Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times

Advertisements

I don't want to relive what my dad told me... it was really painful to hear what actually went on during these wars... to think that a rape of a 7 year old child and murder would be okay in some people's mind if it was during war time gives me chills.... my dad has had drinking problems ever since...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:48 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,420 times
I'm sure we have in Viet Nam and Iraq, in both cases our soldiers were tortured and killed. War is hell and our military is coming home with problems due to what they have seen and had to do. I thank them every day for putting their lives on the line for us.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:03 PM

994 posts, read 1,544,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't want to relive what my dad told me... it was really painful to hear what actually went on during these wars... to think that a rape of a 7 year old child and murder would be okay in some people's mind if it was during war time gives me chills.... my dad has had drinking problems ever since...
I think you should watch to the video, not so much for the retelling of the crimes, but a testament to the spur of the moment moral choice that he had to make. It's more uplifting than depressing.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
I think you should watch to the video, not so much for the retelling of the crimes, but a testament to the spur of the moment moral choice that he had to make. It's more uplifting than depressing.
Life is tough. Wear a helmet. Do not criticize the military if you have not walked in their shoes. Miss Gorgeet.

I think I've seen the video, when I had a sound card. I've also read the text version. As others have written, there are crimes committed in every conflict, in every war. Life is tough. Wear a helmet. Miss Gorgeet.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:41 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I agree that war crimes do occur in EVER& war... I am sure there are many, many American soldiers who have raped and killed children of other countries and get away with it... after all, the thralls of war tend to hide crimes easily... I make NO excuses for them... It is much more than 1%... my father told me that while serving in military, he witnessed many times where the women and children were raped and killed... what could he do? These people would probably kill him if he reported it.... and in war, they need people at the front lines... he was expendable...Its no wonder you see so many soldiers on anti-depressants... This is one time I have to agree with gorgeet... crime is crime... I don't care what circumstances you want to bring up... I believe in a life for a life and I don't apologize for it...
I wouldn't say many many.Id say it is a exception rather than a common occurance.Military folk are like everybody else in the sense that if you get enough together you'll find bad apples.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
People are people in the end. Just as their are crime being committed everyday here in this and other coutries there are crimes committted in war. Really liitle difference except for the fact that in a war the people are inder alot more duress and more likely to make a mistake in defending themselves.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:26 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
People are people in the end. Just as their are crime being committed everyday here in this and other coutries there are crimes committted in war. Really liitle difference except for the fact that in a war the people are inder alot more duress and more likely to make a mistake in defending themselves.
yeah but gorgeet is not charging with misidenty of the enemy and killing by mistake but puposely executing and raping.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:02 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,700,133 times
Default Howsabout what zillion-star Cnl. David Hackworth said?

Highly decorated Colonel David Hackworth (military career was in Nam): "Vietnam was an atrocity from start to finish" (or something very close to that, that is a paraphrase).

Also, a real good movie for this thread is "Winter Soldier". If you like to study the Vietnam War, this film is a must see. Scott Camil, you will be with us always, always.

Needless to say, the naysayers and apologists posting here are just flat out incorrect, even if some of the principles have merit (Yes, true, there are probably more good people than bad people, even in the military).

Old 06-16-2008, 04:34 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,108 times
I would think that war crimes have been commited in every war since the beginning of time if you want to get into what is necessary acts of war opposed to what is individual or group acts that doesn't contribute to the real means of an end result.
Some of those acts were perpetrated to try to force out information.
Some were commited just for the pleasure of the individual.
War brings stress that some people who fight wars can't handle and makes any act ok as long as it is against anyone who might be the color or origin of the country that is the enemy.
If you see your buddy blown away by a 15 year old girl who has been brainwashed into being a suicide bomber, then all 15 year old girls of the enemy populace are a potential enemy and therefore there is no compassion.
Everyone that knows history knows what Hitler and his gang did to the Jewish people. The lucky ones (as far as suffering) were the ones who died in the gas chambers.
The unlucky ones were the young females who had to endure the pain of seeing how many soldiers could get their pleasure before the girl died or having their bodies cut open while they were still alive for training for the medics. Was this a war crime? What do you think?
My Mom still has pictures that my Dad brought back from WW-2 from Dachau prison camp that his unit helped liberate. I have seen those pictures. Sickening.
Did Americans ever do something like this? Not that I know of.
I won't even go into what the Japanese did to prisoners during WW-2.
I have an ancestor who was shot in the head and killed because he wouldn't give up his familys only milk cow during the Civil war. But his daughters weren't mutilated. One of his daughters was my great, great, grand mother. Still a war crime as far as I'm concerned.
In Vietnam the NVA used small bamboo shoots to drive under prisoners finger nails to force info from them. Sometimes they used larger bamboo to penetrate the anal region if the fingernail thing didn't work.
There have always been war crimes in some form or other.
If anyone thinks Americans are more guilty of committing them than some of the barbaric governments we have had to deal with in the past, then those people don't understand just how
much more humane we really are compared to some others.
War IS Hell. Sometimes it goes to the deepest depths of hell.
But in general, American fighting men and women have never gone to the deepest depths to cause inhumane acts like some others have.
My son was in Aftganistan. He fired artillary at the enemy. He got a few. Then the infantry went in to clean up the hot spots. But the enemy wounded got medical help from American medics and were taken prisoner instead of being shot or tortured to death to finish them off.
Don't try to tell me we are the bad people. Maybe some of us as individuals are. But as a whole we have never commited war crimes as national policy.
There ain't much you can tell me about Vietnam. Friends and foes all looked alike and male, female, or kids could get you killed. When a people has no value of human life they will strap an explosive to a 5 yr old child and send the kid into your midst.
Same thing goes in the middle east today.
The same person that pats you on the back in the morning might be shooting you at noon.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
War IS Hell. Sometimes it goes to the deepest depths of hell.
That sums it up I think perfectly. I had a buddy of mine come back from Iraq and you can see the stress on him. Every day in a convoy wondering is there an IED with my name on it today, and to do it for a year. He has some stories about being attacked and trying to help guys whose vehicle was hit by and IED and it's horrible. As for Nam, my mother in laws boyfriend was in Nam he was infantry and a tunnel rat, to this day he still wakes up in the night with horrible nightmares. For humans to witness such things that happen in conflict will take a toll on anyone. I know alot of guys are heavy drinkers, just so they can sleep at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
The same person that pats you on the back in the morning might be shooting you at noon.
Exactly, there was a show on PBS that followed a Guard unit from California. They were on a night convoy and 2 IEDS went off. Well they knew it was the Iraqi police who were waiting for them to drive by. I mean the people supposed to police these places are trying to kill us. You can only trust the guys next to you, anyone else I wouldnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies