Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2024, 08:27 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
All agreed, and can you elaborate on the bolded? I assume you're talking about AP exams?
No, mainly the ACT/SAT, but the AP exams have also been made easier over time.

And my axe grind is this - in the 1970s-80s, the average public school GPA:ACT/SAT score ratio was higher than it is now.

By this I mean, if you had a 3.5 GPA in 1980, chances are good that the ACT was 26+ (of 36 max) and the SAT was like 1200+ (of 1600 max). In the last 10-12 years, I have tutored entirely too many 4.0 students with 17-19 ACT scores and 750-900 SAT scores. Those tests have both become easier over time, but receive increasing criticism every year for being "culturally biased" or "unfair measures of subject mastery" or whatever in an effort to shift blame away from the educational system for declining scores in the era of obvious grade inflation and "everyone graduates no matter what" meritorious advancement based on age and nothing else.

On this forum, in discussions with parents, teachers and random other people, I'd say the "school is hard and tests are unfair" crowd outnumbers traditional "subject mastery rules" folks by at least 20 to 1. That sad fact of our culture is EXACTLY why our educational system is rotten to its core, because we have all decided as a culture that school is hard, expectations are unfair, subject mastery is cruel and unusual punishment, etc.

The ACT/SAT are just symptoms, but since I tutor those, I see that particular symptom more than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 08:57 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
No, mainly the ACT/SAT, but the AP exams have also been made easier over time.

And my axe grind is this - in the 1970s-80s, the average public school GPA:ACT/SAT score ratio was higher than it is now.

By this I mean, if you had a 3.5 GPA in 1980, chances are good that the ACT was 26+ (of 36 max) and the SAT was like 1200+ (of 1600 max). In the last 10-12 years, I have tutored entirely too many 4.0 students with 17-19 ACT scores and 750-900 SAT scores. Those tests have both become easier over time, but receive increasing criticism every year for being "culturally biased" or "unfair measures of subject mastery" or whatever in an effort to shift blame away from the educational system for declining scores in the era of obvious grade inflation and "everyone graduates no matter what" meritorious advancement based on age and nothing else.

On this forum, in discussions with parents, teachers and random other people, I'd say the "school is hard and tests are unfair" crowd outnumbers traditional "subject mastery rules" folks by at least 20 to 1. That sad fact of our culture is EXACTLY why our educational system is rotten to its core, because we have all decided as a culture that school is hard, expectations are unfair, subject mastery is cruel and unusual punishment, etc.

The ACT/SAT are just symptoms, but since I tutor those, I see that particular symptom more than most.
General thoughts.

1. I don't have any real issue(s) with SAT and ACT scores being re-centered over time. At the crotch of the matter admissions offices need to compare college leaning HS Jr.s and Sr.s against age peers. Comparing little Jimmy graduating in 2024 with some rando who graduated in 1971 is less important - although generally doable. Also.....for good or for bad the SAT used to be much more of an IQ proxy than today. Early SAT tests were in fact IQ tests.

2. Your points about high school grade inflation are right on the money. The ACT people issued an excellent data driven report about HS grade inflation a couple of years ago. I'll try to find it.

2.1. People running down SAT and ACT as being culturally biased are full of beans and everyone with a shred of contextual understanding and honesty acknowledges that while no test is culturally perfect claims that educational minorities are cheated out of meaningful points is nonsense.

3. A buddy was the chief diversity officer at a big midwestern university for a long time. This guy made the point years ago that applicants with very high GPA and low test score were a red flag.

4. Broadly speaking, it appears we've become so rich, fat and lazy that we've lost our ability to scramble or to expect much from our kids. As examples we don't produce enough STEM ready HS-then-college grads to ultimately fill out medical school residencies. So we import 28% of our doctors and around 35% of our medical researchers.

It's an appalling failure and soft on education parents a complaint left leaning press and equity-police are all to blame.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:11 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
The quality of public education in the US varies WILDLY across the country.

Most of the worst ones are in areas where most of the best students are skimmed off for magnet schools or the parents do whatever is in their power to educate them elsewhere.

My kids went to great public schools, tested well, got great STEM degrees etc. etc.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:12 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. I don't have any real issue(s) with SAT and ACT scores being re-centered over time. At the crotch of the matter admissions offices need to compare college leaning HS Jr.s and Sr.s against age peers. Comparing little Jimmy graduating in 2024 with some rando who graduated in 1971 is less important - although generally doable. Also.....for good or for bad the SAT used to be much more of an IQ proxy than today. Early SAT tests were in fact IQ tests.
I wasn't suggesting we rate the 2024 student against the 1974 student on their SAT. I was simply making the comparison that the GPA:SAT ratio was getting observably worse, which is not an indictment of the student, but rather an indictment on the lie that is the modern education system where you can trip and fall over a 4.0 high school GPA, even though your reading, English and math skills are ~8th grade average.
Quote:
2. Your points about high school grade inflation are right on the money. The ACT people issued an excellent data driven report about HS grade inflation a couple of years ago. I'll try to find it.
I'd like to see the ACT report. I have been raging against this machine for the longest time. LOL.
Quote:
2.1. People running down SAT and ACT as being culturally biased are full of beans and everyone with a shred of contextual understanding and honesty acknowledges that while no test is culturally perfect claims that educational minorities are cheated out of meaningful points is nonsense.
Thing is, from the "ACT/SAT are culturally biased" as the excuse for falling board scores, we get the "math/science/English/grammar is racist" excuse for falling state requirement scores. The refrain goes "change the test!!" instead of "teach the student!!"

Again, I rage against the machine.
Quote:
3. A buddy was the chief diversity officer at a big midwestern university for a long time. This guy made the point years ago that applicants with very high GPA and low test score were a red flag.
Yup. Such a clear indicator of grade inflation and easy curricula, and also of students being in no way prepared for college.
Quote:
4. Broadly speaking, it appears we've become so rich, fat and lazy that we've lost our ability to scramble or to expect much from our kids. As examples we don't produce enough STEM ready HS-then-college grads to ultimately fill out medical school residencies. So we import 28% of our doctors and around 35% of our medical researchers.
And engineers, scientists, etc. If the school behind any occupational specialty is hard, look for 25-40% immigrant populations in those specialties. We suck at educating STEM. Like galactic levels of suck.
Quote:
It's an appalling failure and soft on education parents a complaint left leaning press and equity-police are all to blame.
100% this. Soft on education is a cultural rot that infects every other aspect of American decline, and will later be described as historians cataloging the fall of our empire as one of the top 3 reasons said fall was both obvious and inevitable.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The quality of public education in the US varies WILDLY across the country.

Most of the worst ones are in areas where most of the best students are skimmed off for magnet schools or the parents do whatever is in their power to educate them elsewhere.

My kids went to great public schools, tested well, got great STEM degrees etc. etc.
Excellent observation.

I'm sitting in a hotel lobby in North Dallas. 10-12 miles south sits a collection of some of the worst public high schools in the nation. Within a ~3 miles circle an amazing collection of private schools. And 10-12 miles north some of the best public schools in the country.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I wasn't suggesting we rate the 2024 student against the 1974 student on their SAT. I was simply making the comparison that the GPA:SAT ratio was getting observably worse, which is not an indictment of the student, but rather an indictment on the lie that is the modern education system where you can trip and fall over a 4.0 high school GPA, even though your reading, English and math skills are ~8th grade average.

I'd like to see the ACT report. I have been raging against this machine for the longest time. LOL.

Thing is, from the "ACT/SAT are culturally biased" as the excuse for falling board scores, we get the "math/science/English/grammar is racist" excuse for falling state requirement scores. The refrain goes "change the test!!" instead of "teach the student!!"

Again, I rage against the machine.

Yup. Such a clear indicator of grade inflation and easy curricula, and also of students being in no way prepared for college.

And engineers, scientists, etc. If the school behind any occupational specialty is hard, look for 25-40% immigrant populations in those specialties. We suck at educating STEM. Like galactic levels of suck.

100% this. Soft on education is a cultural rot that infects every other aspect of American decline, and will later be described as historians cataloging the fall of our empire as one of the top 3 reasons said fall was both obvious and inevitable.

Here's the summation.....and keep in mind the ACT people released a report around 2005 noting previous grade inflation.
https://leadershipblog.act.org/2022/...st-decade.html

As noted in the education forum more and more colleges are again requiring SAT and ACT as grades simply do not convey adequate resolution for admission and placement.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:33 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Importing low IQ people into the US and the destruction of the nuclear family.

But at least all of our billionaires are very happy about their massive increase in wealth. Not to mention, they have plenty of servants to satisfy anything they want.
We have plenty of homegrown low IQ people.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:56 AM

45,370 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Excellent observation.

I'm sitting in a hotel lobby in North Dallas. 10-12 miles south sits a collection of some of the worst public high schools in the nation. Within a ~3 miles circle an amazing collection of private schools. And 10-12 miles north some of the best public schools in the country.
That's the way it is with any statement. It's a blanket but doesn't get down to the granular level or disaggregate any data.

Someone says this or that state has a high illiteracy/teen pregnancy rate/murder rate/whatever and it's never stated that well, those issues are in one or another population cohort or that one large city skews the numbers for the entire state.

An example would be my state, Maryland, is often listed as one of the most dangerous states or has one of the highest incidences of STDs in the US, usually Top 10 or 12 for both. What isn't mentioned is that the state has a relatively small population and those negative numbers are driven by just two large jurisdictions plus one smaller one. In most of the rest of the state most jurisdictions will go years between having a murder and have a handful of recorded STD cases a year.

It's the same with education, one or two large systems drag the numbers down for the entire state in much of the country.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Liberalism.

Teachers are important to society, but not when many of them are teaching worthless subjects. Math, reading, writing, hisotry, and PE. That's it, that's all you need. Gender studies, sociology, philosophy, kinesiology, and many other silly subjects created by woke folks just doesn't work.

When I got my degree I immediately forgot 99% of what I learned because a lot of it were just mandatory electives so someone could be gainfully employed.
Socrates was so woke that he was forced to drink poison by those he offended.

I spent only my own money on my college studies. I still remember much of what I learned because I wanted to get what I paid for--an education. Gainful employment was what I wanted along with my education, but my primary reason for becoming educated was to increase my life's knowledge and skills.

Too bad you didn't choose to learn something you would want to know for your whole life. I hope you love your employment.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:16 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
What, in your opinion, is the reason for the the disaster the U.S. Educational system has become?
It's a drain on taxpayers, run by greedy union leaders, and teaches woke fantasies, not facts.

The most important education is the one you lead yourself. In addition to the woke garbage, school has always been terrible at helping kids find direction or focus in their lives. Biggest joke in my high school, as it was in others, was the guidance counselor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies