Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand politically and do you agree with the courts decision?
Liberal - no death penalty for raping a child 25 23.58%
Liberal - pro death penalty for raping a child 19 17.92%
Conservative - no death penalty for raping a child 16 15.09%
Conservative - pro death penalty for raping a child. 46 43.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And if you were accused of a criminal act, wouldn't you want your rights?

Nobody is saying to take their "rights" away. It is vital that these people get their day in court so they can be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact is, once proven guilty, there shouldn't be 5 years worth of appeals. But, the lawyers need to get rich too I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Nobody is saying to take their "rights" away. It is vital that these people get their day in court so they can be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact is, once proven guilty, there shouldn't be 5 years worth of appeals. But, the lawyers need to get rich too I guess.
What about the 129 people released on appeals? They would have died even though they were innocent.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/iheader.jpg (broken link)

What about these people, executed, but now evidence of their innocence surfaces?
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?&did=2238

Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What about the 129 people released on appeals? They would have died even though they were innocent.

What about these people, executed, but now evidence of their innocence surfaces?
Executed But Possibly Innocent
Times have changed. We now have technology and tools that they didn't have access to in 1973. DNA and forensics testing now are so far ahead of where they were 20 years ago they aren't even comparable.

I doubt in this day and time there would be many wrongful rape convictions involving children. There's too much physical evidence; semen, hair, saliva, skin cells, etc are all collected and if all of them are on the victim I don't see how the suspect can be anything but guilty.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Times have changed. We now have technology and tools that they didn't have access to in 1973. DNA and forensics testing now are so far ahead of where they were 20 years ago they aren't even comparable.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...p?did=2341#129

There are still instances where people are convicted and then released on appeal... even in cases that don't involve DNA at all.

If there is even a slight change that someone could be innocent, the death penalty is horrific.

Here is a recent case:

Quote:
123. John Ballard Florida Conviction: 2003, Acquitted: 2006
The Florida Supreme Court unanimously overturned the conviction of death row inmate John Robert Ballard and ordered his acquittal in the 1999 murders of two of his acquaintances. The Court concluded that the evidence against Ballard was so weak that the trial judge should have dismissed the case immediately. The primary evidence presented against Ballard was a hair and a fingerprint, both of which he could have left during his many visits to the victims' apartment. Bloody fingerprints and 100 other hair samples were found associated with the crime scene, none of them belonging to Ballard, who has always maintained his innocence. One of the victims was a known drug dealer. The state Attorney General's office said that it would not seek a rehearing in the case. At Ballard's trial, only 9 of the 12 jurors recommended a death sentence. The judge decided to sentence Ballard to death, commenting: "You have not only forfeited your right to live among us, but under the laws of the state of Florida, you have forfeited your right to live at all." It is expected that Ballard will be released soon, after serving 3 years on death row.
Life in prison w/ absolutely no parole is the answer.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:

Life in prison w/ absolutely no parole is the answer.
I think life in prison is a waste of money.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think life in prison is a waste of money.
I would say the same, but I cannot live with the idea that an innocent person could be put to death.

They could surely stand to cut back on the amenities given to prisoners.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:

Executed But Possibly Innocent

I'm not against appeals as I believe someone who is found guilty and sentenced to death should have an automatic appeal. That said there are plenty of cases that are open and shut.

Of course, if they made jail time tough for them, I would re-consider.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:27 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
today, with modern technology there is little room for mistake...and, again...I'm talking about the repeated molesters...murderers...with whom there is no shadow of a doubt....in other words, there are witnesses...a match in foresics...etc. and not the first offender...

for a repeated offender to be able to appeal, and I know it's the law, but in my opinion, it's a great waste of the tax payers money...yanno, there are millions of us out there who obey the law...why, because its a law and we're loyal to that...we accept it and don't take it further...why would you? It upsets balance in society...it infringes on the rights of others...it isn't right to break the law...it isn't right to hurt another human being.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:14 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Sorry but after reading this story in our area I once again feel we need to execute anyone who rapes a child.

Quote:
An 18-year-old man is in jail charged with beating, raping, sexually assaulting a 3-year-old girl.
Brian Crabtree has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Police were called to an apartment complex off Cummins Court last night and found the child unresponsive.

SO a innocent child is holding on to her life and god knows what mental suffering this is going to cause for the rest of her life. From a man who doesn't care, so much that after he raped her he threw her body against the ground. If this person cares so little about human life then he should not have the right to live. If the want to save money just give myself or any father who loves their kids 5 minutes alone in the room with him.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
The death penalty is morally appropriate for first degree murder. It is not appropriate for anything else. I don't care what anyone says, you can't murder someone metaphorically. Either there's a dead body or there isn't.

Not to mention, these cases that get talked about in the media are not typical of what prosecutors call "child rape". Rape includes statutory rape. If we start executing the real brutes, how long will it be before someone wants to bring a Michael Jackson or a Roman Polanski in on a capital charge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies