Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 08:40 AM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times

Advertisements

Chicago can be dangerous. Crime in downtown has increased in areas that used to be considered safe. Murder rates may be down, but robberies, carjackings and assaults are up. I know people who won't go into the city anymore. Crime is extending into the suburbs like never before.

It's never predictable, and people still enjoy the great things to do and see in Chicago, yes. But people are feeling tense just filling up their cars with gas these days. Personally, not me, but others I know have said that's how they feel.

From Dec. 2023
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...-humboldt-park

Chicago is seeing largest spike in robberies in over 20 years, analysis shows Nearly 4,900 robberies happened between July 1 and Nov. 26, a more than 55% increase compared to the previous five months. That’s the largest percentage increase in robberies between consecutive five-month periods since at least 2001
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 08:43 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
On Fox News
Well, there's your first mistake.

All cities have crime; some have more crime than others. All cities have pockets that are more safe or less safe than others. Also, criminals are mobile. If they want to travel into higher-income areas of the city, or into the suburbs, they will. This is nothing new.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:48 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,751,492 times
Are New York and Chicago as bad as the news says?

Yes.

Have you been to the Southside lately? How about the Westside? Probably not. They've literally become bombed out, no-go zones. Just look at google street view images.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CD9aAD8QnqRYMTS69

This is major commercial thoroughfare with an EL station serving it...AND it's an urban wasteland.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LMXaENyDVmrWCRXNA

The Ultra White Liberal areas are ok though. Funny how the most liberal cities are the most racially segregated!

Old 03-19-2024, 08:52 AM

10,077 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
When we went to NYC last May we didn't even both with the subway. We took cabs or walked it. Didn't want to take any chances
Yep, if I ever went to NYC, I'd never step foot on a subway.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:16 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Here in NYC, not even remotely as close as Fox News or similar--sensationalizes it to be.

I live here in Brooklyn, and I'm in Manhattan 3-4 times per week, all over the island.

There are more immigrants visible occasionally on the streets, and for example, sometimes I'll see a woman and her child or two, with a sign made out of cardboard asking for help. Or I'll see a group of several people on the sidewalks and corner somewhere waiting around, who seem to give off the look of recently arrived, probable immigrants.

But this is sporadic, and you don't see folks everywhere. Only in certain areas.

In terms of crime, NYC is so large, that you'll rarely encounter anything ever, and although subway incidents have risen, the police are there much more.

The biggest issues here in NYC are rising rental and housing costs.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:32 AM

11,239 posts, read 11,015,248 times
The reason why it seems that the left is always downplaying this type of news is because they are used to those types of deteriorating conditions after living in large blue areas for so long, that it just becomes normal for them. After long enough, they start viewing areas that have low crime and low filth as the oddities.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:35 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
If you head over to the City-Data Chicago Forum, crime is their sticky.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:41 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
It’s all a matter of perspective. If I see someone on a street corner yelling at imaginary people, I consider that person very dangerous, to the point of being ready to pull out a weapon for my self defense.

If I see someone passed out on the street with a fentanyl needle next to him, I consider that a breakdown in society, a guy who should not exist.

Another person might look at the crazy guy and laugh, and he might look at the drug addict and think that he has every right to check out from society.

Regardless, the thousands of people who are violently attacked throughout the US on a daily basis certainly aren’t laughing and excusing the behavior.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:52 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
On Fox News I always hear about how bad the crime is but when I talk to people that live there they say it isn’t bad at all. Yes I know it’s bad in certain area where there has always been crime but I have friends that say they feel safer in parts of the cities than they do in the suburbs. What is the truth? I mean I know there are crimes that happen in areas that you normally would feel safe (Gold Coast in Chicago, Central Park, NY) but is it as bad as they say?
It used to be all about the news reporting ISIS crimes now it’s about illegals.

Well, Fox News actually interviews the people being affected. Chicago Blacks are tired of the Migrants and I have watched the many interviews. I do NOT blame them. Migrants are also stealing and creating crime in those areas. Fox News reports and we decide what is the truth. I am a news junkie and appreciate Fox in NY and in Los Angeles for speaking the truth about what is really going on. I use to be a big CNN viewer until they changed. I do not like anyone who lies. I want to know what is going on.

Out here in California - we now have people traveling from Chile on tourist visa's and targeting wealthy homes out in Irvine, CA. Crime is OUT OF HAND. I keep up on local and national news. I am also 70 yrs old and care about what is going on today. Suspects from Venezuela are also creating mayhem - stealing. Close the borders! Enough is enough. A community not far from us was targeted- 35 cars were broken into in one night. Home burglaries are a huge problem in this same community.

Let me say, we know many who want to come to America are good people but there are some bad people coming over the borders to cause mayhem - to steal what they can.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:55 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Yep, if I ever went to NYC, I'd never step foot on a subway.
Same here - even in Los Angeles our Metro's are not that safe. I would not ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies