Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:04 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
He once said " He No Longer Performs at Colleges Because of Politically Correct Culture. "They just want to use these words. 'That’s racist. That’s sexist. That’s prejudice.' They don’t know what the f*** they’re talking about." https://www.reddit.com/r/StandUpCome...r_performs_at/

And he was right, but most likely some percentage would have found any speaker offensive for whatever reason. We saw student walkouts at graduation over the state Governor being the speaker, i'm no fan of his but as long as he's not dry and boring even I could endure 20 minutes.

I wonder how the parents of these outspoken youth feel as they have paid $40K and up a year for these prestigious, private schools....
The COA (Cost of Attendance) at Duke is $94,066/year. That's damned near a $400,000 education IF one graduates in 4 years. These are the kind of kids that are going to be whining about hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loan debt.

Old Today, 07:08 AM

10,863 posts, read 4,394,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Recently Jerry Seinfeld spoke at Duke’s graduation ceremony. Some students walked off, others remained and booed.

Back when Seinfeld had his show, never would have thought eventually he would be booed and hated. Become irrelevant, sure. But not this.

I am not sure why some had this reaction. I think the possibilities are:

1. He has spoken against comedy getting too PC and woke.

2. He has expressed support for Israel.

3. He is Jewish.

While it could be any of the above or a combination, the fact that I feel compelled to add the third possible reason is very sad and scary to me.

What do you all think?
You aren't sure?
Well I think everyone else is sure.
Whenever you support Israel you are going to face opposition from Hamas-supporting university students.
Seinfeld's tv series is so famous he will be relevant for the next 100+ years, similar to the popularity of MASH.
Especially since TV has become more PC, it makes Seinfeld standout more than ever, while all the PC shows are forgotten within a few years.

Old Today, 07:21 AM

51,027 posts, read 36,735,609 times
It was 30 students out of 7000, and it was because of his pro-Israel stance.

They also walked out on Gov Youngkin at Virginia Commonwealth.

https://nypost.com/2024/05/12/us-new...cement-speech/

Old Today, 07:25 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,792,420 times
These protestors were going to walk out no matter who the speaker was, they've been planning this kind of thing for months.

In the end, it was so minuscule that it didn't matter. Everyone else enjoyed the ceremony and speaker. And he had some good small tips on how to get through human life, which is complicated and doesn't make sense much of the time.

Old Today, 07:55 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,539,034 times
Seinfeld was also given an honorary doctorate. I enjoyed his speech. I think he did, too.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

15,901 posts, read 6,604,485 times
There wasn't much that was considered "non-PC" about his TV show, and even his comments about comedy don't seem offensive; he's just pointing out that humor often relied upon observations that may now be considered inappropriate. The protest appears to be about his support with Israel, as they were carrying a Palestinian flag. I suspect that protest will win him as much (if not more) support as it costs him.

Old Today, 08:28 AM

3,491 posts, read 2,831,115 times
Was Seinfeld’s commencement speech about nothing?

Old Today, 10:06 AM

45,715 posts, read 27,332,929 times
For those interested...

Old Today, 10:22 AM

52,802 posts, read 34,700,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I thought it was BS too until after 10/7. The elite schools are absolutely teaching Marxist principles of colonizers and the colonized. A narrow world view that teaches there are only oppressors and the oppressed. I too defended this and denied it until 10/8. Lifelong Dem here now Independent and these beliefs are one of the reasons.

Even spreading as far as Kindergarten now, with NY public schools using curriculum from Woke Kindergarten website, where they start teaching anti-Zionism at increasingly early ages by replacing the “Wheels on the bus” with the “Wheels on the Tank”. Check out the website.
congratulations on waking up.

Quote:
Giuseppe Rebaudengo and Anna Battaglia, who teach third grade at PS 705 in Prospect Heights in Brooklyn, have written on social media about teaching materials from Woke Kindergarten, which calls itself a “global, abolitionist early childhood ecosystem & visionary creative portal.”

One lesson the firm developed after Hamas’s brutal October invasion of Israel reimagined the children’s song, “The Wheels on the Bus,” into a Palestinian resistance poem titled “The Wheels on the Tank.”

“The wheels on the tanks go round and round, all through the town,” the poem reads. “The people in the town they hold their ground, and never back down.”

The woke rewrite includes illustrations of Palestinian kids throwing rocks at Israeli tanks. Also embedded is the pro-Palestinian movement’s war cry calling for the destruction of Israel.
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...n-consultants/

https://nypost.com/2024/01/27/metro/...e-israel-hate/

Old Today, 10:26 AM

38,101 posts, read 22,246,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Recently Jerry Seinfeld spoke at Duke’s graduation ceremony. Some students walked off, others remained and booed.

Back when Seinfeld had his show, never would have thought eventually he would be booed and hated. Become irrelevant, sure. But not this.

I am not sure why some had this reaction. I think the possibilities are:

1. He has spoken against comedy getting too PC and woke.

2. He has expressed support for Israel.

3. He is Jewish.

While it could be any of the above or a combination, the fact that I feel compelled to add the third possible reason is very sad and scary to me.

What do you all think?
Jerry is Jewish, and hating Jews shows everyone that you are one of the cool kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies