Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 02:42 PM

8,461 posts, read 3,619,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
When I was in elementary school no one talked about that, it was all about space and optimistic things for America. There was an area with the yellow and black Fallout Shelter sign. I didn't know what it meant, I thought it was a place to go if you fell down and hurt yourself. A boy said there were bombs in there so I made sure I didn't go near it even if I fell down. Nothing like education. lol.
When I was in preschool in Iowa, they did tornado drills. We had to get in the hallway with our hands on our heads. I think it was not a drill one time because it was not planned and the teachers were more panicked than I remember other times. Usually it was more laid back than that.

Old 05-05-2024, 02:47 PM

19,916 posts, read 12,434,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, except both sides use that terminology. I have been a "useless eater" since I was a child.

I still see clueless people go on about how something is not going to happen because "what will happen to the poor?" as though the poor matter to them.
Exactly. The poor are being left out of society more and more. Poor people used to be able to own little houses and an old car or truck. Now they are lucky if their tent doesn't leak.

Old 05-05-2024, 02:48 PM

12,490 posts, read 6,525,981 times
Quote:
Some banks are requiring you to use the app.
Quote:
Good luck solving any issues when they close down. They can just hang up on you.

None of my 4 banks require me to use a phone app for all of my transactions. Not yet anyhow. I didn't say it wasn't coming, just at this time losing your phone is not an automatic block to accessing your bank accounts. You can use a PC, laptop, or just go into a physical store.

That is my point about closing all brick and mortar stores. It is going to be much more difficult to resolve issues to our sartisfaction.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
None of my 4 banks require me to use a phone app for all of my transactions. Not yet anyhow. I didn't say it wasn't coming, just at this time losing your phone is not an automatic block to accessing your bank accounts. You can use a PC, laptop, or just go into a physical store.

That is my point about closing all brick and mortar stores. It is going to be much more difficult to resolve issues to our sartisfaction.
My bank is the only one I could find that still has free checking. I don't know why they require the app because I can still log on in a browser or go to the bank in person. I have been wondering if they would find out if I deleted the app. I don't even use it. I barely can do stuff on the phone as it is. I used an old flip phone for over 13 years and I had to stop using it because of the 5G thing. The smartphone aggravates my migraines when I talk on it. I am not very fond of it.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:17 PM

6,331 posts, read 3,028,910 times
Quote:
This was in Chicago, but you know that will spread right? It is pretty terrifying.

From the video below:

"In one case, the victim was made to reset his password on his phone at gunpoint. In another, the victim was made to log into their banking application within their phone at gunpoint".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaLHpT87ve4
Wow! I had not heard of this.

I opened an account with our local credit union earlier this year. (No fees, great interest rates, etc.) I purposefully chose not to activate the online portion of my account. Besides receiving a monthly paper statement in the mail, I have to physically go to the branch to conduct business in most cases or call them on the phone. I prefer it that way. And there's no way I can be held at gunpoint until I log into an app.

I've slowly switched to cash-only for in-person transactions over the last few years. The only in-person transaction I still use a card for is to purchase gasoline. I don't know what to do about online transactions. I really don't like using my card, but what else can I do? Use cash to load a pre-paid card?

I've also switched as many bills as possible to be paid with a check. I really don't like these card companies and am doing what I can to avoid them. Also paying by mail helps the post office and keeps a "lower" tier employee employed at these companies. Not everyone is cut out for "higher" jobs and that's what a lot of people seem to forget when discussing automation and AI.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
People had better realize this is a massive power grab, and demand your representatives not allow it to happen here in America.
It is a further attempt to exert control over the populace.
China does it with so called "social credit scores" which are used to determine how good of a communist party member you are.
If you are critical of anything the CCP does, they can lower your rate of pay or ability to access your already earned money.
Most people are complacent and insist that it's not going to happen or they don't think it's a big deal. We are not going to be seeing anyone in large enough numbers fighting against it.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:07 AM

29,909 posts, read 14,954,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
People had better realize this is a massive power grab, and demand your representatives not allow it to happen here in America.
It is a further attempt to exert control over the populace.
China does it with so called "social credit scores" which are used to determine how good of a communist party member you are.
If you are critical of anything the CCP does, they can lower your rate of pay or ability to access your already earned money.
Absolutely, and a money grab. Cashless is a disaster for small businesses, entrepreneurs, and a boon for the financial institutions, and the government.

If we go cashless, it is one step more towards a dystopian future. If it happens, I can see an underground barter type system starting up.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:44 AM

7,174 posts, read 2,840,124 times
Quote:
We are going to a digital currency. Checks are paper, not digital. There will be no paper checks in a digital society. All monetary transactions will be electronic only.
Checks ARE digital. Banks and retailers read the electronic numbers off the check. A check is just a means of moving money from one uncompatible account to another where a direct interface doesn't exist.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:00 AM

25,800 posts, read 17,567,944 times
Quote:
WEF is Setting Up a Cashless Society
C'mon. The WEF is not even a policy setting organization.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:39 AM

9,399 posts, read 6,523,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
C'mon. The WEF is not even a policy setting organization.
True, however the WEF is a very wealthy and powerful lobbying organization. Already some countries like the U.K. and Canada just roll over and do exactly what the WEF wants without any resistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies