Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 07:16 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Denial plays a huge part. Always pointing a finger and never admitting that everyone is a part of the problem. We accepted money to infiltrate politics and we no longer have standards or hold anyone accountable. Some states have gone completely rouge and do as they please with their Congress in tow. Everyone just complains, but go about their business as usual.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:35 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You can thank the American left for destroying the country.
The topic was isn’t about destroying the country, it’s about corruption, and it’s on both sides and has been for decades. How do people take a $200,000 a year job and live in multi-million dollar mansions and multi-million dollar stock portfolios? Wake up, the Left/Right = Bad but my side good, is a diversion tactic to keep corrupt people in power.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:37 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,271,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The topic was isn’t about destroying the country, it’s about corruption, and it’s on both sides and has been for decades. How do people take a $200,000 a year job and live in multi-million dollar mansions and multi-million dollar stock portfolios? Wake up, the Left/Right = Bad but my side good, is a diversion tactic to keep corrupt people in power.

I agree with you to some extent. I think there are some on the right who still mean well. And this is why I support Trump. He is a threat to the status quo.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:43 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Mail in voting should end a few days prior to election day. The votes counted. As soon as polls close, the mail in voting results should immediately be posted. This would prevent bad optics. The way it should be.
If someone misses the mail in date, they can show up on election day to vote. Plenty of chances and ways to get your vote counted. No excuses.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:48 AM

674 posts, read 334,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It doesn't really matter who we elect into office anymore. They all become corrupt and even those politicians that really do care has to play along with the corrupt politicians or risk being politically assassinated. Eventually all of the politicians will be held accountable when the country runs out of financial and technological superiority when the rest of the world decide on a new world order.
I'm more concerned by the fact that openly endorsing antisemitic conspiracy theories and wanting to disenfranchise all women are no longer seen as deal breakers in a statewide GOP primary (see North Carolina).

I have one foot out the door already, I just need to last 18 more years to collect my full Social Security, assuming it still exists at that point, and I'm out the door.

I'm not even going to buy real estate here anymore. Staying liquid, staying mobile.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:48 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I agree with you to some extent. I think there are some on the right who still mean well. And this is why I support Trump. He is a threat to the status quo.
I think there are individuals on both sides that still mean well. But I know plenty of people who have $200,000 a year household income, and none of them live in multi million dollar mansions or retire with 25 million in assets. So the people who mean well are still part of a corrupt system.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:50 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Our country is the best in the world. Despite how horrible the politics is. We have the reserve currency and are the leader in just about everything. Oil production, tech, entertainment, food production, etc. You name it. Stop being a debbie downer. Embrace American Exceptionalism. Its very real. Every single country and its citizens wish they were us. We are better than all of them! Take that to the bank!

We need to talk more smack against the rest of the world (losers) and stop the needless infighting between the left and right. America is great!
Except for Japan and some of the Western European countries. I'd still be happier if I lived in one of them.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:56 AM

674 posts, read 334,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Except for Japan and some of the Western European countries. I'd still be happier if I lived in one of them.
Learn a language. That's the first step. Pick one.

Spanish is the most useful as it is very widely spoken as a first language.

French is also very useful as it is an official language in three European countries and Canada as well as several African countries. It's also a common second language.

Portuguese has a lot of speakers but isn't as useful as the first two.

German is the dominant language in three European countries and is a common second language.

Italian is an easy pickup if you already know a Romance language.

Pick one of those and go from there.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Learn a language. That's the first step. Pick one.

Spanish is the most useful as it is very widely spoken as a first language.

French is also very useful as it is an official language in three European countries and Canada as well as several African countries. It's also a common second language.

Portuguese has a lot of speakers but isn't as useful as the first two.

German is the dominant language in three European countries and is a common second language.

Italian is an easy pickup if you already know a Romance language.

Pick one of those and go from there.
I know basic/conversational Japanese which I learned from childhood but haven't advanced much since then, so it probably won't be enough to get by. When I was living there before I had a Japanese GF so that helped a lot. Couldn't do that now with my Ukrainian wife.

I took Spanish in high school and tried to learn Italian while I was living there but it wasn't easy. At least in Northern Italy and most of Germany many people speak English. I've also thought about UK only the high cost of living, tougher immigration policies, and the climate are some obstacles.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:10 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You and others keep going back to the fact that Trump was a liberal Dem back in the days - if anything he should be respected more because he woke up and saw how Democratic policies were hurting people rather than helping them. I was a Democrat for 47 yrs but had been disillusioned with the Dem party for years. After moving I consider myself an Independent. Really party means nothing because I'm proud of RFK for standing up to the Dems, I'm proud of Trump for standing up to the Rhinos - people these days are too fixated on parties and race - get over it and judge on character and morals - but you can't because you've been indoctrinated that orange man is bad.
Ronald Reagan was a solid Democrat for decades, until the Party moved so far to the Left, it left him to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.