Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to offer a great big thank you to the most generous group in the united states, the oil companies. exxon made $40 billion dollars in profits in 2007. they also paid $30 billion in taxes. something you hear little about. do an internet search for "exxon profits." then do one for "exxon taxes." see which is the more popular search. the oil companies have a very low profit margin. I think it's under 9%. when compared to other big industries, it's one of the lowest. they provide a product and service that almost every american relies heavily on, and they also provide billions of dollars in revenue for the federal government to provide more services. why just the revenue from exxon alone provides our funding the the department of housing and urban development. it could also provide all the funding for the department of homeland security. it could provide more than 50% of the funding for the department of education, or the department of health and human services. here is a link so you can see for yourself where we can use the money so generously given to us by the oil companies. Death and Taxes: 2007 by ~mibi on deviantART

remember, that $30 billion is just exxon. there are more oil companies out there that provide much more. we should be thanking the oil companies, yet all we do is whine and complain about them. who really are the greedy ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Not to mention all the people who are employed by those companies.

Rather than going after "big oil"'s profits, I'd like to see the Left go after "big actors" and "big musician" profits.

I mean, they don't really need all that money, do they? They could give some up for the common good.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM

don't get me started on all the other sources of revenue. the difference between the oil companies and actors is that oil companies provide a need, and actors provide a want. we need oil, we don't need hollywood entertainment. give some up for the common good, what a liberal democrat phrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post

Rather than going after "big oil"'s profits, I'd like to see the Left go after "big actors" and "big musician" profits.

I mean, they don't really need all that money, do they? They could give some up for the common good.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
My late father had a modest job at Mobil for 32 years - he put his nose to the grindstone and bought stock at every opportunity - he secured a stable financial future for his family.

Now the American majors are being threatened by nationalized oil companies in terrorist, toltalitarian and communist countries - folks we need to strengthen our oil companies or we shall be at the mercy of those who hate us.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
... give some up for the common good, what a liberal democrat phrase.
You know that's why I said it, right??

Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM

haha, yeah, I detected the sarcasm!

Quote:
You know that's why I said it, right??

Old 07-01-2008, 12:13 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
Quote:

The bigger problem is all the scumbag athletes out there.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 PM

True enough, there's them as well. An awful lot of "windfall profits" to be capitalized upon!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Quote:

Yeah, I'm pretty left and even I think it's asinine that Tom Cruise and Brittany Spears are revered as some kind of icon. They wouldn't have what they do if some guy working for peanuts didn't build the road they use get to their shows and props, If some factory worker didn't get paid peanuts to bag up the lettuce they put on their salad. I have a hard time understanding America's infatuation with celebrities, they have all this fame and fortune, and what do they really do to make things better for any of us? Like the world would have stopped turning if we didn't get MI:3....

Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 PM

did you see the NFL commissioner is trying to put a cap on the rookies salaries. the unions could learn something from that. being paid what you are worth, instead of negotiating contracts and benefits. it's pathetic that people like ryan leaf is set for life without ever producing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
The bigger problem is all the scumbag athletes out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies