Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:47 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If Powell was "spot on" we would have had a rate drop last meeting.

As it is, we did not get that.
And after today's CPI we will not get one next meeting.

Now if you call that "spot on"....well I have oceanfront properties in Montana to sell.

But it's election year so we can only hear happy news from the talking heads....that is until. the data comes out.
Lowering rates last meeting would have been a terrible move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 07:47 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If Powell was "spot on" we would have had a rate drop last meeting.

As it is, we did not get that.
And after today's CPI we will not get one next meeting.

Now if you call that "spot on"....well I have oceanfront properties in Montana to sell.

But it's election year so we can only hear happy news from the talking heads....that is until. the data comes out.
Spot on because so far a soft landing. The economy is improving, our inflation is coming down, the USD stays strong, and no recession.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:12 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Bunch of horse****. Tell my grocery prices that. A jar of blueberry preserves that costed $4.99 just a few short yeas ago are now $8.99. Almost double. My wages sure haven't doubled over the past four years.

And I'm sure a good portion of America actually belief that BS rather than their own eyes and pocketbooks. They'd believe bears can fly if a worthless government lackey told them so.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:21 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Record low unemployment
Record High Stock Market
Let's not forget how they count record unemployment. If you hold 2 or more jobs that increases the numbers.

People who lose one job and is hired again. Union workers who went on strike and start working again. Etc...

American families are suffering under a 6% annual inflation on household expenses, eating out, etc... Three times the normal rate of inflation.

As the author Sir Arthur C. Clarke said, “Only small minds are impressed by large numbers.”

Old 02-14-2024, 08:54 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Bunch of horse****. Tell my grocery prices that. A jar of blueberry preserves that costed $4.99 just a few short yeas ago are now $8.99. Almost double. My wages sure haven't doubled over the past four years.

And I'm sure a good portion of America actually belief that BS rather than their own eyes and pocketbooks. They'd believe bears can fly if a worthless government lackey told them so.
If you used all your paycheck to buy the blueberries you would really have a problem. But you don't.
Inflation is a little more complicated than selecting a grocery item - at least for most people. The very poorest are spending the most, as a percentage, on groceries. They have a real problem.

For you and me, sitting in our comfortable homes browsing the Internet with our computers, life goes on. Our homes appreciate, our cars depreciate very little, and our stock market investments are at a multi year high. The price increase of blueberries matters very little since we make it up in other places.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:36 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
So the economy will never be good again?

Since 1970 there have only been 2 times there has been deflation: March-October 2009 and March and April 2015. 2015 deflation averaged -0.1% year-over-year. In 2009, deflation peaked at -1.5%
Never said that. I highlighted the metrics the average American tends to look at to decide if "the economy" is good or not, in their opinion.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:10 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
American families are suffering under a 6% annual inflation
The annual inflation rate for the United States was 3.1% for the 12 months ending January 31, 2024

https://www.usinflationcalculator.co...flation-rates/

Old 02-15-2024, 12:45 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Front page of Marketwatch right now:
"The Atlanta Federal Reserve's estimate of U.S. economic growth in the first quarter, known as GDPNow, was REDUCED to 2.9% from 3.4% after a big drop in retail sales in January."

People are broke.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,540 times
The economy is going great,just ignore the crime homelessness and empty storefronts .

Old 02-20-2024, 01:03 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
So much has been written about the mystery of the economy doing well, but people not completely registering it.

Apparently it's not just that our economy is doing well for us, but that it's even doing well in comparison to other countries.

The Soft Landing Is Global, but It’s Cushiest in America
Economies all over the world are lowering inflation while avoiding serious recession — but growth in the United States stands out.

“This is a good situation, let’s be honest, this is a good economy,” Jerome H. Powell, the chair of the U.S. Federal Reserve.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/b...inflation.html
You can keep a house of cards from falling for a while by printing trillions of dollars to fund a government that hires 60% of all workers.. do some research on those job numbers. Focus on who is hiring then look at the originally published numbers then the very quietly adjusted numbers. I'm Someday, the money printing will stop and the cards will all fall.

God help us all if anyone thinks this is driven by private sector growth. The government cannot generate income and earnings. Only take from one and give to another.

As you stated, let's be honest. We are witnessing a train wreck and that is why you're seeing so so so many politicians jumping ship and retiring. They are getting the hell out of dodge.

We are like a little boy whistling in the dark trying to keep his spirits up. Gray for our children and grand children. Rough times ahead for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies