Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times

Advertisements

Here is the article - U.S. deserter could qualify as refugee: court

An American war deserter could have a valid claim for refugee status in Canada, the Federal Court ruled on Friday.

Wow!

Has this been on the U.S. air-waves as of late?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:59 AM

358 posts, read 518,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

An American war deserter could have a valid claim for refugee status in Canada, the Federal Court ruled on Friday.

Wow!

guess he likes living without a country. this is not someone going to kanada because they are avoiding the draft, this is a person in the US military that volunteered for the military and is now a deserter. desertion in a time of war is punishable up to and including the death penalty.

hope that jerk just gets his citizenship revoked.

also, kanada also has extridition treaty with the USA, it is supposed to follow it unless they want to get their butts handed to themselves in a sling.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

Wow!

He can stay in Canada or he can come back and face his punishment. I don't have alot of sympathy for him either way. This is not the same as the draft days when people were forced against their will to join the Army.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Same thing happened during vietnam in canada. I just hoe this time they don't get amnesty like after vietnam. I thnik it is the exact same as the draft days called or agreed to serve then go AWOL to another country.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Says something about how the world views the USA.

losertarian, interesting that you have no respect for anyone else in the world.
Perhaps are you just a victim of public school and don't know how to spell neighboring countries.
Either way, you look uneducated and small.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
If you sign up for the military or if you are drafted, you should be able to withdraw if what you encounter clearly is a lie or goes against your values. If what you're being asked to do has nothing to do with service to your country as you define it, you should be able to leave. But because the military steals your soul with an immoral and unethical contract, you will have no other option but to go AWOL. It is entirely unacceptable for any government to demand your participation in anything. If the only way they can get you to do their evil deeds is to manufacture "enemies" and then dangle the death penalty over your head as a deterrent to growing an independent conscience, what does that say about this whole institution? Where is the glory and honor in it? Why do people think so highly of what amounts to the lowest possible moral behavior?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Well then I say tell that to your democratic party like kennedy and johnson who sent many to prison. If that is the case thewn Obama with waht he has sid about teh war shoudl expect to allow evry soldier to come home immediately since he is going to leave anyway as he has said.I also think thsoi option should be given to the police when confronting the crazys in our society. let the home owenr defend his own property and life. Besides the people in that area maybe in his judgement imoral and not up to his standards of conduct.In fact it might be useful to keep a computer record of peoples moral conduct to help them to decide who meets that standard

Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 AM

358 posts, read 518,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
If you sign up for the military or if you are drafted, you should be able to withdraw if what you encounter clearly is a lie or goes against your values. If what you're being asked to do has nothing to do with service to your country as you define it, you should be able to leave. But because the military steals your soul with an immoral and unethical contract, you will have no other option but to go AWOL. It is entirely unacceptable for any government to demand your participation in anything. If the only way they can get you to do their evil deeds is to manufacture "enemies" and then dangle the death penalty over your head as a deterrent to growing an independent conscience, what does that say about this whole institution? Where is the glory and honor in it? Why do people think so highly of what amounts to the lowest possible moral behavior?

nope, not a reality, you sign up knowing well in advance of what you could be doing, if you desert then you deserve nothing more than a firing squad.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
There is no draft. People who sign up for the United States Armed Forces do so of their own free will. When you sign your enlistment, you are signing a contract for basically 8 years of your life. People know that when they sign up. You cannot then pick and choose where you want to go and what wars you wish to fight in and what wars you wish to avoid.
Do you think that 90% of the soldiers in Iraq want to be there? Maybe when they first arrive because it is new and exciting but after about 2 months most of them want nothing more than to get out of that hell hole and never see it again. Few of them want to go back for 2nd, 3rd and 4th tours. Yet they do it because that is what they signed up to do.
People who desert the service are low lifes. Like I said, I could understand it if we had a draft and somebody decided they were not going to Iraq although if I felt that strongly about it myself, I would "man up" and stand before a judge and take my punishment rather than to run off to Canada. But these people willingly signed up for the service and that to me is a no brainer. There are lots of Americans who would like to get into the service and cannot do so.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
nope, not a reality, you sign up knowing well in advance of what you could be doing, if you desert then you deserve nothing more than a firing squad.
I agree.

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies