Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 9,541,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Yesterday, I had an argument with a couple of co-workers on why companies like Motorola outsourced their manufacturing jobs from the US to abroad, as well as why companies also keep hiring foreigners over Americans.

My argument is because the companies want the cheaper labor and in this day and age, the American worker needs a good salary to make ends meet. Companies can either hire foreigners on an H1B1 work visa where they also get government assistance with housing and food so they don't have to work for as high a wage, and the companies who moved out of the country did it due to cheaper labor costs, cheaper taxes and regulations.

The 2 co-workers, one from Vietnam, the other from Guatemala, say that the companies are doing this because foreign workers work harder and more efficient than their American born counterparts, and that also the labor unions also hurt the American worker. The guy from Guatemala says that he was working for a machine shop in another company when it decided to close up shop and move it's plants to Spain, where the workers are more efficient. I looked into this and the reports I seen says it's because the cost of living, taxes and regulations are 200 percent less than the US, but the guy keeps saying it doesn't matter when the American worker is mostly lazy and doesn't care about what they do. He says it's why service jobs are taking a hit too since people don't care about the customer anymore and are more into socializing on their phones or office romance.

So, are companies choosing non-American workers due to the cheaper labor, or because the workmanship is far superior?
Labor costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:09 AM

29,848 posts, read 24,947,456 times
At first is was cost, but then the quality of American labor eroded because companies didn't have to train nearly as many Americans as in the past. Many companies weren't interested in producing quality employees. They were primarily focused on poaching other company's quality employees. This pattern started in manufacturing, so we can see the end result of corporate America's decisions there. The same thing has been happening in tech and other sectors, but the process started later, so it will take time to see the final outcome.

The attitudes found in the US workforce are not conducive to quality. Many people simply don't care. The attitude matches that of corporate America's general opinion of the USA. They don't care. They care about making money abroad... At least the large multinationals. There's all sorts of small businesses that do care, but don't have the funds or means to make much of a difference in this environment.

Old Today, 06:26 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Yesterday, I had an argument with a couple of co-workers on why companies like Motorola outsourced their manufacturing jobs from the US to abroad, as well as why companies also keep hiring foreigners over Americans.

My argument is because the companies want the cheaper labor and in this day and age, the American worker needs a good salary to make ends meet. Companies can either hire foreigners on an H1B1 work visa where they also get government assistance with housing and food so they don't have to work for as high a wage, and the companies who moved out of the country did it due to cheaper labor costs, cheaper taxes and regulations.

The 2 co-workers, one from Vietnam, the other from Guatemala, say that the companies are doing this because foreign workers work harder and more efficient than their American born counterparts, and that also the labor unions also hurt the American worker. The guy from Guatemala says that he was working for a machine shop in another company when it decided to close up shop and move it's plants to Spain, where the workers are more efficient. I looked into this and the reports I seen says it's because the cost of living, taxes and regulations are 200 percent less than the US, but the guy keeps saying it doesn't matter when the American worker is mostly lazy and doesn't care about what they do. He says it's why service jobs are taking a hit too since people don't care about the customer anymore and are more into socializing on their phones or office romance.

So, are companies choosing non-American workers due to the cheaper labor, or because the workmanship is far superior?
The fact that you even ask the question, tells me all I need to know about you.

Do your OWN research.

PSST! it has been going on for as long as we have been a country.

Let me guess, dem run public school "educated"!

Old Today, 06:28 AM

45,641 posts, read 27,250,610 times
1- The government has made it too expensive to hire employees through the normal process.

2- COVID lockdowns and free money incentivized laziness.

3- A decreasing amount of young Americans aren't getting a proper education.

Old Today, 06:29 AM

10,921 posts, read 4,580,484 times
Quote:

both.

bottom line - for the company - is the bottom dollar.

Old Today, 06:32 AM

10,921 posts, read 4,580,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The fact that you even ask the question, tells me all I need to know about you.

Do your OWN research.

PSST! it has been going on for as long as we have been a country.

Let me guess, dem run public school "educated"!

that wasnt snarky at all?

Old Today, 06:35 AM

29,556 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Jack Welsh, former CEO of General Electric set off the soon to be avalanche of American jobs offshore, back in the 80's. I was still elementary school at the time so don't know much about when it all started. Where were the Unions, and our politicians ? Why didn't they stand up for American jobs ?

Old Today, 06:46 AM

78,536 posts, read 60,718,007 times
My relative was high up in a major US company (im)famous for off-shoring.

It's first and foremost cost.

The work thing is far more complicated and varies by type of work.

They told me stories of dropping customer service scores and quality threatening contract performance levels....lots of problems with language barriers.

Not discounting the OP's co-workers viewpoints, it's going to vary.

Old Today, 07:00 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's mostly cost, that's been the main reason since outsourcing started in the 1950s. As one foreman told me in the late 1970s (he had just returned from setting up a factory in South America), "You get paid $5/hour, they get less than that for a ten hour day".
I am surprised at you.

"since outsourcing started in the 1950s."

"According to the Chinese Railroad Workers Project, Central Pacific started with a crew of 21 Chinese workers in January 1864. “In January 1865, convinced that Chinese workers were capable, the railroad hired 50 Chinese workers and then 50 more,” the Project notes. “But the demand for labor increased, and white workers were reluctant to do such backbreaking, hazardous work.”

https://www.history.com/news/transco...ese-immigrants

Migrant workers from Mexico were used to pick crops.

When the picking was done, they returned back to Mexico.

"The Bracero program refers to agreements between the US and Mexican governments that allowed Mexican workers to fill seasonal jobs on US farms. Both the 1917-21 and the 1942-6"

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article...s-farm-workers

Old Today, 07:43 AM

6,089 posts, read 2,871,705 times
When everyone proved that you no longer need to be in a physical office in America to do your job, everyone failed to prove to these corporations why they necessarily needed to be the one's who are hired. Our blue-collar factory workers once thought their jobs were secure, too...

Google just announced that they're laying off Americans and sending some of those white-collar jobs to Mexico and India: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/01/goog...twitter%7Cmain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies