Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:19 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times

Advertisements

Wll, the GOP, and its candidates are overwhelmingly majority members. I’m not saying they have to, did not or even should. But, if they were so inclined, how could the Republicans attract more minorities? How would they do it? Seriously.

“Just a few years after the Republican Party launched a highly publicized diversity effort, the GOP is heading into the 2008 election without a single minority candidate with a plausible chance of winning a campaign for the House, the Senate or governor. At a time when Democrats are poised to knock down a historic racial barrier with their presidential nominee, the GOP is fielding only a handful of minority candidates for Congress or statehouses — none of whom seem to have a prayer of victory.

At the start of the Bush years, the Republican National Committee — in tandem with the White House — vowed to usher in a new era of GOP minority outreach. As George W. Bush winds down his presidency, Republicans are now on the verge of going six — and probably more — years without an African-American governor, senator or House member.

That’s the longest such streak since the 1980s.”

GOP fails to recruit minorities - Jim VandeHei and Josh Kraushaar - Politico.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Kinda a weird piece here. My first issue is why they are equating "minorities" with "Blacks". Hispanics are a minority, and many Hispanics are Republican. My second issue here is for all of G.W. Bush's bumblings and shortcomings, he was responsible for selecting two Black Secretaries of State (and one a female at that). There are Hispanic and Asian members of his cabinet.

If the GOP wants to attract "minorities", maybe they should look closer into their policies and their relations with (and addressing the issues important to) lower-income Americans. That would be a start.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Part of it is perception. The republicans do not get much minority votes as they are preveived as not being good for minorities. That's mostly in part to people being "sheep" and voting like that.

However, republicans are less on social services than democrats and traditionally minorities live off social services to a much greater extent than non minorities. Democrats in power mean more free money and that's the #1 reason to vote for them. If republicans offered more free money, they'd get their votes.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
By helping minorities to understand that the people can become successful in this country despite of government, not because of it. The government helps no one to get ahead, and until the vast majority of minorities understand this, it will be difficult to overcome the buying of the votes due to the Democrats pandering.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:04 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Part of it is perception. The republicans do not get much minority votes as they are preveived as not being good for minorities. That's mostly in part to people being "sheep" and voting like that.

However, republicans are less on social services than democrats and traditionally minorities live off social services to a much greater extent than non minorities. Democrats in power mean more free money and that's the #1 reason to vote for them. If republicans offered more free money, they'd get their votes.
Let me raise the BS flag. Whites and Blacks are the two groups that receive the most social assistance, should you care to look it up. Suggesting all minorities are primarily motivated by free services as compared to whites is demeaning and insulting, quite frankly. Hispanics used to be pretty evenly divided amongst Republican and Democrat, now they trend about 75% Democrat again, even as they are growing as a voting bloc.

If you look at why Latinos and Blacks for example are sticking Democrat, the reasons are - most don't support the War, the Economy sucks, a lot on the Right tend to get pretty nasty on a perosnal level when discussing racial issues such as immigration or discussing Barrack Hussein Obama's candidacy.

And even some prior Latino activists for the Republican Party were turned off because they felt they were never truly allowed in the inner circle. If you look at how many Republican Governors, Senators or Congressmembers there are today who are minorities, this bears out to an extent as well. The power brokers of the Party are all still White, and there is some mistrust about that also.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Let me raise the BS flag. Whites and Blacks are the two groups that receive the most social assistance, should you care to look it up. Suggesting all minorities are primarily motivated by free services as compared to whites is demeaning and insulting, quite frankly. Hispanics used to be pretty evenly divided amongst Republican and Democrat, now they trend about 75% Democrat again, even as they are growing as a voting bloc.

If you look at why Latinos and Blacks for example are sticking Democrat, the reasons are - most don't support the War, the Economy sucks, a lot on the Right tend to get pretty nasty on a perosnal level when discussing racial issues such as immigration or discussing Barrack Hussein Obama's candidacy.

And even some prior Latino activists for the Republican Party were turned off because they felt they were never truly allowed in the inner circle. If you look at how many Republican Governors, Senators or Congressmembers there are today who are minorities, this bears out to an extent as well. The power brokers of the Party are all still White, and there is some mistrust about that also.
I like how you raised the BS flag, before you gave the big long 3 paragraph posting of BS.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I like how you raised the BS flag, before you gave the big long 3 paragraph posting of BS.
LOL. Only I can back my BS up with data.

That's the difference.

The attitude expressed by many on the Right that minorities are all just looking for handouts is perhaps a reason minorities are not attracted to the Right as a Party.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
LOL. Only I can back my BS up with data.

That's the difference.

The attitude expressed by many on the Right that minorities are all just looking for handouts is perhaps a reason minorities are not attracted to the Right as a Party.
Maybe because those on the left continue to lie about what those on the right actually feel, making false statements, and then pretending to backup their beliefs with data that does not exist.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Maybe because those on the left continue to lie about what those on the right actually feel, making false statements, and then pretending to backup their beliefs with data that does not exist.
Lie? I am just taking quotes from what are actually posted in threads like this, ad nauseum.

Here is a typical one -

However, republicans are less on social services than democrats and traditionally minorities live off social services to a much greater extent than non minorities

And here is anoher one. Written, why, by you pgqhuest.

By helping minorities to understand that the people can become successful in this country despite of government, not because of it.

You really think minorities are less capable than Whites of thinking for themselves? You are going to lead them along and help them understand things, huh, the way they really are.

How pompous and condescending of you.

Yea. The Republican Party is in big trouble.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
This article only relates to blacks, not to minorities as a whole. J.C. Watts mentioned in the OP's linked article he might vote for Obama. It doesn't help grow the repub party when black leaders are voting for Obama. I remember one of reasons Watts gave (in addition to the "standard" I want to spend more time with my family) was that he wasn't being promoted to leadership positions.
Print Story: Black conservatives conflicted on Obama campaign on Yahoo! News (broken link)
Clip:
...J.C. Watts...a former Oklahoma congressman who once was part of the GOP House leadership, said he's thinking of voting for Obama. Watts said he's still a Republican, but he criticizes his party for neglecting the black community. Black Republicans, he said, have to concede that while they might not agree with Democrats on issues, at least that party reaches out to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies