Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times

Advertisements

From your own U of Toronto link:

My point here is not to say that all of the studies failed to equate the games or that those that did equate them found no effect on aggression. Rather, the point is that in considering all of the research, it is important to understand that few of the experiments came close to solving and none solved perfectly the tricky problem of making the violent and non-violent games comparable on all variables other than the amount of violence. It may be that this cannot be done, but we must recognize that it is a limitation of the work and a serious limitation in some of the experiments.

The lack of comparability of the video games is not a subtle or picky criticism - it is absolutely basic to the design and interpretation of the research because it leaves open the interpretation of any difference that is found between conditions. And as in other media violence research, one obvious interpretation is that any effect is due to differences in arousal. Indeed, in their review of the research Anderson and Bushman found that exposure to violent video games increased physiological arousal. If the violent video game is more arousing than the non-violent comparison program, one would expect more aggression (or almost anything else) in the condition with higher arousal.

Basically, they don't dispute the Anderson and Bushman study results, however they claim that there could be multiple variables contributing to behavior. In other words, the research shows a linkage that could be attributable to other factors, such as predispositions towards being interested in more violent games being a core variable in behavior attributes vs the games themselves.

The Illinois paper was mostly just a summary without core analysis, hypothesizing that teamwork and interactions should be factored into future game impact studies too. It doesn't have data concerning specific studies that can be critically evaluated. The London stuff was just an article summarizing other work, not their own critical evaluation.

So where we are is the data I provided is very specific, however root cause is subject to critical evaluation. Such is life when conducting studies evaluating behavior, however there are indications in the Anderson study of substantive stimulus-behavior linkage. Cause for linkage could be subsequently critically evaluated, likely using multi-variate evaluation and segmentation techniques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,312,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
same goes the other way... not until asked
Come on now, you know the internet. You can't say something is so without providing a link or some sort of backup. Otherwise you have no credibility.

You made assertions, didn't provide backup. When requested to provide backup you got all huffy. It's absolutely valid for people to ask for links when you make assertions.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,425,669 times
In my own personal experiences, no video games do not bring increased violence, there are other factors that help to bring violence forward

i have literally played video games since I was very young, instead of going to the park with my father to toss a ball, we would sit in the house and dog fight, or when I was a little more grown we would play games like Doom, or Wolfinstine etc. chasing another with guns for hours at a time. We would play games Like Warcraft, or starcraft and even Command and Conjure and spawn huge army's to wipe each other away. Not only did this start back in 1983, but it continues to this day where we have a "family game night" each Thursday, we have my father, myself, my two brothers, uncles and even 65 year old family friends that join us on a rented server (so we can all join in wherever we live) we have massive wars between the family members.

Now, if you were to take my brothers friends and other family members and do studys, none of us turned out violent, or have violent tendency's. I am not desensitized as some would say you become if you play these games too much (I refuse to watch anything where I know someone is getting hurt)

What has games done for me? I am extremely computer savvy, I got into a tech job with more experience with computers than most coming out of college have after 4 years and thousands of dollars of tuition. I have a wonderfully job designing homes, and take to new programs with ease and speed. I know what I have to do to get the computer to do what I want, I have never had to call tech support, nor do I buy or use prebuilt machines.

I think games (if used age appropriate) actually help a person, it helps with hand / eye coordination, it helps problem solving development and various other things.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:14 PM

231 posts, read 157,415 times
I'm pretty sure there was violence before video games.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:21 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,885,537 times
I think video games are violent movies are scapegoats for parents that don't parent their kids... the one thing I notice is that there is a remarkable sharp decline in parenting time of kids, oftentimes, these kids are left to do things on their own without significant parenting... I remember when my parents were constantly around me and my siblings and fast forward to today, I say there is about 85% less parenting... you could ask the parents where their kids are and most of the time they really don't know..."Oh, they are at the mall with friends."... I don't remember ever going to a mall by myself or with friends... I think its the easiest way to "slip" out of parenting because nobody likes responsibility... parents blame video games and movies for increased violence? As long as the blame doesn't fall on them... even with "ratings" and stuff on video games and movies, do you see parents being parents about what their kids do or see? Nope... but lets still blame the scapegoat... I played video games most of my life and violent ones at that... involved a lot of killing... the more you kill the higher level you are.. Last time I check, I am doing pretty well... oh, my parents were also being "parents"...

Old 07-19-2008, 05:36 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,499,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
From your own U of Toronto link:

My point here is not to say that all of the studies failed to equate the games or that those that did equate them found no effect on aggression. Rather, the point is that in considering all of the research, it is important to understand that few of the experiments came close to solving and none solved perfectly the tricky problem of making the violent and non-violent games comparable on all variables other than the amount of violence. It may be that this cannot be done, but we must recognize that it is a limitation of the work and a serious limitation in some of the experiments.

The lack of comparability of the video games is not a subtle or picky criticism - it is absolutely basic to the design and interpretation of the research because it leaves open the interpretation of any difference that is found between conditions. And as in other media violence research, one obvious interpretation is that any effect is due to differences in arousal. Indeed, in their review of the research Anderson and Bushman found that exposure to violent video games increased physiological arousal. If the violent video game is more arousing than the non-violent comparison program, one would expect more aggression (or almost anything else) in the condition with higher arousal.

Basically, they don't dispute the Anderson and Bushman study results, however they claim that there could be multiple variables contributing to behavior. In other words, the research shows a linkage that could be attributable to other factors, such as predispositions towards being interested in more violent games being a core variable in behavior attributes vs the games themselves.

The Illinois paper was mostly just a summary without core analysis, hypothesizing that teamwork and interactions should be factored into future game impact studies too. It doesn't have data concerning specific studies that can be critically evaluated. The London stuff was just an article summarizing other work, not their own critical evaluation.

So where we are is the data I provided is very specific, however root cause is subject to critical evaluation. Such is life when conducting studies evaluating behavior, however there are indications in the Anderson study of substantive stimulus-behavior linkage. Cause for linkage could be subsequently critically evaluated, likely using multi-variate evaluation and segmentation techniques.
and the others???

Old 07-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Come on now, you know the internet. You can't say something is so without providing a link or some sort of backup. Otherwise you have no credibility.

You made assertions, didn't provide backup. When requested to provide backup you got all huffy. It's absolutely valid for people to ask for links when you make assertions.
I did provie backup.. and I only got huffy because he/she said that wiki is not a good source... So I said mine is not from wiki

Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHusseinMoore View Post
I'm pretty sure there was violence before video games.
yes, thank you...

Old 07-19-2008, 05:46 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,873,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think video games are violent movies are scapegoats for parents that don't parent their kids... the one thing I notice is that there is a remarkable sharp decline in parenting time of kids, oftentimes, these kids are left to do things on their own without significant parenting... I remember when my parents were constantly around me and my siblings and fast forward to today, I say there is about 85% less parenting... you could ask the parents where their kids are and most of the time they really don't know..."Oh, they are at the mall with friends."... I don't remember ever going to a mall by myself or with friends... I think its the easiest way to "slip" out of parenting because nobody likes responsibility... parents blame video games and movies for increased violence? As long as the blame doesn't fall on them... even with "ratings" and stuff on video games and movies, do you see parents being parents about what their kids do or see? Nope... but lets still blame the scapegoat... I played video games most of my life and violent ones at that... involved a lot of killing... the more you kill the higher level you are.. Last time I check, I am doing pretty well... oh, my parents were also being "parents"...
My mother and my teachers were like that. In middle school, whenever I acted up, they always blamed the type of games I played. Women! I've been initiated into video game violence for a long time and it hasn't affected me a bit.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
My mother and my teachers were like that. In middle school, whenever I acted up, they always blamed the type of games I played. Women! I've been initiated into video game violence for a long time and it hasn't affected me a bit.
Big deal, if you have no predisposition towards violent behavior these games will not cause this to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies