Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
All agreed...but then on that note, what makes the military any more different than a population anywhere on earth? theft, drunk driving, robbery occurs absolutely everywhere, and I certainly don't see a commanding difference (or more of it) on US bases.

I'm sure japanupdate's got the bads, but it sounds like a college campus (not even as bad as one IMO)
But they’re committing these crimes in a country that doesn’t want us there.
The Japanese look at each crime as an addition to the last, not separate.
One of the recent rapes was a 12 year old.
We’re not discussing the US where there is a rape every 2 minutes: Rape Statistics

There are very few personal crimes committed in Japan; if I’m at the beach, there’s a chance that my car will be broken into and my money taken but I can walk down a street anywhere in Japan at any time of day and be safe.

I do not feel that way in the US, ever.

Does it occur in Iraq? Yes, here’s a link of Iraqi women being raped by US occupation troops.
CAUTION GRAPHIC PHOTOS. Photos Show Rape of Iraqi Women by US Occupation Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I'm sure we have in Viet Nam and Iraq, in both cases our soldiers were tortured and killed. War is hell and our military is coming home with problems due to what they have seen and had to do. I thank them every day for putting their lives on the line for us.
US Soldiers are the occupying force. US forces attacked a sovereign nation.
People are fighting against occupation.
How is rape and murder furthering the US cause to democratize a culture that doesn’t want it?
Violent crime seems a strange way to win the “hearts & minds” of the Iraqi citizenry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Life is tough. Wear a helmet. Do not criticize the military if you have not walked in their shoes. Miss Gorgeet.

I think I've seen the video, when I had a sound card. I've also read the text version. As others have written, there are crimes committed in every conflict, in every war. Life is tough. Wear a helmet. Miss Gorgeet.
I was in the military and work in a military community now. Does that work for you?
If you haven’t served in the military, your words are just as invalid as the ones you don’t want to hear from anyone else who has not served.

Since you’re making an issue of it, have you served? If not, your opinion is just as invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:19 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,772 times
I question the validity of your so called PROOF of rape with the pictures. Seeing as how CBS news itself doesnt have them opn its site. The only place that has these pictures is this site which in looking further doesnt seem to like alot of things American Government.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 AM

Yeah, you're probably right, no Iraqi women have ever been raped by US military members.
Not in Vietnam, not in Japan, not in the US, either.

How about these? Do they fit your criteria?

GIs eyed in alleged rape, murders in Iraq - USATODAY.com
Tomgram: Ruth Rosen on Sexual Terrorism and Iraqi Women
“Five American soldiers have been charged in a horrendous rape and murder case in Iraq (and a sixth for not reporting it). “
The Blotter: Once Hidden, Iraq Rape Numbers Emerging
“The New York Times' Jim Risen today gives us a new detail on rapes in Iraq: The Army says it has investigated 124 reported sexual assaults and rapes in Iraq involving Americans between 2005 and 2007.
We confirmed the numbers independently.”
Bush, "rape rooms," and the Iraq prison scandal. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine (sources cited)
“k. A male MP guard having sex with a female detainee;
g. Sodomizing a detainee with a chemical light and perhaps a broom stick."
“Investigators believe a group of U.S. soldiers suspected of raping an Iraqi woman, then killing her and three members of her family plotted the attack for nearly a week, a U.S. military official said Saturday.”

Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, you're probably right, no Iraqi women have ever been raped by US military members.
Not in Vietnam, not in Japan, not in the US, either.

How about these? Do they fit your criteria?

Tomgram: Ruth Rosen on Sexual Terrorism and Iraqi Women
“Five American soldiers have been charged in a horrendous rape and murder case in Iraq (and a sixth for not reporting it). “
The Blotter: Once Hidden, Iraq Rape Numbers Emerging
“The New York Times' Jim Risen today gives us a new detail on rapes in Iraq: The Army says it has investigated 124 reported sexual assaults and rapes in Iraq involving Americans between 2005 and 2007.
We confirmed the numbers independently.â€
Bush, "rape rooms," and the Iraq prison scandal. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine (sources cited)
“k. A male MP guard having sex with a female detainee;
g. Sodomizing a detainee with a chemical light and perhaps a broom stick."
“Investigators believe a group of U.S. soldiers suspected of raping an Iraqi woman, then killing her and three members of her family plotted the attack for nearly a week, a U.S. military official said Saturday.â€
I have no idea why so many people deny the existence of rapists, murderers, and psychopaths in the military. It does not actually make a case for against the war itself, it just means there are some bad apples in the military. During World War Two, a number of US servicemen were tried, imprisoned, and in quite a few cases executed for a number of murders and rapes committed by US troops stationed in allied and occupied countries. I can hardly see how anyone can say it somehow makes World War Two a less legitimate war.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:20 AM

Your guess is as good as mine.
Denial runs really deep for some people/issues.
I didn't even get into the rapes by Americans against Americans in Iraq.
There's even an 800 number for those violations.

Rape, the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:26 AM

No one is denying it happens because it does, but I think some one should look into facts before posting pictures saying the US military did this. Today it's easy to say alot of things because people dont fact check, as I belive is the case with these so called pictures only one site has.

Chielgirl, in your link your link it states these pictures were released by CBS news, please show a link to CBS news that has them with these pictures.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I have no idea why so many people deny the existence of rapists, murderers, and psychopaths in the military. It does not actually make a case for against the war itself, it just means there are some bad apples in the military. During World War Two, a number of US servicemen were tried, imprisoned, and in quite a few cases executed for a number of murders and rapes committed by US troops stationed in allied and occupied countries. I can hardly see how anyone can say it somehow makes World War Two a less legitimate war.
the difference is certain posters like gorgeet seem to get pleasure at exposing a U.S soldier as doing something illegal because it gives them more justification to hate America and protest Iraq.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:34 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
the difference is certain posters like gorgeet seem to get pleasure at exposing a U.S soldier as doing something illegal because it gives them more justification to hate America and protest Iraq.
Some find delight when the numbers are more horrific.

If 99% of US Soldiers participate in crime... that is good news and supports their argument. There is no need to get into Iraqi Civilian deaths and US fighting deaths, one is too many. But some seem to find pleasure in quoting larger numbers.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I absolutely disagree with this statement.
If we don't acknowledge that we do the same thing, how or when or why would we ever stop.
Denial is not an effective tool in stopping crime and criminal acts.

The US attacked their country and is now the oppressor.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I absolutely disagree with this statement.
If we don't acknowledge that we do the same thing, how or when or why would we ever stop.
Denial is not an effective tool in stopping crime and criminal acts.

The US attacked their country and is now the oppressor.

Do you have that link to CBS news for the pictures you claim show US forces raping women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies