was in, you actually had to do something while in the military for anyone to give you a nod. Working a desk in Podunk, North Dakota - but doing it in a uniform - was not sufficient cause to be labeled hero. You actually had to go do some hero level stuff. These days...you become heroic before the bus drops you off at boot camp. We've totally cheapened the concept of heroism.

Had a great chat with the XO of a SEAL team once, and we both settled on "yeah, it's a job" for describing our own rates/billets. I found during my decade of serving that how puffed up someone got about their own service was usually directly opposite of how close to anything remotely dangerous they ever got. You talk to guys on a SEAL team and they were like "yeah, beats working at McDonalds", but talk to some E2 pencil pusher who couldn't tell you where the Pond was much less having ever been on a ship, and they'd wear you out with their Audie Murphy patriotism and dig-it hoorahs.

Final thought to those who think you can never question anyone's service - if you had encountered the sheer volume of dumbassery that anyone in the military deals with on a routine, daily basis...you'd back off that whole "never question anyone's service" nonsense. A whole lot of the military is as effed as a soup sandwich on their best day, and if you knew them, you would be nervous to let them walk your dog, much less refer to them as heroic.

Old 02-13-2024, 02:30 PM

17,737 posts, read 6,977,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
At no point before 9-11 did I ever get thanked for my service, not even by my family. They'd maybe say they were proud or something, but generally, all the thanks for serving didn't happen until a good bit after 9-11.

Plus, back when I was in, you actually had to do something while in the military for anyone to give you a nod. Working a desk in Podunk, North Dakota - but doing it in a uniform - was not sufficient cause to be labeled hero. You actually had to go do some hero level stuff. These days...you become heroic before the bus drops you off at boot camp. We've totally cheapened the concept of heroism.

Had a great chat with the XO of a SEAL team once, and we both settled on "yeah, it's a job" for describing our own rates/billets. I found during my decade of serving that how puffed up someone got about their own service was usually directly opposite of how close to anything remotely dangerous they ever got. You talk to guys on a SEAL team and they were like "yeah, beats working at McDonalds", but talk to some E2 pencil pusher who couldn't tell you where the Pond was much less having ever been on a ship, and they'd wear you out with their Audie Murphy patriotism and dig-it hoorahs.

Final thought to those who think you can never question anyone's service - if you had encountered the sheer volume of dumbassery that anyone in the military deals with on a routine, daily basis...you'd back off that whole "never question anyone's service" nonsense. A whole lot of the military is as effed as a soup sandwich on their best day, and if you knew them, you would be nervous to let them walk your dog, much less refer to them as heroic.
For me, where you are stationed makes a difference. I was active duty from 1996-2003 and was stationed in California, Texas, and Maryland. I was never thanked in California, constantly thanked in Texas, and rarely thanked in Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies