Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 12:09 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The reason people don't run their cars into trees at 75 miles per hour on purpose is the consequences are dire. Make the consequence of gun crimes dire and watch what happens. Practically everyone arrested for gun crimes has been arrested before on a gun crime. That's why there is always the additional charge of felon in possession of a gun.
^^THis. Remember the guy that went on the facebook live shooting spree in Memphis? He'd been out of prison after serving 18mos. for shooting a guy in the head.

The problem however is that most of the shootings in urban areas are gang\drug related and they recruit shooters that are 13-14 or even younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 12:09 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
...And what, in his view, do white Americans owe black Americans? Woodson’s reply is emphatic. “Nothing. As Jason Riley said, ‘My only prayer is they stop trying to help us.’
The racial realignment is a humiliation for white liberals
Quote:
...the Left’s extravagant commitment to radical racial politics such as Ibram X. Kendi’s vision of “antiracism,” it is impossible to overstate how humiliating these surveys are. White liberals have somehow managed to repel the very people with whom they desperately sought allegiance.

..Democrats deserve the lion’s share of credit for driving away their own base.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/r...hite-liberals/

Old 03-25-2024, 12:13 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The reason people don't run their cars into trees at 75 miles per hour on purpose is the consequences are dire. Make the consequence of gun crimes dire and watch what happens. Practically everyone arrested for gun crimes has been arrested before on a gun crime. That's why there is always the additional charge of felon in possession of a gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^THis. Remember the guy that went on the facebook live shooting spree in Memphis? He'd been out of prison after serving 18mos. for shooting a guy in the head.

The problem however is that most of the shootings in urban areas are gang\drug related and they recruit shooters that are 13-14 or even younger.
Couldn't agree more. There is example, after example, after example of reduced sentences, or plea deals , etc...that either don't get the point across to the criminals, and or, don't keep them behind bars.

Our judicial system needs a complete reboot.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:30 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
........I don't think guns are the issue, I think we need more fathers in the home.

I would like to say, DUH!, but unfortunately, there are too many people who don't see it this way.

He speaks the truth, and it's hard to argue with him.

How do we fix this? How do we get more fathers in the home?
Okay, I bite, on a number of points. First of all, I can't see the video, so who is saying what and further, who are they to begin with?

Secondly, what does "more fathers in the home" mean? Like what my Father was of got us up at 5ish for morning PT, then breakfast, he goes off to work, comes home at 6 for dinner and activities (no TV during the school week)?

Or does more Fathers in the home means......a dad who doesn't do a paying job and at best, is Mr. Mom but.....could be a deadbeat?

Old 03-25-2024, 02:14 PM

134 posts, read 49,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've seen all kinds of studies that say AA men that are raised by Fathers have much better outcomes than those raised by a single mother. But if the Father has left, what choice does the mother have?
Doesn't take a genius to figure out that having a two parent home usually translates to a higher household income than a single parent home. Money is the real problem and always has been.

Like the poster above me seems to suggest, having a father in the home doesn't amount to much if he isn't a good dad. It at most guarantees a bit more comfort for the child who will then be less likely to have to resort to a life of crime.

Our country has much bigger problems than fatherless homes.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:17 PM

31,013 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've seen all kinds of studies that say AA men that are raised by Fathers have much better outcomes than those raised by a single mother. But if the Father has left, what choice does the mother have?
The prisons are full of Fatherless Felons. Most all regardless of race. Only problem is you can't legislate Marriage!

Old 03-26-2024, 03:10 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The prisons are full of Fatherless Felons. Most all regardless of race. Only problem is you can't legislate Marriage!
And most of their fathers are in prison with them and they don’t even know it lol

Old 03-26-2024, 08:17 AM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Me too.

I've scored center left many many times over the years. The left now has gone so far off the rails I don't know who those people are.

They are cultural Marxists as far as I'm concerned.
Me either

Some studies show the quickest way to poverty is being a single mother.

Looks to me like nobody is teaching young women the difference between love and lust.

But let’s add competence to father. What good will a father in the home be if he is a worthless drunk sitting on his arse all day?

Old 03-26-2024, 09:07 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Fathers are needed in the home. There is no debating that, point blank. However, within the Black American population (specifically the poorest portion of the Black population), high rates of fatherless homes and high murder rates have been taking place for nearly a century. Anyone who thinks that this is some post-1960s issue, please read Dr. E. Franklin Frazier's book, The Negro Family in the United States.

Dr. Edwin Franklin Frazier wrote that book as his dissertation in 1932. It was published as a book in 1939. And in his book, he mentioned how Black Americans had much higher rates of fatherless homes, single mother-headed homes, and higher out of wedlock birth rates than the rest of the American population. He mentioned this in the 1930s, not the 1960s. Dr. Frazier, a Black sociologist, went around and observed this for himself in Black communities. He wasn't just some arm chair scholar. He went out and did the work.

Something else. Some of the most murderous cities in the USA had historically been in the southern USA, at least in the first half of the 20th century. Memphis, Birmingham, Jacksonville (in 1926, Jacksonville had a murder rate of 76 murders per 100,000), Atlanta, etc. Those cities frequently hit the top 10 most murderous cities in America. And most of the victims were Black men.

What was driving the high out of wedlock birth rates, single motherhood, and high murder rates within the Black American population as far back as the early 20th century? That has to be answered because blaming welfare for it is just too simplistic and disingenuous.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:18 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is certainly a cultural shift. In a nut shell, it is about placing the interest of others (wife/children) above your own and a notion of deferred gratification.

We live in a society which:

1. expects immediate rewards for efforts- I was raised in an era of "deferred gratification", in which one expected years of misery before realizing significant benefit from work and effort.
2. is presented with a FLOOD of "options" as far as mates/dating. I read an analysis of that which suggested relationships are not as valued, as one perceives they can simply "get another ___" if one is not satisfied with every single aspect of a partner. Nobody is perfect- but the internet suggests to us that is not true.
3. Expectations are unrealistic. In a society, not everyone can be rich and/or good looking. Most people (by definition) gravitate to a mean and do not realize a life of wealth, fame and glamor. However, when these lives are presented to us continually through the internet, one begins to believe that such a life is obtainable and creates dissatisfaction with one's current social and/or economic situation.
4. Society celebrates a "player" mentality, in which those with the greatest number of partners/sexual conquests is viewed more favorably. I grew up in a "quality over quantity" era in which one appreciated the value of a very good relationship and the consequences of jeopardizing what you had.
5. Men now are more boys than men, despite aging. Being a man is taking responsibility for others and insuring the well being of family members. We have a society in which many men have their own interests as their main priority and do not invest time, money, and effort in the lives of others.
6. Personal communication is not as common as in the past and therefore the ability to interract with others has been diminished by social media and the reliance upon computers and phones for communication, rather than direct in person contacts. People are unable to carry on conversations for any period of time and are not skilled in the art of conversation. People LIKE when others ask about their lives and explore that in conversation.
7. Reduced emphasis on education- Students (and their parents) do not value the benefits of education as much as in the past. With society becoming more reliant upon technology, MORE EDUCATION, rather than less, will be required for anything beyond subsistence living. However, at this juncture, parents rarely read to their kids or get involved in their education.
8. The rise of the "Me" generation. I hear among younger people that they need to "take care of themselves" and take time for exercise and socializing to feel contentment. Such notions were unheard of in the past. It was recognized that socializing and exercise were/are important, but other things relating to work and family were the main priority.

....................... Our culture is changing, and not for the better. Changing the trajectory of a society starts at home, as the only thing in life you can generally change are those things within arm's reach.
Outstanding post, very much agreed. We have to figure out a way to get out of this cultural tailspin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies