Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should men have a say in abortion?
yes, they should have a say if they are both fiscally responsible 35 53.03%
no, it's a woman's body, it's her decision 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times

Advertisements

A man cannot choose to abort/not abort because one person cannot make decisions that affect another person's body. In fact, the ONLY reason why abortion is an option to women is because they must carry the child for nine months and then birth it. If procreation all happened outside the female body (as it does for men), women wouldn't have a choice either. It is unfortunate that only women can become pregnant, but this is one case where equality is not an option, so men are going to have to suck it up for the time being.

Regarding financial abortions, why should a child have to get the short end of the stick instead of the parents? It was the parents' actions, BOTH parents, that resulted in a child. That is why you have to pay child support whether you wanted the kid or not. Not because of the woman, because of the CHILD. It is not up to the man, it is not up to the woman. If the child is in need of money (as determined by the courts), then the parents have to pay up. And BTW, child support applies to both sexes, not just to men. Women can't get financial abortions, either.

Having sex is like speeding x1,000,000. You know what you're doing has possible consequences, but it's worth the risk since you usually don't pay any consequences. But when you do, it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 11:36 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
my opinion is that the man should have the right to a financial abortion. if you do not believe in that, then you believe in this. a woman has the right to her body, she carries the baby to full term, and that takes 9 months. the man is responsible for 18 years. now what is your opinion?
I think that a man has the responsibility the moment he decides to have unprotected sex with his partner. I have too many friends that say they were tricked into getting their wife or girlfriend pregnant or that the sex felt better without protection. That is the most foolish thing I have heard. Both partners know what the risks are in having unprotected sex and both should be responsible. I do agree that some men are indeed tricked into getting a woman pregnant, but isn't that the penalty for having non safe sex before marriage? My father ran away from my mom while she was pregnant with me and raising 4 children from another failed marriage. She never found him and had no information on him. I found him at 34 and 4 more sisters and a brother while I was at it. It never crossed my mind that he never supported me while I grew up. He divorced the wife of his current children and had to support them though. Maybe that was his payback.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:02 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
My issue with child support isn't that I once had to pay it or even that it was so high. After taxes it was 50% of my income!!! My issue was that the mother didn't have to justify how it was spent. In other words my kids wore rags and thrift store specials while she drove a new car and wore name brand clothes. At $1400.00 a month my kids should have been wearing Levis and Nikes.
Abortion is the womans choice. Safe sex is on both. The man should know better, and the woman who is the one who will really pay the price ought to make damn sure she is protected. The high child support whimpering if nothing else should tell other guys to wear the rain coat.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:13 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
A man cannot choose to abort/not abort because one person cannot make decisions that affect another person's body.
The above is not necessarily true

Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
My issue with child support isn't that I once had to pay it or even that it was so high. After taxes it was 50% of my income!!! My issue was that the mother didn't have to justify how it was spent. In other words my kids wore rags and thrift store specials while she drove a new car and wore name brand clothes. At $1400.00 a month my kids should have been wearing Levis and Nikes.
Abortion is the womans choice. Safe sex is on both. The man should know better, and the woman who is the one who will really pay the price ought to make damn sure she is protected. The high child support whimpering if nothing else should tell other guys to wear the rain coat.
That totally sucks, and I agree that the other party should have to justify where the money goes. I think housing and car payments are perfectly justifiable expenditures, whereas luxury items for the custodial parent (like designer clothes) are not, especially if he/she isn't shelling out like that for the kids. But this is just all just more ammo for the argument that you should be selective about with whom you have sex. Women are pretty good about it. Since we have historically been the ones stuck with raising the children, we wanted to make sure to find a guy that was responsible enough to provide the necessary support. Unfortunately for men, the law is now forcing them to be as selective about mating as nature has forced women to be, while at the same time allowing women to be less selective, since the man will now be forced to provide for the family. But look at the bright side: now more women are more willing to have sex with your irresponsible ass.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
I wish that there was another option on the poll.
I think that if women can have an abortion without the fathers consent, she should also be able to place that baby for adoption without the fathers consent.

As to needing a mans persmision to abort.....that skeeves me out. In all good conscience I could never condone such a thing.
As to the man getting 'trapped' into marriage or child support payments. Too damn bad. You roll the dice and take your chances.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I wish that there was another option on the poll.
I think that if women can have an abortion without the fathers consent, she should also be able to place that baby for adoption without the fathers consent.

As to needing a mans persmision to abort.....that skeeves me out. In all good conscience I could never condone such a thing.
As to the man getting 'trapped' into marriage or child support payments. Too damn bad. You roll the dice and take your chances.
I disagree with the bolded. The baby belongs to the father as much as the mother once it comes out of the womb. If daddy wants to raise it, mom needs to chip in some $$. Mom can give up custody and not ever see the kid, but there's no wriggling out of financial responsibility.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:55 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
this is a tricky one.

while i believe women should ultimately have control of their body, and abortion is a choice for women, i think that a man who a woman has been sexually involved with does have a say in carrying the child to term. be it a one night stand or a long term deal.

it does take two to tango after all

now i dont beleive a man can or should force a woman to carry a baby to term, if she wants to abort it, oh well. next time you want a kid have sex with someone who thinks like you.

i do beleive the man should have a say in wether the fetus is aborted tho.

there should be a law somewhere that allows fathers to relinquish all parental rights and responsibilities in the case of not wanting a child.

for example, lets say i have sex with some broad i met, we used a condom, that eventually slipped off un-noticed, and 2 months later, after not seeing her once, she tells me she is pregnant.

i dont want the kid.
i would suggest she have an abortion.

if she does not, then she is on her own. i would go to court to remove any financial obligation. this would be pre birth of course.

sounds kinda cold, but i should have a say in it as well.

some "side effects":

more abortions
less single mothers
possibly less random sex once girls realize they can be left without a financial leg to stand on.
possibly more random sex, once boys know they can leave a girl stranded or force an abortion.

its tricky really.

but i think fathers/mates/sperm donors(not in the traditional sense) should have the chance to opt out of being a parent.

one sure way is masturbation, and condoms and such, but life doesnt always happen they way we like or expect.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Men should be able to have a say regarding the child (I am not entertaining abortion here even though I know that was the poll question). When a woman and a man are together knowing that the potential for pregnancy is there then they both should have a say if this happens. A man should not have to pay child support if the woman will not allow him to see his own child. On the other hand, if the man does not want to see the child or be a part of its life, he should pay child support.

Last edited by PG77; 07-05-2008 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
The man has every right to want a child by all means but you must keep in mind that the man is not the one carrying nor going through the labor pains of said child.It takes 2 to concieve a baby but just one to give that baby life and bring it to the world and that is the femals(said mother)s job alone.If the women wishes to have the child and the male does not then it is only fair to pay a amount for that child..the male may not want the child and fine by law no one can make you see or spend time with it but you were a hand in creating it so there for you still owe that child support.The way i look at is the mother is rasing him/her on her own and already had it so the least you could do is pay.Expecially if you dont want it.think of it as a leason...everything has an consquence.And if you do pay your child support i dont see why if you choose and have the best intrest of the baby...why you cant help in its decisions once it is born.And for a man who wants the child and the women does not...you cant get mad over that again...its the females body...she would have to go through the labor and the 9 months of body changes by herself because fact:males cant do it!!!So on that men you just need to find somone who will have your baby!But those who have a problem with child support then strap up and get smart.Money isnt everything and its bad enough you deny that child another parent but you limit its lively hood by not helping out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies