Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:45 AM

11,058 posts, read 6,009,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
He had a pellet gun would think police would be able to tell the rifle was a pellet gun.
What!!! The stupid idiot got himself killed over a damn air rifle?

But no - you cannot blame the police. In an 'active shooter' situation - any situation for that matter that involves a gun of any description, the police are not going to take a break to decide whether or not the person, kid or not, has a real gun or a toy. This is not a time to sit down and have a cup of tea while one considers all aspects. One can go to prison for holding up a bank with a toy gun! And people have been shot and killed by police for making threatening gestures with toy guns before. It's like that fundamental firearm rule - treat all guns as though they are loaded. Understand this, many, if not most, accidental shootings occur with a gun that was presumed to be unloaded. And we are not talking about an accident here, this kid had a gun in a school .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
There’s plenty of these planned shooting that don’t get carried out. It’s scary . My grand’s school just had a gun in the bld ,regarding a personal fight. It’s crazy. It could have gone really bad. Two weeks ago another fight outside a school- a stabbing occurred. There are 3 Public HS in our area, and supposed to be a great place to raise kids.

The researchers examined “1,000” school shooting threats over four school years from 2018 through 2022.
https://www.k12dive.com/news/school-...hreats/694229/

There have been 14 school shootings this year that resulted in injuries or deaths, according to an Education Week analysis. There have been 196 such shootings since 2018. There were 38 school shootings with injuries or deaths last year. There were 51 in 2022, 35 in 2021, 10 in 2020, and 24 each in 2019 and 2018.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/sc...-where/2024/01
What the hell is going on in this world!?

Old Today, 01:18 AM

13,324 posts, read 7,362,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
What!!! The stupid idiot got himself killed over a damn air rifle?

But no - you cannot blame the police. In an 'active shooter' situation - any situation for that matter that involves a gun of any description, the police are not going to take a break to decide whether or not the person, kid or not, has a real gun or a toy. This is not a time to sit down and have a cup of tea while one considers all aspects. One can go to prison for holding up a bank with a toy gun! And people have been shot and killed by police for making threatening gestures with toy guns before. It's like that fundamental firearm rule - treat all guns as though they are loaded. Understand this, many, if not most, accidental shootings occur with a gun that was presumed to be unloaded. And we are not talking about an accident here, this kid had a gun in a school .....
I guess it was reported about 12 hours ago it was a .177 pellet rifle. The old Crossman pellet rifle sold at sporting goods stores for 50 years I could tell from a distance. Looking at their website they look lot more like real firearms now days. I suppose we would know more if the police produce body camera footage.

https://www.crosman.com/dpms-sbr-bb

Old Today, 01:24 AM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
You are appear to be pretty typical of those who believe the Constitution is more of a religious document issued from Zion, and cannot be questioned because the rights it bestows are from the Heavens. Sorry Charlie--a bunch of rich, white guys made this stuff up. Some of it's good. Some of it's not. Some of those who signed off on what was drafted was not universally welcomed---but included as a part of any negotiation. And it would have been very likely been a different document had non-male, non-rich, non-white, non-land owners been allowed craft/ratify it. I'm sick and tired of people of this era taking the word of men from 250 years ago as the word of God.
Again, you carry on about 'old, white men'. Everyone who is a citizen of the U.S. has those rights. The fact that you are even complaining about it is thanks to those 'old, white men'.

The POINT was that some tyrant does not have the power over you to silence you, to take away your protection, to make you incriminate yourself, etc. because they are not your creator.

I know that control freaks don't like the Constitution, and that's just another thing that makes the Constitution so great.

Complain until you're blue in the face, but you're wasting your time. Who knows how many have fled their countries and come here, (I'm talking legally, not the 'gimme free stuff' scumbags), some risking their lives to do so. It's because of that Constitution that you abhor so much.

The only people who don't get it are the people who have never suffered and want to dictate to everyone else.

Old Today, 01:29 AM

13,324 posts, read 7,362,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Glad the kids at the school are alive and safe.

This is what happens when people push the lie that these incidents are a normal thing in a society that allows gun ownership, and will continue until we vote for enough Democrats for the government to be able to confiscate all guns. Besides the multitude of unhinged, insane stuff going on in the shooters' brains, I also believe most of them have one semi-rational thought, and that's "well, if I'm going to live in a world where people are executing groups of innocent schoolchildren, I might as well be the one doing the executing, at least it gives me a thrill and some recognition."

No one should ever think this is normal, even if guns were literally growing on trees. The media deserves a tremendous amount of blame for it being this way.

The solution I favor is public execution of the perps, regardless of age, and with at least as much media coverage of the public execution as of the shooting itself. It's clearly too much to ask of the media to stop putting a false narrative out, but giving them the opportunity to cover a public execution would help balance out the overall story while still letting them get their clicks and views.
What would he have done shot his eye out with a BB gun?

I will reserve my opinion of the police on this until I see the body camera footage.

Old Today, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I guess it was reported about 12 hours ago it was a .177 pellet rifle. The old Crossman pellet rifle sold at sporting goods stores for 50 years I could tell from a distance. Looking at their website they look lot more like real firearms now days. I suppose we would know more if the police produce body camera footage.

https://www.crosman.com/dpms-sbr-bb
Quote:
What would he have done shot his eye out with a BB gun?

I will reserve my opinion of the police on this until I see the body camera footage.
Yes of course. When you said pellet gun, I immediately thought of the Daisy pellet gun that I grew up with. It was a smoothbore but still able to hit targets, as worn as it was when I was old enough to handle. I was six. My father got it for sixth birthday. I would have recognized that as an air gun/pellet gun at a glance. But that Crossman?

I'm just shocked at the tragedy!

Old Today, 02:10 AM

9,541 posts, read 4,364,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Cops couldn't disarm and detain a 14 y/o?

Old Today, 05:13 AM

3,342 posts, read 1,440,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again, you carry on about 'old, white men'. Everyone who is a citizen of the U.S. has those rights. The fact that you are even complaining about it is thanks to those 'old, white men'.

The POINT was that some tyrant does not have the power over you to silence you, to take away your protection, to make you incriminate yourself, etc. because they are not your creator.

I know that control freaks don't like the Constitution, and that's just another thing that makes the Constitution so great.

Complain until you're blue in the face, but you're wasting your time. Who knows how many have fled their countries and come here, (I'm talking legally, not the 'gimme free stuff' scumbags), some risking their lives to do so. It's because of that Constitution that you abhor so much.

The only people who don't get it are the people who have never suffered and want to dictate to everyone else.
And again, you fail to understand that the Constitution is not by definition a perfect document. You believe it is, but for Lord knows what reason…you just take it as a given because it comports to your personal views. I have NEVER said it wasn’t a document of merit, principle, and one that was more good than bad. You, however, think that anyone who has the ability to think independently and criticize ANYTHING about your “Precious” and address the possible causes of those flaws is a vile traitor to the United Stares. It is tiresome arguing with you. I’ll let you have the last word.

Old Today, 05:24 AM

50,429 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
He had a pellet gun would think police would be able to tell the rifle was a pellet gun.
I have both air rifles and air handguns. The handgun looks exactly like a 1911. The rifle looks like my .300 win mag. If you were a cop?

Old Today, 05:25 AM

3,342 posts, read 1,440,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The former is the reason then.

The later is the icing on the cake.
I’m not sure how to react when you consider the shooting and death of a 14 year, old who was quite possibly mentally disturbed, as “icing on the cake”. This kid has parents, and they are most likely traumatized, horrified, embarrassed by this event. Your statement is unkind. I’m not suggesting his being shot wasn’t necessary and in the best interest of public safety under the circumstances….I’ve already said otherwise. But an enlightened and civilized society recognizes there is a cost to being such, and being grateful or appreciative this individual is dead so he won’t burden us financially is troubling. Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies