Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 04:25 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 9 days ago)

791 posts, read 375,161 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article and although I have heard the term 'bothsiderism' I never really bothered to contemplate it much further. Apparently Jon Stewart was criticized for this by some liberals because he chose to poke fun at Biden.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jo...ou/ar-BB1ihAPl

Now, I understand everyone has bias but is it just me or is 'bothsiderism' a term being used to pressure people into not considering "both sides" because the left already knows which side is right? Therefore, anyone who even proposes an alternative point of view that challenges the status quo should be shunned because they are guilty of 'bothsiderism'?

If so God help us, if that isn't straight up scary for anyone with a shred of independent thought I don't know what is - and entire group of people refusing to consider alternate viewpoints because they 'know they are right'. The comments were next level - accusing him of 'destroying Democracy' by giving credence to theory that Joe Biden is too old for the job and informing other liberals not to even watch it.

The entire premise of bothsiderism is literally intended to protect the identity of liberals from outside influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 05:21 AM

10,754 posts, read 4,344,063 times
I still don't understand how President Trump was criticized for saying there were good people on both sides.
The people protesting peacefully against removal of statues were nothing to do with a car driving through the crowd or whatever fighting ensued.
So how on earth can Trump's statement be so heavily criticized?

Old 02-16-2024, 05:26 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
There's no such thing as independent thought right now. The right has left it behind, tattered, and the Left doesn't and never has believed in it.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:29 AM

4,546 posts, read 2,269,608 times
Yeah right after the DOJ determined that Biden is nothing more than a doddering old dolt, Twitter was filled with pro-Joe bots and blue checks outraged about it. They’ve never seen a president treated that way. I guess Trump doesn’t count. These people don’t seem to care that we are being ruled by unelected bureaucrats. It’s scary.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:43 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I still don't understand how President Trump was criticized for saying there were good people on both sides.
The people protesting peacefully against removal of statues were nothing to do with a car driving through the crowd or whatever fighting ensued.
So how on earth can Trump's statement be so heavily criticized?

Because the rules of journalistic truth and decency have been changed for Trump. It's really just that simple.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,961,729 times
"Bothsiderism"? Is that just the hillbilly word for objectivity and fairness that the rest of us use?

Old 02-16-2024, 07:16 AM

78,401 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Bothersiderism is just a tactic where you want to shut down any reasonable debate or discussion around a topic because you view yourself as good and right in all things and the opposition is just pure evil.

These are the people that don't even want a discussion, basic Zealotry 101.

I'm not aiming this at any group, it pops up from time to time.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:16 AM

6,660 posts, read 2,969,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
I was reading an article and although I have heard the term 'bothsiderism' I never really bothered to contemplate it much further. Apparently Jon Stewart was criticized for this by some liberals because he chose to poke fun at Biden.

Now, I understand everyone has bias but is it just me or is 'bothsiderism' a term being used to pressure people into not considering "both sides" because the left already knows which side is right?
Jon Stewart was just as guilty as riding the hate-Trumper train as any of those other late night talk show folk. Now that Trump is possibly back in the news for the election he conveniently returns? If he is trying to back peddle and come off as 'fair' now, he can fade away like the others, imho.

That said, the term 'Bothsiderism" is just another way for one side to 'shame' the other out of the convo, like you suggest.

Coming up with catch names and labels is popular and effective to put people on their heels and instead of addressing the argument, it is meant to pivot it to defending oneself.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:26 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's no such thing as independent thought right now. The right has left it behind, tattered, and the Left doesn't and never has believed in it.
Who is the arbiter of independent thought?

I'm a conservative, but haven't always been. I tend to have my perspective and temper that with information and common sense. I can not possibly know everything without others input. Ask me about local politics I'm good, ask me about national or world politics, I have to get that information.

I have independent thoughts about fishing, hunting, where to eat, etc, but when it comes to politics or global affairs I have to get that information from someone/somewhere else. From there... I form an opinion and that is not independent thought it's my conclusions, my predictions, or understanding so my independent thought is dependent on others.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:31 AM

21,123 posts, read 19,707,707 times
The Left can't avoid the obvious. They were wrong on so many things, including Biden. At some point you just have to admit you effed up before you become a mockery. Bill Maher has done it. Tulsi Gabbard. Elon Musk. Even these liberal mayors admitting that Biden's Open Borders was a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies