Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 06:11 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,772,517 times

Advertisements

but should have been given, IMO.

Quote:
The Neal Boortz Commencement Speech No, this speech has never been delivered at a college or a university. It was written to protest the fact that such an invitation has never been offered! It has only been delivered on my radio show, printed in my book "The Terrible Truth About Liberals" and produced on a limited edition CD. The irony is that this commencement speech has been more widely distributed, and has been the subject of more comment than any commencement speech that actually has been delivered at any college or university in the past 50 years. ©Copyright 2001, 2002, 2003 by Neal Boortz.
boortz.com: The world-famous Internet site of the Nationally Syndicated Neal Boortz Show!

I am honored by the invitation to address you on this august occasion. It's about time. Be warned, however, that I am not here to impress you; you'll have enough smoke blown your way today. And you can bet your tassels I'm not here to impress the faculty and administration.

You may not like much of what I have to say, and that's fine. You will remember it though. Especially after about 10 years out there in the real world. This, it goes without saying, does not apply to those of you who will seek your careers and your fortunes as government employees.
boortz.com: More Boortz The Neal Boortz Commencement Speech (http://boortz.com/more/commencement.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,797,021 times
Oh that windbag Boortz. He spends everyday railing against the government and talks about his hate and disgust for public schools although he went to one and sent his daughter to one too! But he always tells his listeners to homeschool their children. Real credible. He should not be near a graduation anywhere!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,772,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Oh that windbag Boortz. He spends everyday railing against the government and talks about his hate and disgust for public schools although he went to one and sent his daughter to one too! But he always tells his listeners to homeschool their children. Real credible. He should not be near a graduation anywhere!
You're as bad as upton, sophomoric attitude. Bet you didn't even read it, huh?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,797,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
You're as bad as upton, sophomoric attitude. Bet you didn't even read it, huh?
I don't have to read it. I heard it when he read it on WSB AM. Nothing new from him.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:11 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,654,078 times
A lot of truth in that essay. I have no idea what Boortzs views on public schools are (though they should be overhauled and privatized....at the least a voucher system needs to be put in place and public school systems should eradicate tenure for teachers) but I digress [ahem] I find nothing at all objectionable about embracing personal responsibility in all forms, of acknowledging that paying taxes suck, that government is not a benign entity no matter who is in charge of it, and lastly a warning to students to think for themselves and not get caught up in the current mode of politics "we're good and they're evil" regardless of who 'we' and 'they' are.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,253,609 times
Though I have a strong orientation towards free market economics I find that speech to be a bit silly.

But I don't want to just take a shot here. Below is a link to the speech that Christopher Reeve gave at The Ohio State University in 2003, a great speech that conveyed the need for folks to think independently and critically (and a pox on both liberals and conservatives):

The Ohio State University Commencement Address (Christopher Reeve Homepage)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies