Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 09:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Instead of seeing a one thing solution let's see how many things we can do to achieve dependency.

From light bulbs to nuclear power....how many things can we come up with to increase our sustainability?

Post your suggestions.

Here was mine several months back:
Ideas to cool down house with big windows?
Ideas on saving energy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,722 times
No one technology. All of them.

Solar.
Wind.
Hydro.
Geothermal.
Hydrogen research.
A few nuclear plants for the transition.

Though ultimately I think solar is the real winner, after we figure out how to concentrate all of that massive energy potential into something scalable. Who knows what future science will uncover? There might be some exotic energy we haven't considered yet.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 PM

We need to make solar more effcient as it stands.

I think the biggest possibility with it is the neutrino. Solar winds....Yeah
Neutrino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nova had a great article I am trying to find for you.

Looks like they removed it.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neutrino/missing.html

Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 AM

799 posts, read 1,444,986 times
Solar thermal-electric power seems like a good way to produce power. Mirrors are much cheaper than solar panels at the moment, maybe the cost of a ST-EP plant would be cheaper than a regular solar plant. I think we tried this in the U.S. a long time ago but ran across problems with corrosion in the mirrors and abandoned the project.
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy01osti/28751.pdf

I am also very interested in these double-helix vanes for wind farming. They seem to have many advantages over traditional vanes. I wouldn't mind putting one or two on my roof.
http://www.bluenergyusa.com/PDFs/Bluenergy_Brochure.pdf

Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
If we want to fix the fuel crisis we need to look deeper than what kind of cars we drive, power plants we use etc.
We are a wasteful society. We waste nearly every resource there is.
Go to Thailand if you want lessons on fuel management.
Electrical service is 100amp... Hot water on demand systems. Roof top water tanks to heat the water with the sun.
Recycle. They recycle just about everything including cardboard boxes.
We throw a few plastic bottles and some tin cans in a recycle bin and call it good.
Everything requires energy to produce especially from its raw form.
How many houses North or south are insulated properly? How many new homes are built to take advantage of the sun?
Mass transit is under utilized and not by a little.
We need to adjust our culture....
Fuels. We depend on Gasoline for nearly everything. Diesel is a much more efficient engine.
We under use propane and natural gas.
Its not just about fuel sources for energy. Its also about eliminating waste.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
Check out the Rocky Mountain Institute and it's leader Amory Lovins. Pretty bright guy (physicist by training I think) and the RMI has been instrumental in getting some high volume users BIG REDUCTIONS in consumption, WITHOUT DEGRADING PRODUCTIVITY.

He was on Charlie Rose earlier this week and had some great things to say, much of which explodes conventional wisdom-which is usually wrong anyway.

1. If we had continued to increase our automotive fuel economy in the decades since '86, at the same rate as from 76-86, we would be importing NO OIL today. But in '86 Reagan tossed out the tough CAFE standards via executive order.

2. Greater increase in supply by "drilling" in Detroit (autos) and Seattle (commercial aircraft) than in drilling anywhere else. Push the technology onto the market, eliminate artificial roadblocks (preferential treatment for competing technologies via campaign contributions), and PRICE THINGS AT THEIR TRUE COST.

I'm guessing the last refers to the idea I've heard before regarding making the gasoline tax actually PAY FOR THE COST of obtaining it. If we put the cost of the Iraq war on gasoline (how much do you think it costs to keep those F-18s in the air?) it would've been over $4/gallon 7 years ago.

3. Micro technology and more efficient electrical use (using current technology which is already in use) can produce more electricity than all the power plants, of any type which we could build in 10 years.

4. Forget nuclear. A lot of people (including many on this site) think, incorrectly, that the reason no one is building nuclear power plants is "environmentalist protests", NOT TRUE. The reason is that it's the MOST EXPENSIVE form of electrical power generation. I remember when I lived in Houston that the South Texas Nuclear Project (STP) represented 90% of Houston Lighting and Power's (HL&P) capital, but it only produced 10% of its power!

As for my family we recycle everything we can, have about 90% CFLs for light, haven't run our A/C yet (northern Colorado), collect the water running from the shower waiting for the hot water to hit, we use this to water plants. We also drive 60-65 on the highway, it's amazing how many people still think that this doesn't save gas. There's a word for these people but I can't use it here!

golfgod

Old 07-18-2008, 08:36 AM

The Economics of Nuclear Power

"Nuclear energy is, in many places, competitive with fossil fuel for electricity generation, despite relatively high capital costs and the need to internalise all waste disposal and decommissioning costs. If the social, health and environmental costs of fossil fuels are also taken into account, nuclear is outstanding."

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
No suprise that a study from the nuclear lobbying association would come to that conclusion. Kind of like the API and OPEC saying how good petroleum is.

No one wants to talk about simple CONSERVATION. Not the "slow down to 55, take cold showers, freeze in the winter, boil in the summer" kind. Remember during the (Enron induced) electrical "shortage" in CA during 2000, all the right wingers will yelling that of course it's CA's fault because "they haven't built a new generator in XX years".

Of course no one wanted to point out that in about a 10 year stretch many (mostly northern CA) counties, cities etc went on a conservation kick. My city GAVE us low flow toilets (IIRC pumping water is the 3rd biggest user of electricity in CA) and had low or no interest loans for energy savings like extra insulation. Remember, 90% of your heat gain is through your roof.

In comparing stats at a community meeting the other night we discovered some things about our neighbors and us.

We use about 30% less electricity per household member
We use about ONE HALF the water per household member
We use about 25% less natural gas (heat and hot water) per household member

We get 28 mpg on the interstate on average. That's in a 2004 Lexus RX 3.3 liter, 5 speed automatic, and a 2002 Infinity, 3.5 liter 4 speed automatic. We drive about 63-65 mph.

I can't wait until we get on a real energy saving kick in our house.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies