Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
The potato famine was more about landed-gentry and a system that supported it more than it was about capitalism.

It was also about British refusal to interfere with the market. Very modern, very capitalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Abortion is illegal, they have very low taxes, much lower then US and they just rejected the EU constitution. Why don't liberals constantly blast Ireland?

Ireland rejects European Union reform treaty - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Why don't conservatives move to Ireland? I'd be happy to assist them in any way possible!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:40 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I debate people in Ireland often and based on the people I have talked to it is not a conservative haven.Many are anti capitalism and extremely anti firearm ownership.

National healthcare and social welfare is held in high regard.
National healthcare???? Well that kind of ruins things for the conservatives doesn't it!! Next thing you know they will get mass transit over there and really **** the conservatives off!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:56 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Because Ireland, unlike the US, keeps its nose out of other countries' business....they don't invade other countries for oil and $$$. As a result, they don't have any enemies either.

I'd live in Ireland in a heartbeat if it was feasible, beautiful country and the home of my ancestors. And they brew much better beer than swill like Bud, Miller, and Coors.
the Irish had troops in Iraq last time I heard.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:09 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Wow there is hope for Europe and it's from the IRISH sounds like history is repeating. All the EU needs now is another trouble maker like William Wallace from scotland and maybe the EU will have freedom again.
Ireland say FU to the EU again. :-) Nothing wrong with a country wanting Independance is there.
Liberals will hate this place of course because it doesnt agree with the LIBERAL view of society.
Nah, Liberals will hate it because while every one else suffers, Ireland will be prospering... liberals hate prosperity... they like to share the misery...

Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
The potato famine was more about landed-gentry and a system that supported it more than it was about capitalism.
Not to mention that delightful strain of mold known as late blight.

Capitalism wrecks taters.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:27 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Capitalism was born out of the landed gentry mentality. The two aren't all that far apart.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:01 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
Wowee, where are the Irish on this board. Next thing we will be hearing is that the leprechauns are taxed. The Irish are neutral, making it difficult to ratify treaties and constitutions that require taking sides in disputes. They have a both state and private health care, the state health care includes doctor's visits to the sick which we no longer have here. The bars are open whenever their licences allow. I have been in pubs until 3 am and later, plus residence bars are open whenever you want in hotels. Their goods have value added taxes and it drives my husband nuts here because he has to figure out the real price of the goods here depending on the state we are in. They provide heating and utility assistance to the retirees to supplement their income and allow them to stay in their homes. When my husband moved here with me, he was adamant we buy a house so we could own some land, but we bought a small two bedroom home because being house proud was something he would not abide. As far as drinking goes, I have seen these men (and some women) drink all night and get up and go to work as if they had been out drinking tea. But conservatives would not like it there atall, atall, atall. I love going back, but he is retired from Guiness and I am still working here.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 PM

650 posts, read 1,207,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Wowee, where are the Irish on this board. Next thing we will be hearing is that the leprechauns are taxed.
LOL Here!! I couldn't belieeeeeeeeeeve this thread.... THANK YOU Janeannwho for a voice of sanity in what is certainly the most unbelievable conversation I've found on these boards so far...

MamaBee, "tiny houses, tiny cars, tiny lifestyles"?!? and our GOVERNMENT FORCES that on us? I drive a seven-seater Land Rover and it's hard to find a house for sale now with fewer than four bedrooms; the Celtic Tiger has let us 'live large' for years now--- we're one of the most expensive (and shopaholic) countries in the world. Oh yeah, we have rifles too; I think everyone in the countryside does. We're not stupid enough to say they're 'for personal protection'...they're for 'hunting'. And if anyone breaks into my house, believe ME I'll go hunting, and quickly...

And I fell off the chair laughing at 'low taxes'... jaysis. Our taxes are a fright---but we get it back in social services. I stay home with my kids, so we're a one-income family: our healthcare is free, besides which we receive thousands of euros each year in social payments like Child Benefit (515/month for having three children at home). We live very comfortably on that one income. A good education is free here too, right up through university level. I'll admit our roads are crap, but we DO have public transportation, trains and buses and even lots of airports.

This thread has had me going all the way through. It seems people in the USA really do think we're still living like the Quiet Man. Well, except for the big fight scene, we DON'T!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to gettin' on me wee donkey an' be off to Mass....

And no, Ireland would NOT be a conservative paradise IMHO.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:36 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
LOL Here!! I couldn't belieeeeeeeeeeve this thread.... THANK YOU Janeannwho for a voice of sanity in what is certainly the most unbelievable conversation I've found on these boards so far...

MamaBee, "tiny houses, tiny cars, tiny lifestyles"?!? and our GOVERNMENT FORCES that on us? I drive a seven-seater Land Rover and it's hard to find a house for sale now with fewer than four bedrooms; the Celtic Tiger has let us 'live large' for years now--- we're one of the most expensive (and shopaholic) countries in the world. Oh yeah, we have rifles too; I think everyone in the countryside does. We're not stupid enough to say they're 'for personal protection'...they're for 'hunting'. And if anyone breaks into my house, believe ME I'll go hunting, and quickly...

And I fell off the chair laughing at 'low taxes'... jaysis. Our taxes are a fright---but we get it back in social services. I stay home with my kids, so we're a one-income family: our healthcare is free, besides which we receive thousands of euros each year in social payments like Child Benefit (515/month for having three children at home). We live very comfortably on that one income. A good education is free here too, right up through university level. I'll admit our roads are crap, but we DO have public transportation, trains and buses and even lots of airports.

This thread has had me going all the way through. It seems people in the USA really do think we're still living like the Quiet Man. Well, except for the big fight scene, we DON'T!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to gettin' on me wee donkey an' be off to Mass....

And no, Ireland would NOT be a conservative paradise IMHO.
Now and will ye be going for a wee pint after seeing the holy fathers? I would be worryin' after your liver now. Hehe, what a lovely country you have even if you do drive on the wrong side of the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies