Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:20 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

A Canadian woman who describes herself as a white nationalist lost custody of her children after sending her daughter to school twice with a swastika drawn on her arm, the CBC reported.

The Winnipeg mother told the CBC she regrets redrawing the Nazi symbol after a teacher scrubbed it off. She is fighting the child welfare system to regain custody of her daughter, 7, and son, 2, who were removed from her home four months ago.

FOXNews.com - Mother Loses Kids After Sending Daughter to School With Swastika Drawn on Arm - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A Canadian woman who describes herself as a white nationalist lost custody of her children after sending her daughter to school twice with a swastika drawn on her arm, the CBC reported.

The Winnipeg mother told the CBC she regrets redrawing the Nazi symbol after a teacher scrubbed it off. She is fighting the child welfare system to regain custody of her daughter, 7, and son, 2, who were removed from her home four months ago.

FOXNews.com - Mother Loses Kids After Sending Daughter to School With Swastika Drawn on Arm - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Sheez, at least she's Canadian. Thank God she's not in the US! Some group might approve!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

She should move here and join the Republicans! She will feel right at home.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
A racist Canadian?! But, that cannot be! Only Americans (further, only Republican Americans) can be racist

Thank god Canada was able to identify the only racist in Canada when they did

Old 07-12-2008, 08:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
A racist Canadian?! But, that cannot be! Only Americans (further, only Republican Americans) can be racist

Thank god Canada was able to identify the only racist in Canada when they did
I am sure they have their fair share of racist too. Canada is not unlike the United States in that it has all kinds of people. Overall it is a more liberal country and less influenced by religion but when you get out of the major cities like Toronto and Vancouver and into places like Calgary and the Northwest territories, those "good old boys" are not much different than our "good old boys" in Texas. Check out the show "Ice Road Truckers" and you will see pretty much a reflection of blue collar rural America there.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,389 times
Fascist see, fascist do.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:37 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
That's pretty harsh losing your kids because of that. She's an idiot to be sure, but taking away her kids? There's got to be more to that story.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's pretty harsh losing your kids because of that. She's an idiot to be sure, but taking away her kids? There's got to be more to that story.

I agree its pretty harsh but in todays world I'm not very surprised.
As repugnant as the things the swastika brings to mind are, I dont think drawing one on kids arm, or letting them do so is grounds for breaking up a family.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I agree, there has to more to it.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:19 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I agree its pretty harsh but in todays world I'm not very surprised.
As repugnant as the things the swastika brings to mind are, I dont think drawing one on kids arm, or letting them do so is grounds for breaking up a family.
Yeah, I actually had a discussion with my 10 year old about this news story. As disgusting as this woman's beliefs are to ME, what constitutes harm in respect to raising children with these beliefs?

I really don't know how I feel about it, honestly. Going on the presumption that this mother has taught her children that they are superior based on race.. I mean, it breaks my heart to know that she is teaching this kind of hatred, when children are so naturally open and tolerant and "color blind" if left to their own devices, without undue influence.

On the other hand, there are so many ways this could become a Very Bad Thing for parents everywhere, because at what point do we draw the line? Whose ideas are "harmful" and whose are protected? What if you teach your kids to hate cops? Muslims? Gays? Whites? Jewish people? Hispanics?

I don't like the idea of any parent preaching intolerance... but I do agree with the one guy on the video I watched about this. I DO think it's a slippery slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies