Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2024, 05:51 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times

Advertisements

I hate DST. Always have, always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 06:31 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Why doesn’t Arizona observe daylight savings?
In 1968, the state Legislature voted to opt out of the Uniform Time Act, which mandated daylight-saving time. This decision was made to avoid having a later sunset hour in a state with extremely hot temperatures, where residents heavily rely on air conditioning.

https://www.ncesc.com/geographic-faq...sert%20climate.

Yet, some claim in here that there is no difference in energy conservation in the hot summers months whether they and other hot climate states are on DST or Standard time. I guess AZ is clueless to that and I guess I am to according to the DST fans.

Old 03-11-2024, 07:48 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In 1968, the state Legislature voted to opt out of the Uniform Time Act, which mandated daylight-saving time. This decision was made to avoid having a later sunset hour in a state with extremely hot temperatures, where residents heavily rely on air conditioning.

Yet, some claim in here that there is no difference in energy conservation in the hot summers months whether they and other hot climate states are on DST or Standard time. I guess AZ is clueless to that and I guess I am to according to the DST fans.
In 1968, most people worked outside of the home. So, if you're only running the AC from 6pm to sunset, then DST makes a difference, because it adds an hour of daylight to the time that the AC is used. But if you work from home, or keep your house at the same temperature all day anyway, then DST doesn't make any difference.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:01 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
On Sunday, March 10 at 2 a.m., the U.S. and about a third of the world’s other countries will set their clocks forward by one hour, which will make the sun seem to rise later in the morning and hang in the sky longer in the evening. I am not alone in dreading it. Plenty of people want nothing to do with the whole hoary practice.

It’s bad for health, bad for safety, bad for your mood, and just plain unpopular. But that doesn’t stop us from changing the clocks, pointlessly, twice a year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/da...19b48eee&ei=23

I know this topic keeps being brought up twice a year but I agree with the above summation of DST. Would love for us to go on Standard Time all year long instead.
I like DST.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:05 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:

Yes, AZ is clueless. If businesses are going the run the AC redundantly of all the homes, they should do it earlier in the day, which DST would allow them to do (effectively 8-4 instead of 9-5).

Old 03-11-2024, 08:17 PM

10,832 posts, read 4,517,327 times
Quote:
I'm not the one who didn't chill out. You and a couple of other posters got hostile with me

lol, if I get hostile there is smoke and flames and sirens rising in the distance. There are not, ergo I did not.

Quote:
not the other way around. Even went on the attack because I consider the upper part if the lower peninsula and the upper peninsula of Michigan to be in the northeast. Again, it's just my opinion and the sentiments of my neighbors up there.
I did not, so do not bear false witness. Howrever, my boss DOES live in the upper part of the lower portion - i.e. the mitten - he is one of your neighbors and he does not at all think that area, nor anyone he has ever known, is in the northeast. Heck he is correct in saying that me in PA coupla (many) hundred miles east is STILL not the north east. (I know they SAY it is, but we (pa-ians) reserve that for going north up I81 or east I80)

Quote:
So you go outside when it's 100 degrees for activities? Come on, whom do you think you are kidding?
IF it gets to be 100 outside - and the last time is was here, it was about 1993 iirc, for almost a week, I was on the boat every day. 9am to after 7 sitting in the plain before the dam on raystown lake, in the water alll day. so to answer your question - I am kidding no one. And guess what, IF you are in the USA and it gets to be 100* out the following is true: a) it is summer b) it is high daylight, regardless of clock.

Quote:
I'm done trying to explain to you that those of us who live in the hot southwest don't need more sunlight and heat later in the evening. The sun is much cooler in the morning hours.
the sun is not cooler, Im like 99% sure it is the same temp, the air however is cooler. the sunlight and heat you get you are going to get. G-d has made is so. clock time, is irrelevant. If G-d would see fit to toss in some more lakes, I would visit more. You, more than anyone else, seems to need to get outside. There is a thread here titled 'what was the last thing you did outside', start participating. baby steps. You are expressing a rigidity and inflexibility on clock time. If we sent you to Australia would you have a melt down? Christmas Caroling in shorts! indeed!

Quote:
I also have to question why you and yours are continuing to ignore that DST was a failure before but you want to try it again? I also have to question why it's being ignored what the health experts have to say about it. I guess those facts above don't matter nor energy conservation either just personal feelings and desires.
1) you talk as if it past tense. My clocks got set I dunno, 36ish hours ago, so its still a thing, AND, 2) being 60, I see more docs than I am accustomed to. Not a single one, nor any they know has said 'you know what, this whole clock thing is bad'. They instead talk about refined sugar and omega 3/6 balances.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:50 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
If I lived in a furnace I'd move, same if I lived in a freezer. DST etc means nothing if you live in hell on earth.

Old 03-12-2024, 05:34 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Whatever. I didn't claim to be something great. At least I admit my failures and weaknesses. For us Barney's, the early am is terror.
" For us Barney's, the early am is terror"

Terror, really?

Whatever!

Have you ever seen a therapist for this "ailment"?

Old 03-12-2024, 05:41 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" For us Barney's, the early am is terror"

Terror, really?

Whatever!

Have you ever seen a therapist for this "ailment"?
Yes I made an appointment. Checking into the asylum this am. Asylum called work. Is there anything else I may do for you?

Old 03-12-2024, 05:44 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If I lived in a furnace I'd move, same if I lived in a freezer. DST etc means nothing if you live in hell on earth.
This is a good point. The states being discussed Michigan and Arizona are extreme places. One is a freezer and the other a furnace. The time change is not going to help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies