Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 06:49 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Prager U? Which, apparently, isn't a university?
I really don't care what the source is if the points are valid.

Most people don't know much about history and if they do, especially younger people, have been influenced by short youtube videos that are generally deceptive and leave out a lot of context.

A lot of pinheads for example thing that slavery was brought to the Americas by the Europeans...um...no.

Sacajawea was a slave, most people don't know that. Yep, captured by another tribe and sold to the trapper Charbineau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 07:10 AM

89,057 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
The definitions I've seen of colonization require that there be an indigenous people present.
There's your mistake. That isn't always true. All that is required is that settlements be established. That's why scientists also talk about colonizing the Moon at some future point.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:54 AM

672 posts, read 503,772 times
Depends. I mean I understand why it a controversial subject, and the negative perception it brings, etc. but some of these countries were better off under European rule or protection.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:36 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
The definitions I've seen of colonization require that there be an indigenous people present. If there aren't any natives to lord it over, I think that means that there can't be colonization. The term then would be pioneering, or something similar.

Those definitions also invoke citizens & nation. The Native Peoples likely thought of themselves as members of a tribe. I'm not sure that they had the concept of nation, except probably thinking of themselves as the people - that seems to be a standard pattern.

The same definitions that consider nation also discuss political control of an area - & again, I don't think that the Native Peoples had a political understanding of their conquest of the Western Hemisphere.
Native peoples? Who were they when migration began here from Asia, Europe, etc.?

Old 04-24-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Depends. I mean I understand why it a controversial subject, and the negative perception it brings, etc. but some of these countries were better off under European rule or protection.
Most people don't realize that 90% of England was "colonized" by the Romans. They have zero clue about the the other half dozen invasions of the natives there by mainland Europe.

Ask them what Hadrians wall is....they'll give you a blank stare while lecturing your about oppression.

Sad to see people so uneducated with such strong beliefs. Like religious zealots.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:25 PM

I'm pretty tired of the *magical indian* narrative that they just live in nature and are victims.

I grow tired of base lies and ignorance.

Doesn't mean I like what happens when civilizations crash but wow...once you educate yourself....it's all a BS game of victimization.

Old 04-24-2024, 09:01 PM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Agreed. My people were Vikings. Feeling guilty for things my ancestors did is stupid. Letting others MAKE you feel guilty for things your ancestors did is stupid.

This country is falling apart, and if (or when) it all begins burning down to the ground, all the discussions that take up so much of our time about trans and colonization and carbon emissions and toxic white males and pregnant people and ALL the rest of the crazy making, won't mean sh*t.

Keep your eye on the big picture and don't let them distract you with all the noise.
I don’t get this feeling guilty about past generations. I’m sure I’d have much to bow my head down to, with my ancestors. However, governments are responsible for laws created and not corrected that are against basic human rights. That’s not individuals unless they ruled over others to commit these acts.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:15 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Prager U? Which, apparently, isn't a university?
I try to be respectful of all views, be they comport with mine, somewhere in the middle, or even those which are 180 opposite, to find some common ground.
However, to dismiss the message, because of the messenger, is not a valid point of view.

Old 04-25-2024, 04:21 AM

7,375 posts, read 3,536,587 times
I rather live in a tent made of animal hide and be smoking a trout on a stick. It’s better for climate change but not good for the animal rights crowd who would probably end up with their heads on a stick instead of the trout

Old 04-25-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
However, governments are responsible for laws created and not corrected that are against basic human rights.

In the US we created a lot of those laws but then unequally applied them.

You know wrist slaps for some, arrest for others, profiling, unequal sentencing and so forth all well stated complaints during 2020 protests.

Kinda ironic that we are seeing high profile examples of that here in 2024 it's a rather interesting juxtaposition if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies