Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:42 PM

18,018 posts, read 27,463,514 times

Advertisements

Ah, a thread that mixes religion and politics; two of my worst subjects.

All I really know about religion is that everybody wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die. It's like we're all a bunch of Enochs.

I'm an ex-Catholic, er-Recovered Catholic, er- a maybe never-was Catholic and I'm trying real hard to become a non-denominational Christian. I want to respect all religions unless that becomes dangerous or illegal. It's still legal to worship or not, right? Sorry. Just sticking to the basics here.

Now when I watch these programs on A&E and try to learn about the New Testament, Christianity, The First Church that was built upon the Rock (Peter) or Catholic Church, the Muslims or Persians, etc... it just makes me sick what man has done to each other for so long. The Catholics definitely seemed to have problems mixing the Church with the State and who knows who started what with who in the Muslim world with the Crusades and all. Then a King comes along and wants a divorce, so then you have your Protestants, as my dad would call them.

It's enough to make me sick. I like the idea of just going straight to Jesus and asking, "What do we do?" There's another book I read where a guy says, "In Christ, I concede a great Man...His teachings, most excellent...not too closely followed by those who claimed Him."

So what does all this mean politically? Here's how I (mis)understand it;

Democrat; they get to spread peace and Love. They are either the capable ones who should be put in charge and will take care of you, or they are the ones who need help. They're not responsible. Look at what the Gov't is doing! They get to feel good. They get to have abortions. They are like Robin Hood- Steal from the Rich and give to the Poor.

Republican; they get to have Freedom. They understand that they are responsible. They get to go to Heaven. They get to own a firearm. They have to clean up the mess imposed by Big-Government and the needy. They are like Santa Claus- You better watch out, you better not pout...

So these mega-churches are a Big Business? Are they any good at it? Can they help me get rich? Come on now. I'm willing to give it a try.

And you Republicans, is there some way of thinking that I can adhere to that'll help me earn an extra few bucks? I just had take-out today and I'd swear my favorite lunch went from $6.95 to $9.75. Add $1.75 for drink and a 40¢ Takeout Charge! Then tax. Well, my two tacos, rice and beans and a Sierra Mist cost $12.30. For Take out! Lunch! I used my own gas!

I don't care about Heaven, Hell or WWIII right now! Show me the Money! Where's that damn Contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Been hittin' it early today?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 PM

18,018 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Hittin' what? I've been sober for 4 years, 5 months, and 21 days. Not that I'm counting.

And I've been off tobacco for 13 days.

How you doin'?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
And you Republicans, is there some way of thinking that I can adhere to that'll help me earn an extra few bucks? I just had take-out today and I'd swear my favorite lunch went from $6.95 to $9.75. Add $1.75 for drink and a 40¢ Takeout Charge! Then tax. Well, my two tacos, rice and beans and a Sierra Mist cost $12.30. For Take out! Lunch! I used my own gas!
Man, that IS a rip. Make your own lunch!

I feel for you about the smokes. I smoked three packs a day for 27 years. I quit 14 years ago.You can do it too, but you'll need to have both Democrat and Republican mojo.....

One day at a time -- as you well know. Think about people you love and how you want to stay around as long as you can.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
The question is being put to Evangelical Christians [and is a good question but an unfair question, IMO

The entire Church is responsible for the needs of the community but unable to provide guidance/care. As a Catholic I do not want my church involved in politics but merely a voice for what is good and holy inside each of us.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Ah, a thread that mixes religion and politics; two of my worst subjects.....snip....
True Story.

Many years ago . . my old man . . blacksmith and boilermaker by trade . . a railroad shop foreman . . tough as nails . . drank his liquor straight and chased it with beer . . told me this . . there are two things you never discuss in a bar . . one is politics . . one is religion . . must be true . . all we talk about in the bar I visit is sports . . that's religion enough . . when I sit behind the home team dugout and pass the 'plate' . . I get a beer passed back to me . . manna from heaven . . indeed.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:09 PM

95 posts, read 60,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
All of this election talk has had me thinking about past elections where evangelical Christians made a significant jump to the pro-Holy, pro-life, anti-gay republicans, hoping that we would return to the "morally upright" ways of the 1950s. But despite voting for these "moral figures," the last eight years have been the biggest spiral to immorality that I have ever seen.

-Children are becoming more physically aggressive and uncontrollable
-Teens are becoming more sexually promiscuous (and not with adults much older than them)
-Those who promote immorality (esp. rappers, has-been stars, heiress celebrities) are worshiped to the extreme
-Gay marriage and relations has flourished in the media and is legal in some states
-Abortion has become seen no different than getting one's tonsils removed.
-The nuclear family is falling apart at a catastrophic rate w/ adultery and divorce
-Money and possessions is now the determinant of one's importance, character, and self-worth
-Hedonism is now seen as an excusable reason for one's negative actions

So religious republicans, all I have to ask you is this: What has the religious right really done to make this country more moral now than it was eight years ago?

P.S.: In addition, in the midst of this presidential election, where are all of you in general this year? I'm hearing from the working class, elite liberals, warhawk patriots, and bigots-in-disguise about their opinions, but where are all of you in this?

I don't see how gay marriage fits into all the societal ills that you mentioned; unless of course you are condemning them because they're gay.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:17 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvement View Post
I don't see how gay marriage fits into all the societal ills that you mentioned; unless of course you are condemning them because they're gay.
I did not see that as a list of ills. so much, as a list of evangelical issues that are moving in a direction not expected with a "born again evangelical president"

Old 07-03-2008, 04:24 PM

95 posts, read 60,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I did not see that as a list of ills. so much, as a list of evangelical issues that are moving in a direction not expected with a "born again evangelical president"
Well, the OP mentioned "immorality," which I took to mean that the person did not approve of gays and gay marriage. Incidentally, the term "issues" seems synonymous with adverse factors that a "born again evangelical president" might seek to address.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
All of this election talk has had me thinking about past elections where evangelical Christians made a significant jump to the pro-Holy, pro-life, anti-gay republicans, hoping that we would return to the "morally upright" ways of the 1950s. But despite voting for these "moral figures," the last eight years have been the biggest spiral to immorality that I have ever seen.

-Children are becoming more physically aggressive and uncontrollable
-Teens are becoming more sexually promiscuous (and not with adults much older than them)
-Those who promote immorality (esp. rappers, has-been stars, heiress celebrities) are worshiped to the extreme
-Gay marriage and relations has flourished in the media and is legal in some states
-Abortion has become seen no different than getting one's tonsils removed.
-The nuclear family is falling apart at a catastrophic rate w/ adultery and divorce
-Money and possessions is now the determinant of one's importance, character, and self-worth
-Hedonism is now seen as an excusable reason for one's negative actions

So religious republicans, all I have to ask you is this: What has the religious right really done to make this country more moral now than it was eight years ago?

P.S.: In addition, in the midst of this presidential election, where are all of you in general this year? I'm hearing from the working class, elite liberals, warhawk patriots, and bigots-in-disguise about their opinions, but where are all of you in this?
This is a great post! You did a good job of describing the "immoral degradation" of society. Maybe I can square you up a bit. First let me start by saying as a social and fiscal conservative & evangelical Christian, contrary to what you are proposing, Morality can not be legislated! We can and should attempt to elect " morally upright", (your words), people to congress and the White house, however, I would suggest that generally most evangelical Christians are conservatives and conservatives by definition are for less government intrusion and for more personal responsibility, therefore the thought that by electing "morally upright" conservatives, you can somehow effect: teen promiscuity, celebrity worship, homosexuality in the media, adultry, divorce, hedonism etc... with out creating all sort's of draconian, authoritarian legislation is just contradictory to what being conservative means! What elected officials CAN do is set an example, good or bad billclinton, and use the bully pulpit to encourage people to aspire to their better angel's, Ronald Reagan! Finally, I would suggest that George W Bush has made exactly the progress that a conservative would hope for, regarding these issues in Appointing two excellent supreme court judges! PS; As far as the so called religous right is concerned they are not a monolithic voice, but they have been very present. Huckabee ran for president, I believe Robertson came out for McCain early, Dobson came out against McCain strongly, Romney was running, several other tv preachers came out for McCain. Who am I missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies