Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
I thought the proof was:

Greenhouse gases trap in heat.
We're adding additional greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.
More gases trap in more heat.
More heat makes things warmer.
That would be the start of a hypothesis. they have yet to prove this to be true.

The problem is that they are using an unfounded hypothesis to jump to a position of theory and immediately jumping to a conclusion. Like fast food, its fast science and it aims to please those who are driving through. Not science, politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That would be the start of a hypothesis. they have yet to prove this to be true.

The problem is that they are using an unfounded hypothesis to jump to a position of theory and immediately jumping to a conclusion. Like fast food, its fast science and it aims to please those who are driving through. Not science, politics.
I'm pretty sure the greenhouse effect is legit...

Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
You apparently haven't been paying attention to the past couple of posts.
Unproven....

Read Pst #31

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure it isn't. Now we are back to square one.

The moderator will be hitting this again for topic violation.
There are plent of threads that debate the issue. Kids don't need to be drawn into this argument until we "Know the world is round."

Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Right, as controversial as global warming is...

Is it appropriate to scare children with propaganda? Let's say global warming was true and was happening...is it appropriate to instill a fear in children of it...to have them parroting back the propaganda told to them by teachers? Schools are institutions of learning...children should be presented with all relevant theories and left to decipher the facts themselves...unless education and free-thinking aren't the real agendas of "teaching" global warming.

These children actually believe they are "saving the planet". There are so many things in the community to involve children in that they could see a real benefit and results for...helping those in poverty, outreach to seniors, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:47 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
How does that lead to our causing it? Maybe you would like to share any evidence as to why we are the cause of the changes. Greenhouse gases are natural, nobody is denying that. We are asking simply, what proof do you have that we are the cause for any changes you might suspect are due to these gases. Please, I am all ears here. Provide me with some evidence.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 PM

93 posts, read 182,581 times
I always have a good laugh or two when propagandists proclaim that raising heat will destroy the world and all I can do is think back to the Jurassic.

What was the effect back then of increased CO2 levels?

Ah... yes... increased oxygen levels due to increased plant growth (because of the increased CO2). The increased heat caused increased evaporation, leading, of course, to an increase in rain. The increase in rain helped with plant growth.

The more plant growth the more first and secondary consumers can grow and breed. Thus predators can grow... population boom is inevitable. Of course, the increased size of animals was also due to increased oxygen levels...

This time period flourished with life, both flora and fauna. Yet, according to these silly propagandists in my party (not exactly my party but closer than others)declare the conditions existing in the Jurassic would spell disaster today.

I'm increasingly interested in how this is so... can anybody explain?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
It is a shame, the original posting asked a fairly interesting question, and the discussion has gone off on the legitimacy (or not) of global warming itself.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM

They just didn't have an Al Gore T-Rex to spell it for them in those days

Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
It is a shame, the original posting asked a fairly interesting question, and the discussion has gone off on the legitimacy (or not) of global warming itself.
Sorry, I was being my usual smart alec self again. (Post # 38)

But you are right, it is getting way off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies