Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 10:34 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
So, not being straight makes someone confused about their identity ?

Who knew ?

LGBTQ people are Two times more likely to use mental health services than straight people:

https://mhanational.org/issues/lgbtq...-mental-health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 10:38 AM

13,692 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
needing more money may be a factor but I suspect an equal share is the fact that 65 today isnt the same as it was in 1970.

you were OLD and close to the end of life at 65 in 1970. Now? 65 may not be spring chicken but it certainly isnt old.

And the best way for a 65 year old to get old and die is to be isolated from society. simple fact is, we have fewer places where older people come in contact with the rest of the world. people don't go to church any longer. There aren't as many/active civic organizations that once filled that void and thus people in that age range know they need to be engaged.

Go to work. Be productive until you really need to stop.
Those I've spoken with aren't working because they need to do something. They are working because they need the extra income. Fry's food store it's the same thing. Older workers are everywhere.

The older fellow who collects the shopping carts in the parking lot is interesting. He studied Japanese in college and sometimes practice what he remembers speaking with my wife.

Now, I've not asked him directly but suspect he's not collecting shopping carts so he can get out of the house. I suspect he's doing it for the paycheck.

I'm 66 and agree getting out of the house is important but more important is having enough money to pay the bills.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:43 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Those who start young(er) and save what they can, as they can, and eventually invest, and consider a future decades away, where they don't work for a paycheck anymore, tend to do OK if they practice those principles of prioritizing savings vs spending every dollar that comes in.

The republican/conservative core foundation of, "pick yourself up by your own bootstraps," has been around for as long as I can remember. I was taught that lesson early in life, by 2 democrat parents who were more fiscally conservative. I often heard as a kid, "You want something? Save your money!"

Old 03-30-2024, 10:49 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
CLIFF's NOTES: The OP's link says its inflation and/or boredom.

Glad, we have plenty of $'s, & enough interests to keep us busy...most of the time.

I still have some time to fill, so working on that.

I work an hour or two a day, when I want to, to keep my low 6-figures rolling in.

My wife travels, but I dont want to get on planes, or spend hours driving either. The Alaska cruise was nice, but I had to fly to/from Seattle to do that...ugh. Been there, done that...did Hawaii too, and Europe, & a few other places.

I feel bad for the 65+'er who work because they need the $. They must have made bad decisions for a long time. A few were struck by bad luck too.

If they are working to stay busy, good for them.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:52 AM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
needing more money may be a factor but I suspect an equal share is the fact that 65 today isnt the same as it was in 1970.

you were OLD and close to the end of life at 65 in 1970. Now? 65 may not be spring chicken but it certainly isnt old.

And the best way for a 65 year old to get old and die is to be isolated from society. simple fact is, we have fewer places where older people come in contact with the rest of the world. people don't go to church any longer. There aren't as many/active civic organizations that once filled that void and thus people in that age range know they need to be engaged.

Go to work. Be productive until you really need to stop.
A lot of 65 year olds have beat up bodies that are limited or in pain. You don't need to be bedridden for work to be difficult.

I agree with you that somewhat more people over 65 are still capable of working, especially as many have had lifetime office jobs, rather than being ditch diggers or on an assembly line. I will give you that, but many simply can't stand on their feet all day or lift or bend or function with the pain. Many of my office colleagues had those height-adjustable computer stands because their back or joint issues made it hard for them to either sit all day or stand all day. They had to regularly change positions to fight the pain.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:56 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times
This is why you shouldn’t have kids. You can retire early. People are now taking care of their kids forever even into adulthood. All the people are now taking care of their kids and their kids have to return to work Yada Yada

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-30-2024 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-30-2024, 11:26 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,873 times
Labor Force participation for people 55 and over is the lowest it's been in 15 years. Data is not showing what OP is claiming. See chart below.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS11324230

Old 03-30-2024, 12:07 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Our house insurance has doubled in the last 5 years. With that and groceries tripling in price, My wood shop has reopened.

Old 03-30-2024, 12:30 PM

992 posts, read 515,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Labor Force participation for people 55 and over is the lowest it's been in 15 years. Data is not showing what OP is claiming. See chart below.

Notice that huge drop in 55+ employment starting in 2020? The Plandemic forced a lot of seniors out of work, many of whom are likely unemployable due to age/or ability post 2022....

That still doesnt fly in the face of many seniors have to go back to work since then.........

Old 03-30-2024, 01:02 PM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post

Sensationalistic title by MSN.

The article tells the story.

"However, the newest trend is "unretiring", with as many as 20% of older workers rejoining the labor market in their 60's and 70s".

The above is the sloppy writing so common today to 20 year old hack journalist in the major news bodies who can barely write a coherent sentence.

The line reads if 20% of all those in their 60s and 70s have recently rejoined the workforce. I think what they meant to write is that 20% of returning workers who had prvoiusly dropped out of the workforce, are in their 60s and 70s.

The article claims "millions of retirees like Roach are now working again..."

I don't see any substantiation for the wild claim. It is bad research by MSN. It is bad writing by their barely literate hack journalist-wanna-be.

Meanwile, the claim that many more elderly are working today than was the case in the 1980s, is not untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies