Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 01:28 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

Balkanization is a means to an end for the left. "Divide and conquer" has been an instrument of would-be dictators throughout time. It is a great way to sow discord and distrust among people. Get them fighting amongst themselves to the point that they are no longer interested in fighting the oppressive dictator.

A tried and true strategy, it is working like a charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 02:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
These are parties that take place before the actual commencement ceremonies. These are not graduation ceremonies. There is a huge difference. Should the engineering school not have its own celebration? Or the French Club? Or the marching band? What if veterans or black students also want their own celebration?

Clearly, jumping to erroneous and illogical conclusions is in your lexicon.
Ask yourself if white students wanting their own celebration is acceptable?

You are touting segregation. Yes, quasi-voluntary rather than state-enforced, but segregation none the less.

Segregation is immoral, illegal, and more than a bit disgusting.

And that is not an erroneous or illogical conclusion. That's is something you are touting. You are touting Segregation.

Snarky comments do not disguise your character: You are the ideological heir to Orvile Faubus. You can preen all you want, but don't be surprised when the rest of us call out your despicable characteristics.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:28 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...ass-sexuality/

How shocking that another elite liberal school is obsessed with labels, social constructs, and division. I don’t see the “white” graduation, and I wonder why.
This is a half truth.
I just read Harvard's graduation schedule of their website after Googling "harvard graduation".

According to their own website, there will be one central commencement in Harvard Square, the 300-year-old graduation site. During that commencement, all the graduates will be presented to their teachers and the audience, special awards will be announced and presented.
After the usual speeches are given by staff and graduates, the central commencement ceremonies end in the traditional fashion.

...and then the actual diplomas are given in small-group ceremonies in the various fraternity houses and on-campus housing, along with the places where all the other student groups meet.

There's no explanation on the website as to why the diplomas aren't handed out during the central ceremony, but after attending a few college graduations, I'm sure this was done to speed all the commencement prodeedings up.

For an international university like Harvard, with graduates coming from all corners of the world, there will be air flights scheduled that cannot be missed for them and their families, and many other time sensitive functions that are critical.

Handing the diplomas out to the graduates only takes a couple of minutes for each, but those minutes add up to hours after the collective time that's take to give all the speeches, name the names, and recognize all the people.

In smaller groups, the diplomas take far less time to hand out. Parents have more time to catch the airplane home. More time to celebrate for everyone. Simple solution to a simple problem.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:31 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
According to their own website, there will be one central commencement in Harvard Square, the 300-year-old graduation site. During that commencement, all the graduates will be presented to their teachers and the audience, special awards will be announced and presented.
After the usual speeches are given by staff and graduates, the central commencement ceremonies end in the traditional fashion.

...and then the actual diplomas are given in small-group ceremonies in the various fraternity houses and on-campus housing, along with the places where all the other student groups meet.

Seems simple enough.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:34 PM

41,946 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You are touting Segregation.
Yes, because I truly believe that veterans should be segregated from the rest of the student body.

These celebrations are not mandatory to attend, nor are people not in any of the 'affinity' groups prohibited from attending the party. Anyone who registers can attend. And a few days afterward, everyone gets together for commencement and their diplomas. Yay.

These celebrations are not "graduation ceremonies" as claimed in the OP's title.

Isn't it funny what gets people's bloomers in a twist these days ... although if anyone bothered to read the links provided, they'd know better.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:24 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Yes, because I truly believe that veterans should be segregated from the rest of the student body.

These celebrations are not mandatory to attend, nor are people not in any of the 'affinity' groups prohibited from attending the party. Anyone who registers can attend. And a few days afterward, everyone gets together for commencement and their diplomas. Yay.

These celebrations are not "graduation ceremonies" as claimed in the OP's title.

Isn't it funny what gets people's bloomers in a twist these days ... although if anyone bothered to read the links provided, they'd know better.
Yup.
The diploma-centered activities haven't been a big deal for ages in commencement ceremonies.

60 years ago when I graduated High School, I was handed a rolled sheet of blank paper tied with a ribbon when the Principal turned the tassel on my cap to the other side.

I received my diploma in the mail a few days later, just as the rest of my class got theirs.

Blank paper served for the symbol, but the real diplomas were too expensive to waste on last-semester dropouts, transfers and flunkouts.
So the school district waited until everyone was graduated for certain before they were given the expensive real-deal genuine diploma.

No one ever complained about that. No one outside of my immediate family ever saw mine.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:41 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Understood. But they are still university-sanctioned events that are intended for some people but not others, based solely on race. In my book that is discriminatory.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:11 PM

41,946 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Understood. But they are still university-sanctioned events that are intended for some people but not others, based solely on race. In my book that is discriminatory.
They are not based solely on race; there are celebrations for veterans, disabled students, Jewish students, first-generation college students. Any student or family member/friend of a student can attend any of these celebrations; therefore, they are not excluding anyone.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:09 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
They are not based solely on race; there are celebrations for veterans, disabled students, Jewish students, first-generation college students. Any student or family member/friend of a student can attend any of these celebrations; therefore, they are not excluding anyone.
The whole point of having these special celebrations, as far as I can tell, is so that people who are similar to each other can celebrate together. And that's fine. What's not fine is holding ceremonies for black and Hispanic and Asian students but not for white students. Why is it somehow considered wrong if white people want to celebrate with other white people?

Old 04-05-2024, 07:21 PM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
We need to sanitize our learning institutions and start over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies