Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 11:51 AM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What does that have to do with the subject? A hijab doesn't cover a women's face.

My hair is a different color now than it is on either my driver's license or my passport, and neither of them match each other, either. As long as the face is clear in the photo, what difference does it make?

I'll explain to you "what difference is," since you seem to not understand it.

Look at the pictures of hijabs pls, and how they frame the face.

This very same face might not be easily recognizable for the public if it's framed by hair instead, if the pics are released to the public if situation arises.

( Or, in fact, to the law enforcement agencies themselves.)
That's why they make EVERYONE remove their headgear when people are booked.

The LAW OF THE LAND as I've said - no whats ifs or buts.

This is the issue of public safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 11:53 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I'll explain to you "what difference is," since you seem to not understand it.

Look at the pictures of hijabs pls, and how they frame the face.

This very same face might not be easily recognizable for the public if it's framed by hair instead, if the pics are released to the public if situation arises.

( Or, in fact, to the law enforcement agencies themselves.)
That's why they make EVERYONE remove their headgear when people are booked.

The LAW OF THE LAND as I've said - no whats ifs or buts.

This is the issue of public safety.
But if they have a religious obligation to wear a hijab in public, that is what they looks like in public. As you say yourself they would look different than a picture with their hair framing the face instead.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:59 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Hmm, I should have read the article first. This lawsuit goes back to before 2020, when it became OK for religious persons to leave their head coverings on for photos, and that includes sheitls, hijabs, Sikh turbans, and so forth.

Police ARE allowed to search such coverings for weapons and contraband, which seems logical. There are plenty of policewomen who could do the searches on women with hijabs out of the view of men.

I still think the amount of money of the settlement is stupid, and I hope it's appealed and negotiated down.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:00 PM

992 posts, read 515,272 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with the subject? A hijab doesn't cover a women's face.

My hair is a different color now than it is on either my driver's license or my passport, and neither of them match each other, either. As long as the face is clear in the photo, what difference does it make?
Agree completely.

The settlement is really stupid though, way too much.

I recall a few years back Maryland (I believe) struggled with activist muslim women who wanted niqabs to be worn (only eyes exposed) for driver license photos. Vice simply refusing to issue the DL to the women, the state caved.

The purpose of the photo is to positively match ID to person.

My take is the entire religious clothing ban is poorly thought out, just like some red cities banning the droopy pants fad. Too much govt being used. These kind of things make my libertarian side itch.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:01 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
But if they have a religious obligation to wear a hijab in public, that is what they looks like in public. As you say yourself they would look different than a picture with their hair framing the face instead.

Supposedly.

Unless they decide to look differently, "in the name of higher purpose," or any other mundane reason.
Why were they in jail in the first place?
As I've said - the LAW OF THE LAND is the LAW OF THE LAND ( USA that is,) where they decided to reside.
If they don't like these laws, they need to live in the countries where the laws support THEIR beliefs.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:02 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
But if they have a religious obligation to wear a hijab in public, that is what they looks like in public.
nothing is preventing someone from claiming such a religious obligation now, when it's photo time, then taking it off at a later point.

then that would not be what they look like in public.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:02 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Supposedly.

Unless they decide to look differently, "in the name of higher purpose," or any other mundane reason.
Why were they in jail in the first place?
As I've said - the LAW OF THE LAND is the LAW OF THE LAND ( USA that is,) where they decided to reside.
If they don't like these laws, they need to live in the countries where the laws support THEIR beliefs.
That's what I looked for in the article. Apparently the Muslim women had violated restraining orders.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:09 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times
Wonder if KKK members can use the same excuse LOL. . Oh probably not

Old 04-05-2024, 12:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
It's so ingrained in some of them, though. I was reading The Looming Tower, about the beginnings and rise of al-Qaeda. There was a bombing, and then people went to rescue the people buried in the rubble. One woman froze to death rather than let the men digging out the survivors see her hair and face.

My boss is Muslim, but she doesn't cover her hair, at least not for everyday. I attended an alumni dinner for the engineering university she went to in Pakistan, and they said a prayer before the meal. She had a scarf around her shoulders at that event that she put over her head loosely for the prayer. She was wearing more traditional clothing that night, too, a long embroidered jacket over loose pants. At work she wears suits.

But yeah, to your point, don't get your ass arrested, and you won't have a problem, will you!
I get that but there are rules that apply to everyone for some particular "venues", IDs, mugshots, and security. What you do/wear in your home or private life is your own business, but when it comes to what is expected of all of us for the safety and respect of our community should be followed regardless of religious beliefs, culture, or traditions.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Again, it's an obligation, not a rule. No reason that they would not have it off in public. Its a personal choice.

Isnt obeying the law a duty of Muslims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies