Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 04:44 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Kamala wants equal outcomes.

She won't get them without cheating, as democrats are wont to do.

Aside from that it sounds like Affirmative Action which had been tried and largely judged to be a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 04:50 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
I interpret it differently. It's about helping people with who come from disadvantaged situations have the same opportunity for success or safety that others who already possess more resources and protections don't have to be concerned about. I feel certain that MLK would not object.

The government has been "helping" in one way or another since LBJ's "Great Society" social experiment. The results have been the destruction of the family unit, far more children being born out of wedlock/raised in single family households, etc. The results are in... Mr Ronald Reagan had it right. "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

And don't get me started on all the foolish ways democrats are trying to "help" in modern times... The results have been getting worse at an exponential rate, much like our nation's debt situation. It really does seem like the more money the government spends, the more broken our society becomes.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:55 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Equal opportunity is good enough. Equal outcomes would be the death of the nation, because that means standards are lowered, or unqualified people are given preferential treatment.

Our adversaries certainly aren’t spending time and money on equal outcomes.
It's already happening, my friend.

Husband worked in very specialized, technical job for which there were not many qualified people. Every time he was going to hire someone to backfill a position, he was told must be a woman. That wasn't THAT hard. But then he was told a black woman. THAT was hard. He had to pass over extremely smart, qualified white men to hire a woman that didn't exist. So the jobs didn't get filled and the heavy work load was redistributed among the existing team.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:14 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's already happening, my friend.

Husband worked in very specialized, technical job for which there were not many qualified people. Every time he was going to hire someone to backfill a position, he was told must be a woman. That wasn't THAT hard. But then he was told a black woman. THAT was hard. He had to pass over extremely smart, qualified white men to hire a woman that didn't exist. So the jobs didn't get filled and the heavy work load was redistributed among the existing team.
Had a very similar situation, back during the lawsuits that the NAACP filed against a lot of the tech companies.

We were in a holding pattern because we could not offer one of the dozen candidates we had for a very technical engineering gig. We were fairly anxious to get the position filled, because it was causing a delay on several large deals. This was the very, very early days of DEI. The word came down from the top of the mountain that the hire needed to be a black female.

One small problem............we had ZERO resumes from black females.

Black females comprise roughly 6.5% of the population. But technically-educated black females are MAYBE --- and I do mean maybe --- .005% of the population. 20 weeks later, working through dozens of recruiters, the only 2 black females we could find to interview were entry-level engineers, and that's being exceptionally generous. It took another 16 weeks to eventually fill the job with someone who fit the "identity" the company was after, but definitely did not fit the talent needed. A month later, I decided that I had had enough, and left the company. Not shockingly, the stench of DEI still hangs over the company, and lots of talented people have departed.

The empty vessel that we call Kamala is just parroting the embarrassing talking points of identity politics that the Democrats obsess over. There is NO SUCH THING as equal outcomes, and honestly, there never has been.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:18 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Kamala wants equal outcomes.

She is the example of an underqualified person in a great position of power (wishing to help others along of her ilk) to make this country less than what ii should be, and certainly less capable than it can be.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:24 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Kamala Harris is the walking definition of “equal outcomes”

She got boosted into the second most powerful position in the country (and possibly the #1 position on earth if Biden gets the 25th’ed) all because she is a colored woman

Old 02-14-2024, 05:25 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Kamala Harris is the walking definition of “equal outcomes”

She got boosted into the second most powerful position in the country (and possibly the #1 position on earth if Biden gets the 25th’ed) all because she is a colored woman
"Colored?"

Holy 1963, Batman!

Old 02-14-2024, 05:28 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
I interpret it differently. It's about helping people with who come from disadvantaged situations have the same opportunity for success or safety that others who already possess more resources and protections don't have to be concerned about. I feel certain that MLK would not object.
That would be equal opportunity which we have today.

Equal outcome though...that's a horse of a different color.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:28 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
"Colored?"

Holy 1963, Batman!
It’s black history month, bro

Old 02-14-2024, 05:32 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The government has been "helping" in one way or another since LBJ's "Great Society" social experiment. The results have been the destruction of the family unit, far more children being born out of wedlock/raised in single family households, etc. The results are in... Mr Ronald Reagan had it right. "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."
I mean, we could go back as far as the abandoned Reconstruction Era...but closer to LBJ, we can also look at post-WWII when the GI Bill and suburban housing were off-limits to Blacks who were already being redlined in the cities. We could also look at White suburban flight as well as the automation and offshoring of manufacturing jobs. To the point that the latter also affected White blue-collar workers, the effect on Black and Brown laborers who were more likely to depend on those jobs was even more profound.

Quote:
And don't get me started on all the foolish ways democrats are trying to "help" in modern times... The results have been getting worse at an exponential rate, much like our nation's debt situation. It really does seem like the more money the government spends, the more broken our society becomes.
A bipartisan effort is needed, I would agree. Unfortunately, one party's solution is to scapegoat people of color as "the problem"; that's why they rarely win in urban cities and counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies