Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 11:14 AM

18,186 posts, read 15,766,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Trump says he's fine with states monitoring pregnant women so they don't get abortions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ime-interview/

"I think they might do that." Trump said of a scenario that sounds like it is straight out of the dystopian novel "The Handmaid's Tale."

What is everyone's thoughts on this.

Do you think state governments should monitor pregnant women? And possibly punish them if they get abortions--what punishments would occur if this happened?

In my opinion, this is going in the wrong direction for this country, and is taking a page out of countries that follow Islam's legal system, Sharia law.

He's a flip-flopper. He doesn't personally object to abortion, never has, never will, in fact, he's pro-abortion. He's gone on record in the past about his being completely pro-choice. That said, he doesn't care about the issue since it doesn't affect him personally. If he had gotten anyone pregnant in the past and didn't want the child (from an affair or dalliance), he would have given the woman some money, paid for the abortion, and had them sign an iron-clad NDA, and that would be the end of it.

Others' rights are not his concern, whether that's individuals' rights or states or any other rights.

Anyone who chooses to believe what he says is going to have to reconcile that he changes what he says more than people change their underwear.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:14 AM

8,649 posts, read 10,181,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Saying he's fine with it might be putting words into his mouth (and isn't there enough of a word salad going on in there already?) but he certainly is fine with allowing individual states to violate a woman's privacy.

Exactly.

I'd be more focused on sticking to the topic at hand instead of attempting a pathetic deflection.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States ...

Are you saying the quote is incorrect? That he didn't say that? Here's what was published in the Time interview:

Here's what the Post published:

So where's the "twisting and altering"?

The Supreme Court did not amend the Constitution.
I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to provide such a nasty response. Maybe stick to the topic yourself.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:16 AM

11,302 posts, read 11,067,631 times
Someone could get the impression that women keeping the right to kill their babies up until the moment of birth is just about the only thing that democrats have to run on anymore.....

Old 05-01-2024, 11:25 AM

14,553 posts, read 12,214,066 times
Quote:
“It’s irrelevant whether I’m comfortable or not,” said Trump. “It’s totally irrelevant, because the states are going to make those decisions.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-fin...205641671.html

Says the guy they say wants to be a dictator.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 12,705,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are you saying the quote is incorrect? That he didn't say that? Here's what was published in the Time interview:
Here's what the Post published:
So where's the "twisting and altering"?
Where did I say he didn't say that? He said it but that is not all that he'd said, and WaPo is using a sound bite as red meat to the ignorant. I posted a link to the transcript of the very interview, yet you're using media driven sound bites to debate what I'd said.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:27 AM

13,903 posts, read 8,092,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A little late to be careful after he bragged about his role in overturning RvW. The Florida 6-week abortion ban starts today, still waiting for an overturn of AZ 1864 ban, states rights is working out just fine. I see abortion clinics in VA are ramping up for an influx from Fl.

Biden has plenty to run on, what will Trump run on,abortion bans?
The fact many Americans view his time in office more favorably than they do Biden's.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/66691881-post8.html

Old 05-01-2024, 11:29 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,339,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The fact many Americans view his time in office more favorably than they do Biden's.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/66691881-post8.html
That doesn’t reflect his accomplishments but when you have to deal with inflation you have to blame someone.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
He's a flip-flopper. He doesn't personally object to abortion, never has, never will, in fact, he's pro-abortion. He's gone on record in the past about his being completely pro-choice. That said, he doesn't care about the issue since it doesn't affect him personally. If he had gotten anyone pregnant in the past and didn't want the child (from an affair or dalliance), he would have given the woman some money, paid for the abortion, and had them sign an iron-clad NDA, and that would be the end of it.

Others' rights are not his concern, whether that's individuals' rights or states or any other rights.

Anyone who chooses to believe what he says is going to have to reconcile that he changes what he says more than people change their underwear.
Just like Biden* had flipflopped from being against abortion to being for it. Have you reconciled with the fact that Biden* changes what he says more than people change their underwear?

Old 05-01-2024, 11:34 AM

For those who will not bother to click on the Time link to read the actual words Trump had spoken, I'll bring them here:

You came out this week and said that abortion should be left to the states and you said you won't sign a federal ban. So just to be clear: Will you veto any bill that imposes any federal restrictions on abortions?

Trump: You don’t need a federal ban. We just got out of the federal. You know, if you go back on Roe v. Wade, Roe v. Wade was all about—it wasn't about abortion so much as bringing it back to the states. So the states would negotiate deals. Florida is going to be different from Georgia and Georgia is going to be different from other places. But that's what's happening now. It's very interesting. But remember this, every legal scholar for 53 years has said that issue is a state issue from a legal standpoint. And it's starting to work that way. And what's happened is people started getting into the 15 weeks and the five weeks or the six weeks and they started getting into, you know, time periods. And they started all of a sudden deciding what abortion was going to be.

People want to know whether you would veto a bill, if it came to your desk, that would impose any federal restrictions. This is really important to a lot of voters.

Trump: But you have to remember this: There will never be that chance because it won't happen. You're never going to have 60 votes. You're not going to have it for many, many years, whether it be Democrat or Republican. Right now, it’s essentially 50-50. I think we have a chance to pick up a couple, but a couple means we're at 51 or 52. We have a long way to go. So it's not gonna happen, because you won't have that. Okay. But with all of that being said, it's all about the states, it's about state rights. States’ rights. States are going to make their own determination.

Do you think that—

Trump: And you know what? That’s taken tremendous pressure off everybody. But we—it was ill-defined. And to be honest, the Republicans, a lot of Republicans, didn't know how to talk about the issue. That issue never affected me.

So just to be clear, then: You won't commit to vetoing the bill if there's federal restrictions—federal abortion restrictions?

Trump : I won't have to commit to it because it’ll never—number one, it’ll never happen. Number two, it’s about states’ rights. You don't want to go back into the federal government. This was all about getting out of the federal government. And this was done, Eric, because of—this was done, this issue, has been simplified greatly over the last one week. This is about and was originally about getting out of the federal government. The last thing you want to do is go back into the federal government. And the states are just working their way through it. Look at Ohio. Ohio passed something that people were a little surprised at. Kansas, I mean, places that are conservative and big Trump states, I mean, Ohio and way up Kansas, all these states, but they passed what they want to pass. It's about states rights.

I understand, sir. Your allies in the Republican Study Committee, which makes up about 80% of the GOP caucus, have included the Life of Conception act in their 2025 budget proposal. The measure would grant full legal rights to embryos. Is that your position as well?

Trump: Say it again. What?

The Life at Conception Act would grant full legal rights to embryos, included in their 2025 budget proposal. Is that your position?

Trump: I'm leaving everything up to the states. The states are going to be different. Some will say yes. Some will say no. Texas is different than Ohio.

Would you veto that bill?

Trump: I don't have to do anything about vetoes, because we now have it back in the states.

Okay.

Trump: They’re gonna make those determinations.

Do you think women should be able to get the abortion pill mifepristone?

Trump: Well, I have an opinion on that, but I'm not going to explain. I'm not gonna say it yet. But I have pretty strong views on that. And I'll be releasing it probably over the next week.

Well, this is a big question, Mr. President, because your allies have called for enforcement of the Comstock Act, which prohibits the mailing of drugs used for abortions by mail. The Biden Department of Justice has not enforced it. Would your Department of Justice enforce it?

Trump: I will be making a statement on that over the next 14 days.

You will?

Trump: Yeah, I have a big statement on that. I feel very strongly about it. I actually think it’s a very important issue.

Got it. You think this issue should be left to the states. You've made that perfectly clear. Are you comfortable if states decide to punish women who access abortions after the procedure is banned?

Trump: Are you talking about number of weeks?

Yeah. Let’s say there’s a 15-week ban—

Trump: Again, that’s going to be—I don't have to be comfortable or uncomfortable. The states are going to make that decision. The states are going to have to be comfortable or uncomfortable, not me.

Do you think states should monitor women's pregnancies so they can know if they've gotten an abortion after the ban?

Trump: I think they might do that. Again, you'll have to speak to the individual states. Look, Roe v. Wade was all about bringing it back to the states. And that was a legal, as well as possibly in the hearts of some, in the minds of some, a moral decision. But it was largely a legal decision. Every legal scholar, Democrat, Republican, and other wanted that issue back at the states. You know, Roe v. Wade was always considered very bad law. Very bad. It was a very bad issue from a legal standpoint. People were amazed it lasted as long as it did. And what I was able to do is through the choice of some very good people who frankly were very courageous, the justices it turned out to be you know, the Republican—

States will decide if they're comfortable or not—

Trump: Yeah the states—

Prosecuting women for getting abortions after the ban. But are you comfortable with it?

Trump: The states are going to say. It’s irrelevant whether I’m comfortable or not. It's totally irrelevant, because the states are going to make those decisions. And by the way, Texas is going to be different than Ohio. And Ohio is going to be different than Michigan. I see what's happening.

President Trump, we're here in Florida. You're a resident of Florida.

Trump: Yeah.

How do you plan to vote in the state’s abortion referendum this November that would overturn DeSantis’s six-week ban?

Trump: Well, I said I thought six weeks is too severe.

You did.

Trump: You know, I've said that previously.

Yes.

Trump: I think it was a semi-controversial statement when I made it, and it's become less and less controversial with time. I think Ron was hurt very badly when he did this because the people—even conservative women in Florida thought it was—

Well this referendum would undo that. Are you gonna vote for it in November?

Trump: Well, it'll give something else. I don't tell you what I'm gonna vote for. I only tell you the state's gonna make a determination.

Follow-up Phone Interview With Trump

Last time we spoke, you said you had an announcement coming over the next two weeks regarding your policy on the abortion pill mifepristone. You haven't made an announcement yet. Would you like to do so now?

Trump: No, I haven’t. I’ll be doing it over the next week or two. But I don't think it will be shocking, frankly. But I'll be doing it over the next week or two. We’re for helping women, Eric. I am for helping women. You probably saw that the IVF came out very well. And, you know, I set a policy on it, and the Republicans immediately adopted the policy.

That’s true.

Trump: And that was a good policy for women. You know, it's about helping women, not hurting women. And so IVF is now, I think, really part of what we do. And that was important. I think that might have been right around the time of our interview. But in terms of the finalization—and you saw that Alabama and other states have now passed legislation to approve that.

Right, right. And of course there was the law in Arizona that was passed since then too.

Trump: Right.

https://time.com/6972022/donald-trum...2024-election/

Old 05-01-2024, 11:37 AM

13,903 posts, read 8,092,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That doesn’t reflect his accomplishments but when you have to deal with inflation you have to blame someone.
Doesn't change the fact many Americans today view Trump’s time in office more favorably than they do Biden which helps explain why Trump is doing much better in the polls than in 2020.

Quote:
Four Years Out, Some Voters Look Back at Trump’s Presidency More Positively

While the memories of Mr. Trump’s tumultuous and chaotic administration have not significantly faded, many voters now have a rosier picture of his handling of the economy, immigration and maintaining law and order. Ahead of the 2020 election, only 39 percent of voters said that the country was better off after Mr. Trump took office. Now, looking back, nearly half say that he improved things during his time as president.

The poll’s findings underscore the way in which a segment of voters have changed their minds about the Trump era, recalling those years as a time of economic prosperity and strong national security. The shift in views about his administration comes even as Mr. Trump faces dozens of felony counts and will appear in a New York courtroom on Monday for jury selection in one of his four criminal trials.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/14/u...ump-views.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies