Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 06:37 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

I started a thread similar to this a few years ago. It is an interesting discussion:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...e-illegal.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 07:04 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Language barrier, economic difficulties and unstable lifestyle… all contribute to poor performance at school.

This is from a local elementary school in a middle class neighborhood.
The classrooms are severely impacted.
Just another reason to send your kids to private schools.

The dems are ruining the public education system and insuring a cohort of idiots who are easy to control.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:10 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Just another reason to send your kids to private schools.
Most private schools in my area cost $20,000-$40,000 per year for each student.

If you have two or three kids, your heart better be in good condition to face that onslaught.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Big shortage of bilingual teachers - 25% of school kids are immigrants

They are making up for the I million plus American students that left the system

The new face of America
Not bilingual, Spanish speaking.

I deal with new citizens every day in my job. The countries represented span the globe - Congo, Mexico, China, Vietnam, Nepal, Egypt, India, Afghanistan, to name a few. With RARE exception, the only parents and children that do not speak English are the Spanish speakers. It may be broken. It may be heavily accented. But other than Spanish speakers, the other immigrants can communicate, even if they've only been in this country a few years. And if they struggle to understand, their kids translate for them, being fluent in both languages.

Contrast that with the Spanish speakers. Parents rarely, if ever, speak English. The kids might, but often they are simply anchor babies that were birthed on US soil, then taken straight to Mexico to live out their childhood, only to return at age 18 to act as a means for entry for their family. I can't tell you how many US born teenagers and young adults that can't speak a word of English.

Why? Because we've catered to Spanish speakers in this country. You know, press "one" for Spanish. I answer call after call at my job, and multiple times a day I hear "speak-a Spanish?" When I say no, they hang up. I have NEVER ONCE answered the phone to hear "speak French? Speak Arabic? Speak Vietnamese?"

Are those bilingual teachers that folks demand speak a language other than Spanish? Doubtful. Yet those kids from non-Spanish speaking countries manage to master the English language without bilingual teachers. By all means, speak your language at home. That's such a blessing to be bilingual, but stop demanding that the United States give immigrants a pass on assimilating.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:26 AM

21,930 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Another website had a story about public schools. Comments were removed. Only two comments are left.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:37 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
The cost of illegal immigration is much much more than the financial burder, and should be even more concerning

Old 03-29-2024, 08:32 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not bilingual, Spanish speaking.

I deal with new citizens every day in my job. The countries represented span the globe - Congo, Mexico, China, Vietnam, Nepal, Egypt, India, Afghanistan, to name a few. With RARE exception, the only parents and children that do not speak English are the Spanish speakers. It may be broken. It may be heavily accented. But other than Spanish speakers, the other immigrants can communicate, even if they've only been in this country a few years. And if they struggle to understand, their kids translate for them, being fluent in both languages.

Contrast that with the Spanish speakers. Parents rarely, if ever, speak English. The kids might, but often they are simply anchor babies that were birthed on US soil, then taken straight to Mexico to live out their childhood, only to return at age 18 to act as a means for entry for their family. I can't tell you how many US born teenagers and young adults that can't speak a word of English.

Why? Because we've catered to Spanish speakers in this country. You know, press "one" for Spanish. I answer call after call at my job, and multiple times a day I hear "speak-a Spanish?" When I say no, they hang up. I have NEVER ONCE answered the phone to hear "speak French? Speak Arabic? Speak Vietnamese?"

Are those bilingual teachers that folks demand speak a language other than Spanish? Doubtful. Yet those kids from non-Spanish speaking countries manage to master the English language without bilingual teachers. By all means, speak your language at home. That's such a blessing to be bilingual, but stop demanding that the United States give immigrants a pass on assimilating.
I could't agree with you more. It's a tribal culture and even when migrating to our country illegally most Spanish speakers do not adopt English as their primary language of usage out in public. As you said, I don't care what language they speak at home but as the saying goes "when in Rome do as the Romans do" as it is out of respect for the main society. Part of the problem is what you said they are pandered to in Spanish everywhere.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:41 AM

21,930 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I could't agree with you more. It's a tribal culture and even when migrating to our country illegally most Spanish speakers do not adopt English as their primary language of usage out in public. As you said, I don't care what language they speak at home but as the saying goes "when in Rome do as the Romans do" as it is out of respect for the main society. Part of the problem is what you said they are pandered to in Spanish everywhere.
I have said it for years. Trump should have declared English the official language.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:42 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
How can they be worse than the single parent households we have currently destroying the country?

Old 03-29-2024, 08:57 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have said it for years. Trump should have declared English the official language.
I think it has to go through congress and the Democrats would never go along with it as they like to pander to minorities that don't speak English as their native language. If I remember correctly there was a bill in congress years ago to make English our official language but some Democrat said it was already our de facto language so there was no need to make it official. Yeah, right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies