Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should hoaxing hate/racist crimes be a hate crime?
Yes, charge them with a hate crime as it breeds division 43 95.56%
Not sure 1 2.22%
No, it's not really a hate crime 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times

Advertisements

This is why I'm sooooo afraid of AI being used like this. ANYONE can ruin your life at anytime! People are not seeing the big picture here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, then change the term to "fomenting civil unrest".

Because if someone goes down to the local synagogue and draws swazticas all over it, it should carry a heavier penalty than mere vandalism imo.

A lot of the objection to hate crime laws that I have seen are of the nature where they mistakenly think they are only applied to white people which is absolutely not the case.
'Intimidation' with vandalism is more applicable in your example

Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

30,383 posts, read 19,184,321 times
99% of "hate crimes" against blacks are hoaxes, you should start with that as an assumption. Jussie was on the front end of this new trend.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

1,084 posts, read 561,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Two thoughts:

Abraham Lincoln once said something along the lines of the best way to get rid of a bad law is to enforce it strictly.

If it's a crime to intimidate based on race, this athletic director clearly did that. Why should the law not apply to him simply because he was black and pulling a hoax? If he was white he'd be charged with it.
I do not see how it can be said that the black employee pulled this stunt primarily due to his loathing of white people. I dont see it. Did he portray the principle as a racist? Yes, that part of it is obvious.

But show us on the DEI doll where the idiot was motivated by the principles race. Did this idiot admit he hates the principle because he hates whitey? No? Yeah we arent quite there now with the "hate crime" angle, are we?

The existing law should apply to him, absolutely. But do these types of charges get leveled evenly? I do not believe they do, no.
The worst part though is "hate crimes" upgrades to existing crimes can and do get charged based often on only the perception of what the person is thinking,not necessarily by what they admit to.

I stand on my personal opinion that hate crimes are redundant and unnecessary.

Last edited by AZ Desert Guy; Yesterday at 09:45 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

1,084 posts, read 561,025 times
Quote:
I feel the guy should face hate crime charges.

He created and spread a rant he created about blacks and jews etc.

Just because he tried to attribute it to someone else doesn't mean he didn't do it and he caused a great deal of disruption and civil unrest including multiple threats.

Furthermore, for some of the racists in the community, they likely still think it was real.
Per the bolded, that is where this is a serious crime on its own, and should be treated thusly.

This AI stuff is creepy, and these things are going to happen more for sure.

I wouldnt have an issue with seperate enhanced charges for utilizing AI in a criminal manner at all.

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
I feel the guy should face hate crime charges.

He created and spread a rant he created about blacks and jews etc.

Just because he tried to attribute it to someone else doesn't mean he didn't do it and he caused a great deal of disruption and civil unrest including multiple threats.

Furthermore, for some of the racists in the community, they likely still think it was real.
I agree. I don't like the hate crime laws but since they are on the books this is a time it should be applied.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

26,508 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
I do not see how it can be said that the black employee pulled this stunt primarily due to his loathing of white people. I dont see it. Did he portray the principle as a racist? Yes, that part of it is obvious.

But show us on the DEI doll where the idiot was motivated by the principles race. Did this idiot admit he hates the principle because he hates whitey? No? Yeah we arent quite there now with the "hate crime" angle, are we?

The existing law should apply to him, absolutely. But do these types of charges get leveled evenly? I do not believe they do, no.
The worst part though is "hate crimes" upgrades to existing crimes can and do get charged based often on only the perception of what the person is thinking,not necessarily by what they admit to.

1. He attacked the principal based on his race for no good reason.

2. His racial attack on the principal created intimidation in the school community based on race.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

7,379 posts, read 3,539,248 times
it’s simply not possible for a marginalized group to be hateful. marginalized groups are monolithic and all think the same exact way. any action that they make is the result of oppression or discrimination by the majority of the population, and therefore, they should be celebrated for anything that they do.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

1,877 posts, read 651,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post

A corollary is an idea that is derived from a previous idea and can be executed in parallel with the previous idea.

A previous idea is that if we find race to be a critical component of a crime, we will increase the punishment for that crime.

The corollary does not have to be identical. Here, we found that race was a critical component of this crime. The black employee does not have to harbor any racial animus towards whites in general, but in specific to the white principal, he used race as a critical component of his crime against the white principal. He wanted to ATTACH racial animus to the white principal as part of the white principal's personality and character.

1st: fraud.
2nd: slander.
3rd: economic deprivation.

First, I want to negatively affect the intangible (character), then I want to negatively affect the tangible (employment).

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion ENABLED this crime. I want to smear my target as the worst kind of human being, then I want society to never employ him again.

Another corollary is the false rape charge. The woman does not have to harbor hatred towards men in general, but just hatred towards ONE MAN in specific. She smeared the man as the worst kind of man, then want society to punish the man to the best degree.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

3,227 posts, read 1,607,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This is why I'm sooooo afraid of AI being used like this. ANYONE can ruin your life at anytime! People are not seeing the big picture here!
I posted this over in the AI sub forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ai/3...generated.html

From a single still photo and a short audio sample a completely realistic video can now be generated in real time saying anything you want it to say.

Microsoft is not releasing this for now, they are keeping it private.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rese...roject/vasa-1/

“… Our method is capable of not only producing precious lip-audio synchronization, but also generating a large spectrum of expressive facial nuances and natural head motions. It can handle arbitary-length audio and stably output seamless talking face videos...”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies