Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

10 posts, read 856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
People just assume Walmart jobs will always be there. More and more companies are closing their doors because of our horrible Biden economy. Who's to say Walmarts near you might not be closing next?

[url=https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/home-depot-earnings-show-signs-of-a-consumer-pullback-120703890.html] Home Depot earnings show signs of a consumer pullback [/url]

On Tuesday morning, the home improvement retailer posted revenue of $36.42 billion, compared to the $36.66 billion expected by Wall Street. That's about a 2.3% drop year over year; the company posted revenue of $37.26 billion a year ago.

Adjusted earnings per share came in higher than expected at $3.63, compared to $3.60.

Consumers visited the stores less frequently and spent less when they went. Lower foot traffic and smaller ticket sizes, down 1% and 1.3%, respectively, contributed to a fall in same-store sales, down 2.8%.

Have people on the forum seen stores and small businesses closing in their city? Maybe an old K-Mart or Shopko, or fast food restaurant has been abandoned for a few years, and no one has bought it, to try and make their new business?

You may have seen a new business or restaurant open a few years ago. However, they opened their business back when owners still believed the lies from the feds, that [url=https://thehill.com/policy/finance/555799-yellen-expects-high-inflation-rates-to-be-temporary/] high inflation rates will be temporary. [/url]
I can’t just blame Biden.

Let’s go back to Ronald Reagan giving more power to corporations and gutting unions.
Companies just price gauge consumers and underpay their workers while making record profits.

My blame towards Biden is him allowing that to continue.

As for WalMart. Walmart is a parasitic entity. It pop up in small towns, undercut all the businesses, hire workers at such low wages that they still need welfare, then that welfare and whatever small pay is spent at WalMart. Thus keeping a cycle of dependency on Wal mart while small businesses crash and burn. Then inflation hits, wages stay stagnant, the population dwindled and the remaining population is too broke so that particular Walmart closes shop and leaves a behind a now desolate down stripped of it’s soul.

Walmart going to your town is like a plague of locust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

6,438 posts, read 2,758,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
It may not take a lot of skill to do those jobs, but where are the people that do these jobs going to live if they can't afford rent or a mortgage in California? What do YOU suggest?
Roommates.
Cheaper areas.
Cheaper Car.
Cut the Cable/satellite.
Give up the latest "Smartphone"
Learn to cook at home.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

2,248 posts, read 3,391,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
What about food costs, utility costs, medical insurance costs, vehicle maintenance/transportation costs, etc. So, living this way, I guess one would never have a "nuclear" family situation, as they probably could not afford to have children, or privacy! I know that illegals often live this way, living sometimes 4 or 5 families to a dwelling, if it is a house. Third world here we come!
If their income is low enough (and most likely is), they qualify for food stamps and medi-cal (health insurance) in California. Illegal children and the elderly qualified for health insurance a few years ago, the remaining (age group between children and elderly) just qualified for heath insurance recently.

And there are special programs for utilities (and computer usage) for low income people.

Many of them are married and have children. Sometimes the school age kids help translate for their parents.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

31,198 posts, read 22,223,710 times
Just make it $100 an hour

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

10 posts, read 856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Roommates.
Cheaper areas.
Cheaper Car.
Cut the Cable/satellite.
Give up the latest "Smartphone"
Learn to cook at home.
- “Cheaper areas” ain’t that cheap because you still need to be where the jobs are.

- Most of us have used cars or hand me downs. I gifted my uncle my old car, my brother had a kid so my dad gave him his sedan and I got my brother’s car.

Insurance, gas, and maintenance is what kills your wallet.

- most of us millennials and GenZ don’t even used
cable or satellite.

But we do have internet. However internet is a necessity in today’s society because most of our jobs rely on it.
- I hold on to my smartphone for years. I rarely upgrade unless my phone breaks.

- I usually try to do that. Working from home for half the week makes it easier. Another hack is to just by an already cooked rotisserie chicken. That lasts a week. Shred it up, bag it and put it in the freezer. Put it in ramen, make it with eggs, make a burrito.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

20,224 posts, read 9,137,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
It may not take a lot of skill to do those jobs, but where are the people that do these jobs going to live if they can't afford rent or a mortgage in California? What do YOU suggest?
rent, with each other, get roommates, work 2/3 jobs.

or move to a LCOL area. I don't see any other way out of their predicament.

Life isn't fair. Life is hard.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

38,304 posts, read 22,322,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee2Face View Post
I can’t just blame Biden.
He gets a lot of the blame. Biden was kicking our nation's fossil fuel energy sector in the balls during the height of the closures and economic collapse.

Biden just took an axe to many of the policies Trump had in place which were helpful, just to be spiteful

Biden was all in favor of forcing lockdowns, even encouraging employers to fire employees not willing to get the vaccine, not matter if they already had natural immunity.

Biden start flooding our cities with illegals, further exacerbating our economic crisis

Biden started running up the federal spending and deb, beyond even more the emergency pandemic expenditures.

Biden's policies have been to blame America, and pretend there was no economic crisis or inflation, and he's still doing it today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee2Face View Post
Walmart going to your town is like a plague of locust.
And what's it like to your town if the economy forces that Walmart to close?

Last edited by Wapasha; Yesterday at 03:46 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
rent, with each other, get roommates, work 2/3 jobs.

or move to a LCOL area. I don't see any other way out of their predicament.

Life isn't fair. Life is hard.
In the animal world, Life isn’t fair, life is hard. Because they are incapable of thinking beyond just survial.

In the human world, life is hard and unfair because it’s made to be that way by the powers that be.

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

5,194 posts, read 5,021,733 times
It’s a vicious cycle, but for a reason. They super inflate the salary of tech jobs in CA, which creates a deadly income disparity between people of the “chosen” job compared to people of other jobs with similar or even better education, not to mention those low skilled jobs without college education. Ask your self, is it a healthy/sustainable market system where the average salary of a 4-year computer major college graduate exceeds/doubles that of people with more advanced/PhD degrees in non-tech fields?

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

10 posts, read 856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And what's it like to your town if the economy forces that Walmart to close?
Nobody forces Wal mart to close, corporations like Wal mart hurt the economy that causes the Wal marts to close.
Long term consequences for short term gains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies