Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:24 AM

74 posts, read 138,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
How about $93,000 compared to $82,000 in New York. They are still continuing to investigate and we should hear more about the this income inequality for years to come. We have been hearing about it, but there has been little done to even up the playing field. Not that it will ever happen. What do you think?
You just said that a black woman can earn over $80,000 a year. What are you complaining about?

I'd like to see more blacks put down their crack pipes and get jobs. Right now 3 out of 4 black children are born out of wedlock. If blacks would become responsible citizens, work hard, raise their children properly and stop listening to that stupid jungle music that glorifies violence, crime and sex, maybe they wouldn't be earning less on average than whites.

The problem isn't with the system, the problem isn't with white people, the problem is black culture. They have no-one to blame but themselves.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:12 PM

519 posts, read 1,696,971 times
I'm going to change the topic a bit ...

What do you all think about shows like MTV's From Gs to Gents?

Most of the black (and white) men on there didn't have jobs, one was homeless, would rather hustle .. I'm not sure if this show hurts or helps the stereotypes. I mean, really, why can't they be awarded a job instead of 100K? Are their gentlemanly ways going to follow them when they go back to their communities?

Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 PM

231 posts, read 157,079 times
What kind of job pays $100,000 in a matter of weeks? I understand what you're trying to say, but that's a rather silly question. I don't know very many people who wouldn't take $100K over a job you could lose next week.

Additionally, $100K could be the seed money to start a business that gives jobs to many. When my uncle started his business, he first hired his wife along, then my dad, then my mom (my aunt's sister). Now he hires many people and owns more than one business. I was one of his last hires a couple of years ago, and now I have people working under me. Now *I* do the hiring. And one day I make branch off from my uncle's corporation and make one of my own.

It takes more than a dream to make an enterprise. It takes MONEY, and quite a bit of it. $100K is a good start.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleeBob View Post
You just said that a black woman can earn over $80,000 a year. What are you complaining about?

I'd like to see more blacks put down their crack pipes and get jobs. Right now 3 out of 4 black children are born out of wedlock. If blacks would become responsible citizens, work hard, raise their children properly and stop listening to that stupid jungle music that glorifies violence, crime and sex, maybe they wouldn't be earning less on average than whites.

The problem isn't with the system, the problem isn't with white people, the problem is black culture. They have no-one to blame but themselves.
What?! Are you serious?! I am Black and have a large family, and no one in my family smokes crack. I know some White people who smoke crack though. Just as many Hispanic children are born out of wedlock. I won't even respond to the rest of that post because it is just insanely ridiculous. OMG!

Old 07-19-2008, 06:06 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
ignorant stereotyping. I live in a neighborhood that is mostly black. I know where the crime "crack" hangouts are. it may be a black neighborhood, but I see just as many white boys there as blacks. crack heads smoke crack, ethnicity does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
What?! Are you serious?! I am Black and have a large family, and no one in my family smokes crack. I know some White people who smoke crack though. Just as many Hispanic children are born out of wedlock. I won't even respond to the rest of that post because it is just insanely ridiculous. OMG!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
Did anyone catch the panel discussion on CNN? The lady from the Chicago Urban League pointed out that an increase in Black entreprenurship is a big solution to Black poverty problems. This is the main way Blacks can benefit from our $700 Billion in spending power, build wealth and create jobs for ourselves.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:37 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
Quote:

I am not speaking to the subculture of some Black Americans. I am speaking to nurses who have the credentials and the experience and not being paid fairly in the institutions in which they are employed. I am not speaking to those in the subculture who are not relevant to the topic being discussed.

It would do you good along with many others to cease speaking about others in the race that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. It is so stale and apparent that you actually believe that speaking about the subculture and their behaviors will disrupt the topic that is currently being discussed. Where is the logic in speaking about the subculture? How do you think this way?? Inquiring and intellectual minds would like to know!!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Did anyone catch the panel discussion on CNN? The lady from the Chicago Urban League pointed out that an increase in Black entreprenurship is a big solution to Black poverty problems. This is the main way Blacks can benefit from our $700 Billion in spending power, build wealth and create jobs for ourselves.
Sometimes I think we're the only race of people who tell our children to work hard, get an education, then get a good job to make somebody else rich.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
Quote:

While racist, the statement is still true. Not compared to whites or any other ethnic group but compared to how well we Blacks could be doing. Asians were called ignorant by racists 100yrs ago. They turned a stereotype around by succeeding. We need to do the same.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 PM

I think you need to do the research on race and drug use. Drug addicts are largely white.

According to the federal Household Survey, "most current illicit drug users are white. There were an estimated 9.9 million whites (72 percent of all users), 2.0 million blacks (15 percent), and 1.4 million Hispanics (10 percent) who were current illicit drug users in 1998." And yet, blacks constitute 36.8% of those arrested for drug violations, over 42% of those in federal prisons for drug violations. African-Americans comprise almost 58% of those in state prisons for drug felonies; Hispanics account for 20.7%.

Source: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Summary Report 1998 (Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 1999), p. 13; Bureau of Justice Statistics, Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics 1998 (Washington DC: US Department of Justice, August 1999), p. 343, Table 4.10, p. 435, Table 5.48, and p. 505, Table 6.52; Beck, Allen J., Ph.D. and Mumola, Christopher J., Bureau of Justice Statistics, Prisoners in 1998 (Washington DC: US Department of Justice, August 1999), p. 10, Table 16; Beck, Allen J., PhD, and Paige M. Harrison, US Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics (Washington, DC: US Dept. of Justice, August 2001), p. 11, Table 16.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/racepris.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies