Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 11:04 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
How important? Important as compared to what?
Important because Biden cannot recall the dates of his own stint as VP, the year his son died even after being told, etc. That's not normal, and you know it. Time to invoke the 25th Amendment and oust him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 11:25 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Important because Biden cannot recall the dates of his own stint as VP, the year his son died even after being told, etc. That's not normal, and you know it. Time to invoke the 25th Amendment and oust him.
I explained how I have the same sort of memory problem and always have. My father on the other hand had a great memory for such things. Something I always admired but just not something that was ever a strong point for me. I have a hard time remembering the birth years of my children and/or many important dates that others seem able to recall with ease. Regardless of age. I also know I'm not at all that unique when it comes to those of us who can't recall these sorts of details.

Not normal, and I know it?

Not sure what is normal in this case, but reason to invoke the 25th Amendment? Good luck with that one.

Thanks for another good little chuckle as I've got to sign off and get onto other more productive things now.

Cheers!

Old 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM

5,338 posts, read 4,424,945 times
This thread is about Biden and the State of the Union. Please stay on topic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:32 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
I explained how I have the same sort of memory problem and always have. My father on the other hand had a great memory for such things. Something I always admired but just not something that was ever a strong point for me. I have a hard time remembering the birth years of my children and/or many important dates that others seem able to recall with ease. Regardless of age. I also know I'm not at all that unique when it comes to those of us who can't recall these sorts of details.

Yes. NOT normal. What other politician cannot remember when they recently served as VPOTUS?

Old 03-12-2024, 12:12 PM

23,502 posts, read 12,502,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
We are going to have to agree to disagree. I think experience is a plus. If I’m hiring a person to run the government, I think 50 years of experience is government is a net positive. No, he didn’t fix all of America’s woes - he’s one guy. In the past 50 years, some things have improved- others have gotten worse. Same as it always was.
Someone spending decades in a position without doing much other than getting a paycheck, that doesn't mean much. What did he do as a senator that was great? Unlike you, I wouldn't consider pushing for laws to imprison more black people as a "net positive".

Quote:
One of the things I think that has gotten worse is that middle class wages have stagnated and good paying jobs for non college educated people have diminished. Those are two things he addressed in his speech and for the first time in my lifetime those are two issues a president is actually improving. He said the middle class built America and the unions built the middle class. Yep. He’s speaking my language. As for a president can’t be a grandpa - well, every president puts their own stamp on the office. Bush was the guy you really liked having a beer with. Trump was your crazy uncle. Obama was a cold but often inspiring college professor. (These are just my subjective impressions of course.) I’m perfectly fine with grandpa president shuffling around if his mind is still quick. I see no evidence that it’s not.
He later walked that back when he'd said it was the illegals who'd built this country, is he still speaking your language with that?

President Biden received criticism online for claiming in a recent interview that "undocumented" immigrants built this country.

The statement came as he apologized for using the term "illegal" to describe Jose Ibarra, the Venezuelan national accused of killing Augusta University nursing student Laken Riley. The president drew backlash on social media for crediting illegal immigrants for having "built" the U.S. – something he had previously credited to the American middle class.

"In his SOTU speech he said unions and the middle class built this country, now he says ‘undocumented’ immigrants built the country. Any guess as to who he will say built the country the next time he’s speaking to an African-American audience?" journalist Jeff Gremillion wrote on X.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...ss/ar-BB1jE1t0

He's a politician, he lies to you and tells you what you think you want to hear...and he's had 50 years of "experience" in doing just that.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:49 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:

Not sure what is normal in this case, but reason to invoke the 25th Amendment? Good luck with that one.

Thanks for another good little chuckle as I've got to sign off and get onto other more productive things now.

Cheers!
Do you think that you, with your memory problems, would make a good POTUS?

Old 03-13-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
We are going to have to agree to disagree. I think experience is a plus. If I’m hiring a person to run the government, I think 50 years of experience is government is a net positive. No, he didn’t fix all of America’s woes - he’s one guy. In the past 50 years, some things have improved- others have gotten worse. Same as it always was. One of the things I think that has gotten worse is that middle class wages have stagnated and good paying jobs for non college educated people have diminished. Those are two things he addressed in his speech and for the first time in my lifetime those are two issues a president is actually improving. He said the middle class built America and the unions built the middle class. Yep. He’s speaking my language. As for a president can’t be a grandpa - well, every president puts their own stamp on the office. Bush was the guy you really liked having a beer with. Trump was your crazy uncle. Obama was a cold but often inspiring college professor. (These are just my subjective impressions of course.) I’m perfectly fine with grandpa president shuffling around if his mind is still quick. I see no evidence that it’s not.
Nice somewhat accurate characterization across the board. My compliments!

What a POTUS can or cannot do when it comes to many of these issues touched upon in the state of the union address is largely misunderstood by too many Americans in my opinion. As for being a grandpa, I agree with you. I've known some people in their 70s (and younger) that couldn't think their way out of a paper bag. Some that have made it into their later 80s who are "sharp as a tack." Good or bad memory no matter.

I wonder how many people offering all manner of criticism about Biden and his address could even consider making an address to the nation let alone all the rest Biden is doing on a daily basis. Biden had a speech a stutter problem at a young age, yet continued a life of public service and countless public speeches right up to this one. Whereas public speaking is one of the top phobias for many Americans who can't speak in public to begin with.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Do you think that you, with your memory problems, would make a good POTUS?
I don't know about me personally when it comes to making a good POTUS. That takes some serious consideration and political testing I've never really challenged myself to take on over the course of my career, but I can otherwise answer your question this way...

I don't believe a good memory is a prerequisite or necessary to be a good leader or POTUS. What I can say on a more personal level that I believe applies to others as well is this. A good range or positive attributes is what matters most; critical thinking, empathy, "emotional intelligence," experience, a true desire to help others and so on. None of which requires a good memory.

I am 67 now, and I started working at age 16. My resume after a good long somewhat successful career in business has included many a begin and end date going from one company to the next. Including the start and operation of my own for some years. If ever anyone asks me when I began or started any of these jobs, I can never remember the dates or years. If I didn't have my handy resume to refer to, I'd be lost. This doesn't mean my resume doesn't speak to my strengths and accomplishments however.

There are other far more important things to consider when it comes to evaluating a resume, and rather than tank anyone for any one particular weakness, "the chosen ones" tend to be those who have far more in the way of important positive traits and abilities as a whole. This is what I think has made Biden as successful as he has been over the course of his long public service career over his weaknesses like a poor memory. Up to and including being elected and assuming the responsibilities of the President of the United States.

I think most Americans would agree with this generally speaking. Whether they are Biden fans or not.

Old 03-30-2024, 07:19 AM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
After watching Biden I would call it Hate of the Union address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies