Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2024, 08:24 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times

Advertisements

Dont blame the source, Tik Tok. Blame the brain dead folks that seem to need it. And China cashing in on all the stupidity they care to exploit. Well maybe I have spoken out of turn. I have never even been on the site to condemn it. I've also never done hard drugs to know they're not good for you.

Old 03-15-2024, 05:38 AM

4,165 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's about the data...they can't get the data.

He who has the data gets to manipulate the people.
They lost Twitter and no one uses Instagram anymore.
Not quite true. Instagram is still very alive and doing well.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:33 AM

3,646 posts, read 1,600,968 times
From what I understand is China accesses all data from Apple iPones made in China when those iPhones are used in China. However Apple managed a deal that China would not have access to data when iPhones are used in USA, even though made in China.

You can thank Apple for keeping China from accessing your iPhone used in the states. However, there's another way to access phone data- via an app. Apps can require access to your phone data which you allow when you accept to install the app, no matter the phone.

The trick was making an app very popular and that they figured out likely with a lot of research.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:17 AM

3,395 posts, read 1,548,545 times
As a lawyer explained this is the patriot act 2.0. they can put a stop to any app saying a foreign adversary is attached to it even if they don't own it or legally tied to it. Any app is up for grabs with this legislation. They want the data because the plan on a social credit score for Americans. You say something that they don't like your score goes down and you lose rights and privileges. China has this now.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:47 AM

9,866 posts, read 4,641,933 times
I'd rather see more effort for people to be in charge of their own information.

One should not have to opt out of cookies or selling information. These sites need to incentivized to make money other ways or give users incentives to opt in. And at a minimum US companies should not be allowed to sell information to foreign owned companies let alone sell it.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:48 AM

6,104 posts, read 3,341,443 times
I trust Rand Paul’s judgment here. Tik Tok shouldn’t be banned.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:55 AM

17,301 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
As a lawyer explained this is the patriot act 2.0. they can put a stop to any app saying a foreign adversary is attached to it even if they don't own it or legally tied to it. Any app is up for grabs with this legislation. They want the data because the plan on a social credit score for Americans. You say something that they don't like your score goes down and you lose rights and privileges. China has this now.
Yeah have anti-China rhetoric turned up to 11 on this while the bill itself would make us more like China.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:00 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So...we are cheering our government acting like China to....protect us from China...even though the CEO is from Singapore?
No surprise.

China makes almost everything we consume, yet it's TikTok that's the trouble.

NC Congressman Jeff Jackson (D) had a terrible week on TikTok. He used the platform extensively for his election campaign and used it heavily to connect with young voters, yet this week voted Yes on this measure. The backlash has been quite something.

Now, the question is, if they're worrying about the TikTok algorithm promoting Chinese interests, does that cover why so many followed Mr. Jackson? Has he been pushed onto us via Beijing?!

It's absolute nonsense. Nothing about this is anything to do with protecting Americans. It's to do with them not being able to profit off our data, otherwise Facebook would also be against the wall.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:20 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
No surprise.

NC Congressman Jeff Jackson (D) had a terrible week on TikTok. He used the platform extensively for his election campaign and used it heavily to connect with young voters, yet this week voted Yes on this measure. The backlash has been quite something.

Now, the question is, if they're worrying about the TikTok algorithm promoting Chinese interests, does that cover why so many followed Mr. Jackson? Has he been pushed onto us via Beijing?!

It's absolute nonsense. Nothing about this is anything to do with protecting Americans. It's to do with them not being able to profit off our data, otherwise Facebook would also be against the wall.
Correct. It has nothing at all to do with 'protecting Americans'. If these idiots were so concerned about 'protecting' Americans, we wouldn't have a wide open border right now, for one.

But banning TikTok is so much more important than stopping the illegal entry of who knows what kind of people have been flooding in here.

It's because they can't censor it like they did with Google, Fakebook, and Twitter.

I have been on TikTok numerous times after thinking it was a platform for Tide Pod eaters. Turns out, it's not. It is no different than Twitter (X, whatever), Fakebook, Instagram, YouTube, or pretty much anything on the internet, except that they don't ban people for alleged 'misinformation'. You know who does get on those who put out misinformation? Like aliens at the Miami mall? Other TikTokers.

Of all the times I have watched TikTok, (usually at work towards the end of the day as it gets slow), I have never, not even once, seen anything pro China on it.

I have seen a huge chunk of animal videos. I've seen people, both sides, or no side, complaining about the government (oops, I wonder if that makes those useless eaters anxious). I have seen DIYs, I have seen amazing scenery of nature around the world. I've laughed along with fellow Gen Xers who explain to Millennials and Gen Z what being Gen X was like when we were kids. I've seen people make fun of current events - like when that fool jumped over the table to attack the judge. I've seen truckers going live while they drive OTR. I've seen crazy weather in various places around the world. I've seen people making fun of social issues. Just yesterday, a guy from some Middle Eastern country, or at least their heritage, making fun of himself being the bad guy, so he brought a cute dog with him so that he would no longer be 'the bad guy'. First comment on that video? 'I thought to myself, who is that terr...ific guy with the cute dog?'

In other words, while not all of TikTok has great entertainment, quite a bit of it does. And people who are not being shut down by woke culture lunatics, are making total fun of themselves. A black girl put up a video calling 911 (parody). The dispatcher asks her for her description. She says, "I'm a bla....I'm white." Dispatcher says he'll get help there fast, but just a few more questions. Asks stereotypical questions based on race, and she passes them all until the very end when the dispatcher says, 'Finally, say "ask".' She proceeds to (comically) pretend to try to say 'ask' but it keeps coming out 'axe', and the dispatcher hangs up on her.

This is the kind of thing that will not be allowed anywhere else. It's allowed on TikTok - it's humor, and no one is butt hurt by any of it.

We get to talk, freely. No one is getting upset about it. It reminds me of when the internet was young, and not stifled by censors.

Again, in all of the time I've viewed anything on TikTok, not a single time have I seen pro China anything.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:29 AM

43,085 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
No surprise.

No they are not worried about that.

If TikTok hands over the user data to them then TikTok can stay.
They aren't worried about China spying; they are worried that they cannot get all the user data from TikTok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.